Best Way to Stream Disney+ on a "Non-Smart" TV?

You're still only paying $1.99 for a box????? We haven't paid that low of a price for at least 10 years, I think.
I’m not paying anything for my boxes with AT&T internet/Directv . They were running a special that the equipment was free when I signed up for service in 2016. And I’ve been able to renegotiate with them the last 2 years since the initial 2 year contract ended. I’m paying around $90/month for the choice package and unlimited 75 mbps Internet. I do get a $25/month credit because of my cellphone plan and that also includes free HBO.

connect your tv screen to your CPU and watch "online"

most TVs and CPU's have an HDMI input/output... can be a laptop too!

No HDMI? No problem, you can also connect using DVI/VGA

i know what you mean. I got one left. It’s in the bedroom. I wish it will die. Just don’t want to replace it while it’s still working.
I know the feeling. If Best Buy has a 30-32" smart TV with Roku on BF, one is gone for sure!

I bought a Roku almost a year ago now. Best thing I ever did. I had a cheap Android box to begin my cord cutting but noticed I wasn't getting the best performance out of it. Now with the Roku, we use Netflix, Amazon Videos, YouTube for streaming and Plex for our local files. With 5 adults, 1 teenager and a toddler in the house we consistently go over 1 TB of data and often close to 2 TB. Haven't had cable in about 2 years now.

I use ROKU. And I like it.

I have crashed it a bunch of times, but it’s improving and adding a micro sd has helped.

I know the feeling. If Best Buy has a 30-32" smart TV with Roku on BF, one is gone for sure!
They had a 32" one with a Roku player for about $130. I almost got that one because it was going to cost the same as the TV + Roku that I bought. I want to be able to put the Roku on our main TV so the built-in Roku wasn't going to work.

i know what you mean. I got one left. It’s in the bedroom. I wish it will die. Just don’t want to replace it while it’s still working.
Just think of the cost savings in energy efficiency. For the $69 for a 32" LED on BF, I'd be buying at least one.

Roku hands down. I have Roku, Chromecast and Firestick. Roku is the easiest, most intuitive and advertised to work easily with Disney+. Plug it in, set up your password/account and you're good to go. Like old school cable or satellite. Chromecast is a hassle because your smartphone is used like a remote. OK if traveling from hotel to hotel but not convenient for every day at home. I recommended Roku to my parents a few years ago and they love it, too.

Brett,
Do you know if this supports the Starz App? Xfinity is dropping Starz in December and I need a way to watch Outlander!
If you look at the picture, one of the featured apps on the box is Starz. If Starz is not included in your cable plan anymore you would need a standalone sub at $8.99/mo.

If you look at the picture, one of the featured apps on the box is Starz. If Starz is not included in your cable plan anymore you would need a standalone sub at $8.99/mo.
Perfect! Thank you! Looks like this will fix my Starz issue and Disney + !

Thanks for all of the help so far. I have a few more questions...

Our desktop computer (which is rarely used) happens to be positioned about 6' from our TV so we could hook an HDMI cord directly to it, but would we need to then access Disney + (like change the channel, select what we want to watch, etc) from the computer itself? That would be a bit of a PITA.

You can download an app to control your desktop from your phone. Kind of like a remote control.

I see this older but bubbling to the top of the pile.

We are 100% satisfied with our 2019 Firestick. I think I got it on Prime Day for $19.99. We've always been tied to the hip to Amazon since I first became a Prime member in 2005 when they announced the program.

Back in November we were preparing for our trip to WDW and Amazon and Disney still hadn't struck the deal, but I was confident it would happen. Zoom ahead to now and we are perfectly happy.

Edit: a few days later, And yes we have what I call a "Dumb TV". Not smart in the least bit. Vizio brand.

Last edited:
Really old plasma tv here, so definitely not smart tv,lol. (still a good picture though!) We got a Roku express for about $25 and it works great for all our steaming. I use Tivo too, not a cable box (it uses cable cards), and Tivo does not support Disney+, it does some other things like Netflix. But the connection via Tivo is slow, the Roku is fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter