Best Wines: $20 and under

I have yet to find a cheap red I really like, but my two favorite whites right now are:

Bohemian Highway Chardonnay
Redwood Creek pinot Grigio

Both under $9 per bottle. I love the Kendall-Jackson and Coppola wines as well, but those are a couple of bucks too expensive for my taste!

Meanwhile, do you have any wineries within an hour's drive or so? Most wineries have free tastings...or a least only require a nominal cover charge. Take a day trip. That's the best way to get knowledgeable about wines.

The brand dawson 5 is refering to is bella sera-they make a nice pinot griot.

On of the things you should try is several different types of the same varietal-it helps you learn what you like and why different wines are priced differently-since several others have mentioned shiraz here are a few to compare
yellowtail-averages 7.99 retail
rosemont estate-averages 9.99 retail
Angovese Red Belly Black-averages 11.99 retail
Shingleback-averages 20 retail.
theres a pretty signifigant difference even though these are all made from the same grape-sryah or shiraz-grown in the same area-south east austrailia.
I love the shingleback-but yellowtail is decent enough.

We really have not found wine that we liked until we tried Duplin wine. To us it is the best we have had. I like sweet wine and this wine is made from Muscadine grapes it is so good. We have tried the Hatteras Red, Carolina Red, Bald Head Red, Blackberry, Brices Creek, Black River Red, Christmas Eve, and Scuppernog. We enjoyed all of them but we did have our favorites and they are Hatteras and Carolina Reds, Black River Red I swear it is like sucking on grapes so so good. Those are all about 8.00-9.00 a bottle.
I have included the link to the winery.
www.duplinwinery.com

The brand dawson 5 is refering to is bella sera-they make a nice pinot griot.

On of the things you should try is several different types of the same varietal-it helps you learn what you like and why different wines are priced differently-since several others have mentioned shiraz here are a few to compare
yellowtail-averages 7.99 retail
rosemont estate-averages 9.99 retail
Angovese Red Belly Black-averages 11.99 retail
Shingleback-averages 20 retail.
theres a pretty signifigant difference even though these are all made from the same grape-sryah or shiraz-grown in the same area-south east austrailia.
I love the shingleback-but yellowtail is decent enough.

I looked at the bella sera that you posted, it is not it. I posted on another site about this wine (friend there, his FIL works for a wine dist.). I am trying to find all the info that I gave him, their search feature does not work though, so it's a lot of sifting.

Guenoc Petite Sirah is really nice and usually around $17
Markham Merlot is about $22 and great
Flying Fish Merlot $12 at Publix here-they charge that for a glass of it at WDW
Fairview Pinotage (South Africa) is nice about $12
We just tried Kenwoods Jack London Cab at PFTS and it was really nice! $20-$25
I like Cloudline Pinot Noir $15-$17-again they charged about $12 for a glass at Narcoossee's

I mostly drink Chardonnays. Some ones I really like...

Coppola
Kendall Jackson
Hess
Clois Du Bois
Cupcake (new favorite from WDW)

All are around $10-$14, less when on sale

...love, love, LOVE ....LAYER CAKE!! !~shiraz~

just one of many awesome reviews....
"When I first tasted Layer Cake a few weeks ago I was blown away by its dark, dense and inky textbook Shiraz unctuousity, and bountiful dark fruit without being overtly lush. Intense mocha undertones accentuate a weighty mid-palate and gorgeous mouthfeel, yet the wine is shockingly light on its feet and finishes clean and pure.

Later in the day I called in Mark and Jason, two of Crush's New World experts, and without telling them what the wine was, asked them to taste and tell me how much they would pay as a customer. After blind tasting, they thought it was a $30-$35 bottle, and when I told them that it could be sold for less than $20, they flipped out."

and the bottle is darn cute too!

If you have a friend that is knowledgeable about wines, how about asking their help with a wine tasting party? You can have your guests each bring a bottle of their favorite under $20 wine and your friend could assist in the tasting and describing and whatever else goes on at those expensive parties. I think that would be a lot of fun! All you would have to supply is maybe some wine crackers, cheese, and a light dessert.

My favorite "cheap" wine is Rancho Zabacho Zinfandel (red). It's great in the colder months as Zin is a heavier wine. (with a higher alcohol content.) I used to be able to get this for about $6/bottle, but I think it's closer to $15 now.

I also laughed at boxed wine. And they only recently started to put red wine in a box-which is what I prefer. I found some at Target-small boxes of Cab and one of Merlot. I took them to WDW because they seemed easier to transport, and they were pretty good! They were on sale for $9.99 and they each contained the equivalent of two bottles of wine.
Is this the one you like? Sounds good I want to know what the bottle looks like will make it easier for me to find. Did you also find it at Target?
http://www.ranchozabaco.com/OurWines/RanchoMain.asp

Is this the one you like? Sounds good I want to know what the bottle looks like will make it easier for me to find. Did you also find it at Target?
http://www.ranchozabaco.com/OurWines/RanchoMain.asp

Yes, the black label is what I am used to..the lighter colored label may be a special edition? I don't know if Target carries it, I used to get it at Sam's.

I think I originally spelled it wrong. It's Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel. Wish I had a bottle right now!

Seghesio Zinfandel is another good one. I used to get that for around $9/bottle, now it's around $20-25. I used to buy that and the Rancho Zabaco by the case.

ETA: I got curious about the white label, still don't know about it. But I did find a better copy of the label and another review of the RZ. http://winecask.blogspot.com/2008/06/rancho-zabaco-sonoma-heritage-vines.html

another ETA. I just went back and looked at your user name. This is funny- I used to live in Michigan AND S.C. !

Yes, the black label is what I am used to..the lighter colored label may be a special edition? I don't know if Target carries it, I used to get it at Sam's.

I think I originally spelled it wrong. It's Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel. Wish I had a bottle right now!

Seghesio Zinfandel is another good one. I used to get that for around $9/bottle, now it's around $20-25. I used to buy that and the Rancho Zabaco by the case.

ETA: I got curious about the white label, still don't know about it. But I did find a better copy of the label and another review of the RZ. http://winecask.blogspot.com/2008/06/rancho-zabaco-sonoma-heritage-vines.html

another ETA. I just went back and looked at your user name. This is funny- I used to live in Michigan AND S.C. !
:rotfl:

Thank you :) I shop at Sams club all the time.

We were at the Epcot Food and Wine and went to the King Estates winery session.. the website is www.kingestate.com

we tasted the signiture pinot gris and the pinot noir.. both were very yummy and under $20..

We are fans of buying wine at Trader Joes. Their Charles Shaw wines are good and inexpensive. I'm sure you can get them at places other than TJs.

From the TJ's website:
If there’s been one constant in our wine selection lately, it’s got to be Charles Shaw. Lovingly nicknamed “Two Buck Chuck” by a member of the wine press, these California wines have become something of a phenomenon in the wine world, and in our stores. Contrary to many an urban legend, these super-value wines began as the result of an oversupply of wine and a great relationship with a valued supplier. They’ve become the nation’s best-selling wines, not surprising when you consider the combination of low price ($1.99 - $3.49 per bottle, depending on the region) and great taste Charles Shaw wines offer. Depending on the season and the quality of wine available, our selection of Charles Shaw varietals will vary, but the quality never will.

Black Box boxed wines are very good. Their reds are much better then their whites imho. I like that I don't waste half a bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter