Best way to surprise your family with a trip to Disney

What is the best way to reveal we are going to Disney?

• Surprise tactic, hit them when they don't expect it!

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Use a device or a character to deliver the message

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
We did a "Wheel of Fortune" puzzle type game posted on the wall that when solved read "we're going to Disney World". Our oldest was big enough to know how to play the game and we let him help his little brother pick letters. They got such a kick out of playing..only wish we had a big wheel to spin!

Wow! You're great with the surprises! I'm usually so excited myself I end up telling the kids. :)

I just planned a last minute spring break trip this week. We leave on the 27th and I haven't told them. I plan to pick them up from school at noon, get in the car and tell them where we're going. I decided to splurge at stay at CR for convenience (on my own with 4 kids) so I'm keeping that a secret until we pull up--they'll flip since they've always wanted to stay in the "hotel with the train" as my 4yo says. ;)

We are surprising the kids this summer. We are leaving on the last day of school (didn't plan it that way, but we had enough snow days that it worked out that way). It will be a half day of school, so when DD7 gets off the bus, I will have written "We are going to Disney World! Right now!" In chalk on the driveway, and I will also have a bag for each of them laid out on the driveway, filled with Disney stuff (books, a stuffed animal, sunglasses, etc).

We are doing a surprise this time. We will drop the kids off at school as per normal and DH and I will load up the car. At lunch we will go pick them up (taking them home for lunch is normal here), and instead of going back to school..we will be driving to the airport!!!!

We surprised my grand daughters a few years ago at ages 6 & 8 on their first trip. We had talked about going to disney for several months and what it was all about so they had some input about rides and charscter meals. They loved our road atlas and would always turn it to Florida and point to Orlando. When they got home from school on an early release day,we had their suitcases packed with a plush minnie mouse on each one and mickey in the middle holding the atlas turned to Florida with a note saying lets go to Disney world today! They were so excited. It's been almost 2 years since our last trip and every so often one of them will ask "are you planning another surprise trip to Disney?" I just laugh and tell them someday.

Oh, well, we like to surprise our kids. Last year, I dressed our son for school, in rather warmish clothing (warmer than necessary for the temp that day) because we were heading straight to the airport in the afternoon (and I find the flights kind of cold). I had told my son's teacher weeks earlier, and when I picked my little Prince up from school, as we were walking home, I asked "Hey, would you like to go to Florida?" and he said "oh, yes Mama, when can we go? and I replied: "how about right now?". By that point, we had reached our home, and my DH was loading up the car. I will never forget the look on his face. My little Princess was at home, jumping up and down with excitement. We had to tell her as she did not have school that day. A few days earlier, I had asked them each to pick out a few favourite toys/school supplies/books, and I secretly packed each of their carry-ons. We had been talking about it, and reading the Disney guide books before bed, but we never really confirmed that we were going.

If you can pull it off, a surprise is so wonderful. I would have loved that as a child. That's why I try to give that to my children now! There's nothing like the feeling you get when you give your kids a surprise like that! It was priceless.

Oh, I just remembered the sweetest thing! When my DH and I got married, my niece and nephew, then 7 & 4, were our flower girl and ring boy. They had never been on a vacation, and my DH and I thought it would be so sweet to send them to DisneyWorld. So, as a thank you to my niece and nephew, and my Mom, for all that she did for me, we paid to send them to DisneyWorld - flights, tickets to the parks and hotel for a week - sister and BIL had to foot their own bill - we're not the Rockefellers! So, I made a huge sign saying: "you're going to DisneyWorld!!!". It was decorated with everything Disney. One evening, when we were all at my Mom's for dinner, my husband left the room, and came back holding the sign. My niece could read it, my poor little nephew had no idea what was going on, but when she read it, she started to scream!!!! "We're going on an airplane!!! We're going on an airplane!!!" Absolutely adorable!!!! They had such a wonderful time, and have since been back many times, and have been on many, many vacations, but this was their first, and I feel blessed that I was able to give that to them, and to surprise them the way that we did. They had NO idea whatsoever that we were planning it.

I am attempting to out do myself!!! I have taken my family to Disney a bunch of times, and each time I try and create the most exciting and explosive way of revealing our trip. The best I have done is on christmas morning I filled a giant box of balloons with a sign that said, "we are going to Disney World"! The balloons floated up, kids went crazy, we left a few days later! I want to beat that, we are going in August, I wanted to tell them that morning, I thought of getting a character to come to the house? What is the best way to surprise your family with a trip???
I am attempting to out do myself!!! I have taken my family to Disney a bunch of times, and each time I try and create the most exciting and explosive way of revealing our trip. The best I have done is on christmas morning I filled a giant box of balloons with a sign that said, "we are going to Disney World"! The balloons floated up, kids went crazy, we left a few days later! I want to beat that, we are going in August, I wanted to tell them that morning, I thought of getting a character to come to the house? What is the best way to surprise your family with a trip???

My 2 girls have been watching these surprise eggs on YouTube: kids open up eggs and get prizes, (I know riveting tv)... My thought was and it works out that we are near Easter, I am going to buy, exceptionally large eggs, fill them with their magic bands, and printed tickets to the restaurants and shows we are going too, and Anna and Elsa will invite them to visit them. My 8 and 2 year old should be very excited!!! But I am looking for a better idea if possible???

We did a scavenger hunt last time. We used post its to write out "you are going to Disney world!" One letter on each piece, the kids were 4,5,7,9 so it took them a little bit to put it all together. For our upcoming trip our flight isn't until 4pm (yuck!! But much cheaper!) so we plan on leaving hidden mickeys in random things for a few days before we go. Then finally decide enough is enough this must be a sign we should go see Mickey... Right now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter