• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best & Worst: TOP 5 WORST Magic Kingdom Over Rated Things! - 10/19

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Join Pete Werner and Oliver Green as they share their opinion on the 'TOP 5 WORST Magic Kingdom Over Rated Things!'

First off - I am so glad that I have been able to take my children to Cinderella's Royal Table so that they won't grow up to be homeless drug addicts ;)

I found I largely agreed with Pete's list - especially when focusing on "overrated" (not necessarily bad). While I love Space Mountain the standby line is always crazy and, as mentioned, the Disneyland version is better (I actually liked the version at Hong Kong Disneyland even better than in California)

I really disagreed with Oliver though - either he just picked bad things that no one likes (Stitch) or he bashes opening day attractions that are classics and are great for kids to run around and explore (Swiss Family Tree House, Tom Sawyer Island)

As for mine, I go with (and again, focusing on "overrated"):
- Peter Pan's Flight (I love it, try to go every trip - but not worth a 75 min wait)
- Space Mountain (same reasons Pete said and again, I try to get a FP for it, but never would wait 90+mins)
- Festival of Fantasy parade (controversial I know, and I enjoyed it, but the way people were going on about it I was expecting more. To be fair, after seeing Paint the Night I think all other parades are ruined for me)
- Be Our Guest (I really like it but I don't think if we didn't get an ADR it's the end of the world. Definitely something to do once, but not worth the craziness)
- Astro Orbiter (we just never ride it as it is just a spinner and always has a 40+ min wait)

Before the changed the menu my #1 would have been Peco's Bill as I heard people gushing about it and it was the most tasteless food I have ever had combined with the most crowded dining area

Last edited:
My sister is one of the Be Our Guest obsessed so of course I agree with Pete that it's overrated because of all the stress it's gonna cause me booking our ADRs

People who go once every few years will disagree.
People who go once a year will say 'yeah I can see that'.
Annual pass holders know doing any of these things once or twice is enough.

Sorry about BOG, but every time I go it gets less and less worth the wait.

I love the best and worst!

Oliver-Tom Sawyer's Island is for hyperactive toddlers and preschoolers that need to run around and climb and burn some energy and stretch there muscles on things in an uncrowded area. My son at that age could happily spend 30 minutes there when he just needed to run around without having to hold my hand or be strapped into a stroller and not have to wait to do anything.

You will never enjoy the island if you are old enough to read this post. The island is not for you.

Maybe it is like the Alcatraz of Disney but even Alcatraz has people lining up to go there. I had to book my ferry ticket 2 months in advance the last time we went.

Last edited:
I agree with Be Our Guest and CRT. We ate at CRT once and will not need to do it again. The food was terrible and our server rushed us through. At BOG the food is much better than CRT but not where we must go every time. We ate in the West Wing the last time and it was so loud. We were a big group and we could hardly hear the person sitting next to us. I would not stay in that room again.

I disagree with Be Our Guest and Cinderella's Royal Table. I like that I can go somewhere and meet the Princess and not have to stand in line. I love the view. Be Our Guest is the same for me. I love the theme and the food.

My sister is one of the Be Our Guest obsessed so of course I agree with Pete that it's overrated because of all the stress it's gonna cause me booking our ADRs

Not sure if she wants lunch or dinner but I just booked 14 people for lunch at noon a few days before Easter and I'm staying offsite so I didn't have the advantage of 180+10.
I've never had a problem getting a lunch ADR there but I was shocked at how easily I got this one!
So don't stress too much and I've been 7 times for lunch and have ye tot be disappoointed so I don't think its overrated.

Awesome and hilarious episode. Don't even care if they picked the same things I would have--their silly/snarky reasons are the best.

Not sure if she wants lunch or dinner but I just booked 14 people for lunch at noon a few days before Easter and I'm staying offsite so I didn't have the advantage of 180+10.
I've never had a problem getting a lunch ADR there but I was shocked at how easily I got this one!
So don't stress too much and I've been 7 times for lunch and have ye tot be disappoointed so I don't think its overrated.

Thanks. We're booking lunch preferably in one of two days where we'll be at MK

I love these little episodes. I agree with some, some not so much. I'm with Pete about BOG, to start with I think any restaurant or ride that if you miss you think your vacation is ruined is over rated. Seriously, there are plenty of places to eat, rides to ride and things to see, missing one isn't going to bust the vacation. I'm also with Pete about SM, that thing just hurts my neck to no end. I'm a smaller woman and my poor little head gets bounced around like a basketball, to top that off, it goes down more than it's up. I haven't eaten at CRT but I have a boy child (man now) so it was never on our radar. I also agree about Starbucks, all the way, it's crappy coffee, it has no reason to be in WDW and it's not worth the wait. I can't remember Pete's other one so I must not have cared one way or another.

Now poor ole Ollie was way off the boat for me. There are very few who like Stich so it isn't over rated. I'm sort of ehh about all the stage shows, I'll stop and watch them if they are happening when I'm walking by but I won't stand around and wait for them. Mickey's Phil. is another one of those that I'll stop into if it's pouring rain and everything else is shut down but I'm not sure it's highly rated is it? Do people wail if they don't get in? I love Swiss Family Treehouse. If you have read the book or seen the classic Disney movie, you get the attraction. We do it every time we go and I'm not a spring chicken and my son has permanent nerve damage in his back but we still love to climb that tree. I haven't done Tom Sawyer's Island in years, but when my son was young it was a must do. He could run off that energy, I could sit in the shade, he could even take a nap on a bench once he'd run off the energy, it is perfect. Would I wait in line for it? Probably not, but again I'm not sure it's over rated because I'm not sure people wail when they miss it.

Mine would be :

SDMT - it's cute and I try to ride it when I'm there but I wouldn't wait in line 70 min. for it.
Buzz Lightyear - seriously, how do you even know when you have hit the target? If there is a 5 min. wait, and I'm bored I'll do it but I'm not waiting in line longer than 10 min. for it.
Peter Pan - I get it, it's cute and if you've read the books or seen any of the million movies, it cute but seriously, 75 min. wait? Nope.
BOG - I'm with Pete on this and I don't even think the food is that good and it's way over priced. Go to Skipper's Canteen and sit down and be waited on instead.
The parade - I know, tar and feather me but seriously is it worth running over someone's small child so you can get your IPAD up in the air to film it so anyone else behind you can't see it any way? Nope. Again, if I'm stuck between lands because it's happening, I'll stop and watch it but the first time that bozo raises that IPAD or that pushy person who is taller than me but must be in front of me appears, I'm out of there.

Disney does need to bite the bullet on a few fronts and just close attractions for complete renovations. This is the case with Space Mountain. Disneyland's SM was completely gutted and rebuilt back before it's 50th (due to safety reasons) but that allowed them to fix issues and add everything to the ride that lets it morph into hyperspace or ghost galaxy. That being said I still love SM, I still get that thrill that I'm going to lose my head on a support beam and those sudden jostles still get me every time.

On Olly's list it seems that his issues with Tom Sawyer and Swiss Family are lack of connection. I believe he stated that he isn't an outdoors guy in the Fort Wilderness episode, which is part of their appeal. The other part is that these attractions were essentially visiting the sets of movies. While Tom Sawyer is more of a conglomeration of multiple western/adventure properties, Swiss Family was a set. Yet without a connection to things such as Swiss Family, Davy Crocket, Spin and Marty, these attractions loose something. I only thought Swiss Family was meh, but the outdoors man in me always thought it would be interesting to sleep in a place like the tree house. Similar with Tom Sawyer its nice to walk around and explore on cool days but parts of the island are not a adult friendly, some of those tunnels get tight.

So my list:
Buzz Lightyear - With so many other better similar attraction in Orlando this one just feel like the carnival knockoff. If they improved the guns and graphics it could be saved.
Cinderella Royal Table - The experience doesn't match the price. Maybe if it was more engaging like the Halloween event they did it would be worth it.
Astro Orbiter - Another aerial carousel. The added height is nice but many part of the ride are uncomfortable. Packing into the elevator, being up there on a sunny warm day. It doesn't offer enough uniqueness, i would rather do the waiting room at dumbo.
Peter Pan - I still consider this one of the best designed rides of the Walt era. Sight Lines, innovation and those moments of awe mix perfectly here; but it is time to rebuild this. Technology and materials have advanced enough that the same ride could be built but better. Those few times I do decide to wait for this ride my fond idea of the ride is always let down my the worn dated appearance.
SDMT - This is a nice kiddy coaster but all the time and money didn't pay off for me. The beautiful themeing of the attraction is great but I just don't think it actually enhances the ride enough to make it something unique.

I forgot about Starbucks. If people like it so much why dedicate prime real estate to it, move it back to Gastons and bring our beloved Main Street Bakery back.

This isn't even a matter of over rated. It just plain pisses people off. I have called and emailed but thats not going to do it. Are we allowed to picket???

Overrated:

7DMT...not worth waiting more than 5 minutes for.

Dole Whip...blech.

BOG...the food is good and the atmosphere is lovely but not worth getting worked up over.

Peter Pan...Adorable and I do ride it each trip, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if we missed it.

Daytime parades...too hot to stand around in the prime of the day.

Not sure how this ride isn't ALWAYS mentioned. It takes up SOOO much space.
Tomorrowland Speedway!!!
This could be used for so many awesome things and is in no way "futuristic".

Space mountain doesn't even feel safe to me. I'm surprised little kids aren't flung out. The sides are super low and the safety bar doesn't seem to do much to hold you in. Much prefer the design of the 7DMT cars with high sides. I'm all for thrills, but I don't want to be legitimately concerned about a rickety ride like I'm at some cheap carnival.

I forgot about Starbucks. If people like it so much why dedicate prime real estate to it, move it back to Gastons and bring our beloved Main Street Bakery back.

This isn't even a matter of over rated. It just plain pisses people off. I have called and emailed but thats not going to do it. Are we allowed to picket???

Sure - you can pocket - or you can pick something else. :D

I agree about Starbucks. In Disneyland I would rather get a mocha at Jolly Holiday then Starbucks.

I don't mind the Starbucks....on property (like Disney Springs). But not in the parks! It's nice to get my favorite coffee, but I'd prefer more unique offering - like the Main Street Bakery. I don't think I ever managed to see it, but it sounds up my alley!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter