Best Western hotel advice

larie21

Mouseketeer
Has any one ever stayed at the Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn or Best Western Plus Pavilions on the corner of Katella & Disneyland Dr.? They have great prices for our dates right now. My main concern is the distance to the parks. How long does it take to walk to the parks? Can we walk along Disneyland Dr & enter from the hotel side? Or do we have to enter on the Harbor St entrance?

We've stayed at Stovall's once. We planned to hotel hop to Paradise Pier the next day, so Stovall's was the most convenient. It was our beginning travel day, so we checked into Stovall's and had dinner and shopped in Downtown Disney for a couple hours before turning in for the day. The distance wasn't a big deal (we're in our mid/late 30's), and yes, you CAN just walk north toward the on-site hotels and enter the parks via Downtown Disney. You can't use the Grand Californian's private entrance into DCA unless you're an on-site hotel guest (at least in the morning, sometimes they let anyone use that entrance later in the day), but you CAN cut through the Grand's amazing lobby area into Downtown Disney. I'd say it took about 7 minutes to walk to Paradise Pier Hotel, then about 10 minutes from there to the esplanade between the two park entrances.

We've stayed there and I really like it. The breakfast is great to grab something. The distance is not bad at all. Just walk to GCH and cut through the lobby and DTD.

We have stayed at the Stovall's and enjoyed our stay. I don't remember the walk being very long, over 10 minutes but I am a fast walker. I will be staying there again in a few days. I can report back.

We stayed at BW Pavilions at the beginning of June and we really liked it. The room was very clean. Beds were comfortable. Free parking. Walk to the esplanade took about 10 minutes and we cut through the GCH to get to DTD and get to the bag check that way.

I would totally stay there again. The pool felt very private and they had towels to use poolside.

We stayed at Stovalls, was A very nice, short stroll along DisneyLand drive to the park and we cut through the Grand Californian Hotel each time. The walk back to the hotel was a nice way to relax from a full on day in the park.

Be sure to stop in at Coco's on your way home, is next door to Stovalls Inn, very yummy

Stovall's is about 3/4 mile walk to the main gate, cutting through GCH. So 10-15 minutes depending on your walking speed, not including waiting at crosswalks.

For me, getting to the gate is not what matters. It is the walk back after a full day! Plus, consider if you plan to return to the hotel during the day for breaks/pool - you're looking at 30ish minutes round trip transit time. Last time I stayed at BW Park Place Inn, which is right at the crosswalk on Harbor. It was greatly appreciated in the evenings, and it's hard to understand the value until all you care about is plopping into your bed - especially the one night I had to carry a sleeping child all the way from Storybook Land Canal Boats ;)

So really it's up to you and how tolerant you are to walking that far.

I have stayed at both and would stay there again. It is a bit of a walk but I never found it hard even at the end of the day. I was talking a few shortcuts, i.e. through parking lots and/or the Hotels. With small children or mobility impaired, I could see it being a little more of an issue. But, if it is a better price, I would take the better price.

I stayed at Stovalls and loved it! Loved the walk so much more then walking down Harbor! I will actually choose to stay there over most Harbor hotels in the future as I prefer my children not hear people at the bus stop screaming obscenities down the street as we are walking to Disneyland... (Happened more then once)

Right next door to BW Pavilions is Marri's Pizza. It gets great reviews on Yelp and has been in business for several years. They deliver to all the local motels & hotels.

I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Pavilions on both of my trips (2012 and 2014) and I love it. The rooms are clean and the staff are always lovely and helpful! There is a convenience store right next door which is great for buying water and snacks and Denny's is on the other side which we found super handy if we were wanting to grab a quick bite to eat. The walk from the hotel to Disneyland isn't too long, just walk to the Grand Californian and use their entrance to downtown Disney. We would stop by Starbucks each morning and grab a coffee on our way to the parks. There is a bus stop right outside if you are using the magical express or any Southern California Grayline tours, you get picked up and dropped off right outside the hotel!!!

One thing to keep in mind is the walk time will vary a bit depending on the time of day. In the early morning, there's no issue getting through DTD. But in the evening, when you have to navigate through masses of humanity, it can add 5-10 minutes to your walk time.

One thing to keep in mind is the walk time will vary a bit depending on the time of day. In the early morning, there's no issue getting through DTD. But in the evening, when you have to navigate through masses of humanity, it can add 5-10 minutes to your walk time.
That is so true! I was even frustrated with that when we stayed at DLH.
This thread is super helpful. I've stayed at a few of the Harbor hotels, but am now considering one of the BWs for the different scenery :)

We have stayed at the Stovall's and enjoyed our stay. I don't remember the walk being very long, over 10 minutes but I am a fast walker. I will be staying there again in a few days. I can report back.

Just found this thread searching for info about staying at Stovall's. Have you had a chance to do any kind of trip report? or can you give some thoughts here? any pictures? Did you ever use ART to or back from the park, and if so, how were the ride times? the ART from Hojo's is great going, when you don't need it, but going back at night it is a lonnnnnng ride! we don't do hojo's anymore :(

Has any one ever stayed at the Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn or Best Western Plus Pavilions on the corner of Katella & Disneyland Dr.? They have great prices for our dates right now. My main concern is the distance to the parks. How long does it take to walk to the parks? Can we walk along Disneyland Dr & enter from the hotel side? Or do we have to enter on the Harbor St entrance?
I haven't stayed at any of the places you mention.

Here's a link to a thread that might give you some info to help decide.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/walking-distance-hotel-list-w-discussion-details-of-hotels.2796786/
Please note the date of the thread.

Geemo

The last two times we stayed at Stovalls in were not the best. The first time they messed up our rooms and gave us a smoking one and the second mishandled our stay from beginning to end. The front desk people are less then nice, with a manager who seems bored all the time. The rooms are plain but functioning. The breakfast except for the front and bagels has recently been downsized and is not the most appetizing.

The walk is 15 minutes and not bad at all.

Just found this thread searching for info about staying at Stovall's. Have you had a chance to do any kind of trip report? or can you give some thoughts here? any pictures? Did you ever use ART to or back from the park, and if so, how were the ride times? the ART from Hojo's is great going, when you don't need it, but going back at night it is a lonnnnnng ride! we don't do hojo's anymore :(

I don't have a trip report but I will give you a few impressions... This was my second time staying at the BW Stovall's. This time the desk attendants were friendly checking in and out (they weren't so much when we stayed in 2007). I had requested on our reservation to stay near the front of the resort so we could be closer to the cross walk and that was accomodated. The room we stayed in this time was updated since our last stay, both times our room was very clean. The only main beef we had with the room was the air conditioner, it was loud and would turn on and off frequently. After the first night though it didn't bother us so much, probably because we were so tired from being in the parks. My husband and I had the continental breakfast a couple times, it was okay, a standard breakfast for that type of hotel. There was a hot selection with bacon one day and sausage another, french toast sticks, eggs, bananas, and pastries. The room seemed to be open all day and one day on the way back from the park we picked up some bananas for a snack. We also used the pool area and it is a nice pool area with covered lounging areas, two pools, and two hot tubs. The pools seemed clean, and it was a cute area with the topiaries and I liked being able to see California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel while being in the pool.

The walk from the Stovall's took around 15-18 minutes depending on our energy level (we often timed ourselves to see how long it would take). We have never used the ART so I do not know the times. I saw a few people waiting for it in the morning but I think I only saw it once, but I wasn't really on the look out for it. We thought about taking it but it seemed quicker just to walk, I also enjoy cutting through the Grand Californian it is really pretty in there. We also used the walk as an excuse to go over to the Disneyland hotel and go to Trader Sam's or have breakfast at Tangaroa Terrace.

I can only get a picture of our room to post. On a side note we will also be staying here in late December. It may be a bit of a longer walk than the ones on Harbor but the price is usually lower.
IMG_0685.JPG

I don't have a trip report but I will give you a few impressions... This was my second time staying at the BW Stovall's. This time the desk attendants were friendly checking in and out (they weren't so much when we stayed in 2007). I had requested on our reservation to stay near the front of the resort so we could be closer to the cross walk and that was accomodated. The room we stayed in this time was updated since our last stay, both times our room was very clean. The only main beef we had with the room was the air conditioner, it was loud and would turn on and off frequently. After the first night though it didn't bother us so much, probably because we were so tired from being in the parks. My husband and I had the continental breakfast a couple times, it was okay, a standard breakfast for that type of hotel. There was a hot selection with bacon one day and sausage another, french toast sticks, eggs, bananas, and pastries. The room seemed to be open all day and one day on the way back from the park we picked up some bananas for a snack. We also used the pool area and it is a nice pool area with covered lounging areas, two pools, and two hot tubs. The pools seemed clean, and it was a cute area with the topiaries and I liked being able to see California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel while being in the pool.

The walk from the Stovall's took around 15-18 minutes depending on our energy level (we often timed ourselves to see how long it would take). We have never used the ART so I do not know the times. I saw a few people waiting for it in the morning but I think I only saw it once, but I wasn't really on the look out for it. We thought about taking it but it seemed quicker just to walk, I also enjoy cutting through the Grand Californian it is really pretty in there. We also used the walk as an excuse to go over to the Disneyland hotel and go to Trader Sam's or have breakfast at Tangaroa Terrace.

I can only get a picture of our room to post. On a side note we will also be staying here in late December. It may be a bit of a longer walk than the ones on Harbor but the price is usually lower.
View attachment 121759
Thanks for all that! it does help a lot :) the room looks really nice. We are trying to choose a place that is nice enough to spend some time at, and withing an easy walk to some other nice places to be, like the Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel with the restaurants and lounges. We want to have some other dining choices other than what is right on Harbor blvd. Being able to walk to the hotels for a nice breakfast buffet or an evening at Trader Sams is at least as important to us this trip, as proximity to getting in and out of the park easily. At our ages now, getting in as many rides as possible is not a priority anymore! lol.... Having to walk through the esplanade and bag checks to get back and forth to those hotels was a real pain last time! Being able to walk a few minutes to Steakhouse 55 sounds awesome! and from there we can hop the monorail to get into DL. or stopping by Storytellers to eat and going into CA to ride soarin, then back to the hotel without having to do the esplanade....yes this sounds really good. Thanks for helping me make a decision! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter