Best WDW apps? (non-Verizon, please!)

gailpet

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are finally getting smart phones and web access this week and I don't know anything about "apps" but have heard there are WDW apps that can help with wait times, etc. at the parks.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get such an app? And which ones are the best?

We don't have Verizon, so we can't get the one I've seen advertised -- we have T-Mobile service if that makes a difference.

I'm so clueless about this techy stuff!!! Any help is appreciated or guiding me to the right location!!!

gailpet said:
My DH and I are finally getting smart phones and web access this week and I don't know anything about "apps" but have heard there are WDW apps that can help with wait times, etc. at the parks.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get such an app? And which ones are the best?

We don't have Verizon, so we can't get the one I've seen advertised -- we have T-Mobile service if that makes a difference.

I'm so clueless about this techy stuff!!! Any help is appreciated or guiding me to the right location!!!

Disney Mobile Magic is my preferred app of choice for this purpose, and it is available for free in the iTunes App Store. It is no longer limited to Verizon customers.

you didn'tt say if you have an iPhone or an Android but I know that the Mobile Magic app that was Verizon now works on Sprint iPhones. I use Lines, the Unofficial Guide App, it's a paid app but I've used it on both BlackBerry and Android with success. These are my favorites. Haven't had a chance to try out the newest Disney Parks one yet.

we're picking out the phone today but it won't be on Verizon and it won't be a iPhone for sure.

I think the one we're interested in is a Samsung Exhibit II and it will be a prepaid phone from T-Mobile if that means anything?

thanks!

gailpet said:
we're picking out the phone today but it won't be on Verizon and it won't be a iPhone for sure.

I think the one we're interested in is a Samsung Exhibit II and it will be a prepaid phone from T-Mobile if that means anything?

thanks!

I do recommend the iPhone though... Lol
I have the my Disney experience app and the mobile magic. I hear the mobile magic is more accurate. You do not have to have Verizon to use it. I have sprint and mine works...
Be careful to get a beefy plan though if you are getting smart phones for the first time. You will be on it a Lot at first and may use a lot of data. Congrats on the upgrade and good luck!

Hidden Mickey's is a great app and a lot of fun! Our whole family gets very competitive while we're there :)! TWiz is a good one if you're not familiar with how to get around to various locations as well!

just put Mobile Magic on our Android. Looks neat, but can't see much using it at home. I like undercover tourist too. Their restaurant guide seems to give better info. It's free from Google store on your android.

Be prepared for the shakes when u get the app and see what it can do.
I cannot wait to use it, its going to be a huge help planning character greets , parades, and other special events, that i always seem to forget or am late for.
The reminder alone is awesome
I will be tagging everything i want to see the night before. .

I have an Android - always have, always will. I'm a geek who is not a big fan of Apple products. We have a family AT&T plan. I also have a samsung Galaxy S (yes, it's old, but we're due for a new one soon!!!) and I love it. Great little phone and we've never had one iota of trouble with it.

There are great apps you can get for Android - if you go to www.play.google.com (it's the official Google Play store) and search for Disney, there are tons of free apps to get. Some are also inexpensive (less than $3) which are good too. As an IT Security geek by trade, I feel obligated to stress that you should only download apps from the official Google Play store, and not some 3rd party site - that way can lie ugly old malware! Just be careful (the free AVG antivirus program for your phone helps) when downloading applications.

I use the following Disney apps:

* Mobile Magic. I've never used it at WDW (the last time we went, it was only for Verizon users), but I'm excited to use it in 32 days. It's kind of cool to see it from home!

* Lines. This is a free app, but I think it requires a subscription to the Touring Plans website. If you have the Unofficial Guide to Disney World (which is a great resource), you get a discount on the site. This app was really helpful to us on our last trip. It's also neat to get an idea of what rides are the most/least busy before you go. Helps with planning.

* Our Laughing Place Transportation Wizard. This one is NOT free ($1.99), but it helps directionally challenged people like me figure out how to get from point a to point b at WDW.

* DisBoards App - of course I can't forget this one! It's free and it's lovely.

* Haunted Mansion sounds. This is just an app with sounds from the Haunted Mansion. Is very helpful when the ride breaks down and you're just sitting there. LOL I have one for Pirates of the Caribbean too, though that never breaks down on me. It also gets me in the mood. It kept the kid next to us in the airplane entertained while we were traveling to WDW as well - he LOVED Capt. Jack!

* Disney Vacation Countdown Widget - it's a little application that counts down your trip. Free, easy, simple.

* If you have kids, there are a bunch of apps which link to Disney YouTube videos. Remember that data rates and stuff will apply.

Hope you enjoy your new gadget and hope it makes your stay even better!

Mobile Magic is cool, and it's much cooler when you get in the parks and the stuff starts working (you have to be at the world before certain parts will work) and it's free and pretty sure will work on any droid device. mine happens to be verizon, but the app is free now.

lines seems ok, but yes, I think it does require the sub to tp.

Our laughing place, unless they have updated it, I know was questionable at times.. Again, I havent really read much about it lately.

Mobile Magic is cool, and it's much cooler when you get in the parks and the stuff starts working (you have to be at the world before certain parts will work) and it's free and pretty sure will work on any droid device. mine happens to be verizon, but the app is free now.

lines seems ok, but yes, I think it does require the sub to tp.

Our laughing place, unless they have updated it, I know was questionable at times.. Again, I havent really read much about it lately.

Lines does require a subscription to touring plans, but I personally think anyone planning a trip to WDW should be subscribing anyway. It's well worth the $10.

i've been using Disney Experience which was quite good but recently i can't see anything apart from the WDW website on the app.

Lines does require a subscription to touring plans, but I personally think anyone planning a trip to WDW should be subscribing anyway. It's well worth the $10.

Most people don't bother subscribing anymore, since you can get better info for free from other places. ;)

Just what info will the Mobile Magic give you when inside the parks?
Hoping for wait time info in particular.

Thanks,

Karen :)

I like the Beers and Ears app. Shows you where you can find your favorite beers anywhere in the World.

I have it on iPhone because it's a stabler OS. I HATE apple's products and their business practices but they have a better OS and i need a dependable phone. I use android on my tablet. Android is community driven and prone to crashes, plus you're depending on the device manufacturer to get around to pushing out OS updates instead of the actual OS developers.

Also mobile magic is great no matter what you're running. I also use the Disney photo-a-day app because the pictures are usually incredible.

Just what info will the Mobile Magic give you when inside the parks?
Hoping for wait time info in particular.

Thanks,

Karen :)

When inside a park, it will give attraction wait times and FP return windows for all attractions in that park. Has agreed with same info posted at the attractions every time I've checked them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter