Best Way to Stream Disney+ on a "Non-Smart" TV?

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
We have an older TV (not internet connected) and we have cable service through Comcast. We have our own cable modem/router and a cable box from Comcast. As I understand it, we do not currently have the ability to watch Disney+ with our current equipment because Comcast will not have the "app" available, correct? What I mean by that is, even though we do not have a smart TV, our current Comcast cable box has an "app" for Netflix and YouTube (and others, I'm sure) so we can watch those directly on our TV without any other device (like a Wii, xBox, FireTV, etc). I am assuming that we will need to purchase something like a Chromecast or other device to plug in to an HDMI port on our TV so that we will be able to stream the Disney+ channel....but what device should we get?? I don't need to stream anything else, just Disney+ so I'm looking for the cheapest option that will be reliable. It's also only needed for 1 TV. Thanks!:hippie:

I really like the Roku streaming stick. I like it so much that I put one on both my Samsung TVs even though they're both "smart." I find them to be inexpensive and super easy to use.

cheapest most reliable would probably be a chromecast, although u would need to launch everything through a phone.

another option is to find an adapter to hook your phone to the TV. this method is great if u travel and want to stream on other TVs. u will just need internet.

If you already have a computer or laptop and don't mind it being used whenever you want to watch Disney+, purchase an HDMI cord (most PCs and laptops should have a port for one), plug one end into PC and another into TV. This will allow you to display your PC screen on your TV which you can access Disney+ website from. I got a 15ft HDMI cord from Amazon for $12, some people may not need that long of a cord.

If you have a PS4 or XBox One, you can also use those to stream any service, Disney+ included.

Otherwise I'd say a smart device such as Roku/Apple TV, etc

Last edited:
Roku stick probably the best combination of cheap and small and easy.

I'm considering splurging on a Roku sound bar for this purpose. I have a Roku stick on my dumb tv. My samsung tv won't have the Disney+ app.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I have a few more questions...

Our desktop computer (which is rarely used) happens to be positioned about 6' from our TV so we could hook an HDMI cord directly to it, but would we need to then access Disney + (like change the channel, select what we want to watch, etc) from the computer itself? That would be a bit of a PITA.

So tell me more about the differences between a Roku (there are SO many different ones!) and a Chromecast. I *think* I am leaning more towards the Roku because it has a remote control, but if I can use my phone as a "remote" with a Chromecast (if that's how it works?:confused3), that would be perfectly acceptable too. With the Roku, do you just connect it to your wi-fi network and then access the "apps"/channels on your TV? Is that how it works? When I looked at the Disney+ website, I didn't see that the Roku was a supported device so that's why I wasn't sure how it would work to access the service. It seems like a Roku and Apple TV are similar devices but an Apple TV costs almost $200 and a Roku is like $60 so obviously, I'm missing something:confused:.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I have a few more questions...

Our desktop computer (which is rarely used) happens to be positioned about 6' from our TV so we could hook an HDMI cord directly to it, but would we need to then access Disney + (like change the channel, select what we want to watch, etc) from the computer itself? That would be a bit of a PITA.

So tell me more about the differences between a Roku (there are SO many different ones!) and a Chromecast. I *think* I am leaning more towards the Roku because it has a remote control, but if I can use my phone as a "remote" with a Chromecast (if that's how it works?:confused3), that would be perfectly acceptable too. With the Roku, do you just connect it to your wi-fi network and then access the "apps"/channels on your TV? Is that how it works? When I looked at the Disney+ website, I didn't see that the Roku was a supported device so that's why I wasn't sure how it would work to access the service. It seems like a Roku and Apple TV are similar devices but an Apple TV costs almost $200 and a Roku is like $60 so obviously, I'm missing something:confused:.

Chromecast is too techie for what you are after.

Get this if you have 1080p.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVFCVJN/ref=emc_b_5_t
Or this if you have 4k. Really for 10 dollars more get this one. It future proofs you for 4k.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDBZN7Q/ref=emc_b_5_t

Love our Roku. How much do we love it? We recently got a smart TV and aren't using the smart functions but instead just hooked up the Roku and use that.

BTW, Disney+ will be available on Roku, per several Internet sources.

I will come to personal preference. Chromecast ($35) needs your phone as the remote. Roku Express ($25) comes with a remote. Personally I don't need 4k - my "dumb" TV doesn't support it. When I decide to upgrade to 4k it will be a smart TV so for now the Express (which supports 1080p) is perfect. So for me Ruko is the best option; don't want to use my phone as the remote and don't need 4k.

Miffy is correct: according to techjunkie.com, cordcuttersnews.com, cnet.com and the Roku website Disney+ will be available on Roku. Right now it looks like only Fire TV won't support Disney+

I will come to personal preference. Chromecast ($35) needs your phone as the remote. Roku Express ($25) comes with a remote. Personally I don't need 4k - my "dumb" TV doesn't support it. When I decide to upgrade to 4k it will be a smart TV so for now the Express (which supports 1080p) is perfect. So for me Ruko is the best option; don't want to use my phone as the remote and don't need 4k.

Miffy is correct: according to techjunkie.com, cordcuttersnews.com, cnet.com and the Roku website Disney+ will be available on Roku. Right now it looks like only Fire TV won't support Disney+
I personally like using my phone as a remote because I always have it and I never have to search for remotes. I have Chromecast and I just keep all the apps with TV content in a single folder on my phone. I even use the phone to run content to the smart TV (yes, you can do that). To each his own though - they are all basically the same price.

Chromecast is too techie for what you are after.

Get this if you have 1080p.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVFCVJN/ref=emc_b_5_t
Or this if you have 4k. Really for 10 dollars more get this one. It future proofs you for 4k.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDBZN7Q/ref=emc_b_5_t
I checked out the Roku Premiere...WOW! I think that is what I will go with! BONUS...We have a little 24" TV in our bedroom that is no longer hooked up to anything (dumped the additional cable box years ago when we "upgraded" to HD service) and it looks like I could plug the Roku into the HDMI port on that TV and stream the Xfinity Stream app...Boom! I have a TV again! No more watching TV on my iPad when I want to watch TV while the kids are watching something else. I love to watch the Tigers/RedWings but since I am often "out voted", I have to watch my live sports on the Xfinity app on my iPad (or my phone!). It looks like it is a rather portable device and the access to the HDMI port on both TV's is very easy so moving it between the two would be very simple. Thanks for the suggestion and I think I've found my solution:thumbsup2.

So glad a friend referred me to this thread... these are many of the same questions I've been asking.

We have a non-smart TV as our main tv, and currently have DirecTV. Since we've been pretty happy with DirecTV for the many years we've had it, there hasn't really been any need to look at anything else. However, when AT&T gobbled them up, everything changed. Since we have a contract with them, we probably won't be totally getting rid of them for awhile, unless AT&T ends up snuffing them out entirely, which they seem likely to do.

In the meantime, with so many things leaving the cable world and going to streaming, we're about ready to expand our horizons into this whole new world (for us anyway!).

I like the idea of the Roku Premier as it seems it would be a good way to jump into this. Plus, since we recently bought a motorhome, we plan to be on the road for a month or so to escape at least part of our Minnesota winter, and thinking that we could use the Roku on that TV also.... we don't have a wi-fi out there, but could I use my phone as a hotspot and connect that way?

Also, what do folks do for local channels.... ? We currently get ours through DirecTV at home, but if DirecTV goes away, what are the options? (For the motorhome too...., we have a dish on the roof and a low end DVR with DirecTV out there right now....).

Thanks for any input on this.... hoping to try out the Disney+ service first!

So glad a friend referred me to this thread... these are many of the same questions I've been asking.

We have a non-smart TV as our main tv, and currently have DirecTV. Since we've been pretty happy with DirecTV for the many years we've had it, there hasn't really been any need to look at anything else. However, when AT&T gobbled them up, everything changed. Since we have a contract with them, we probably won't be totally getting rid of them for awhile, unless AT&T ends up snuffing them out entirely, which they seem likely to do.

In the meantime, with so many things leaving the cable world and going to streaming, we're about ready to expand our horizons into this whole new world (for us anyway!).

I like the idea of the Roku Premier as it seems it would be a good way to jump into this. Plus, since we recently bought a motorhome, we plan to be on the road for a month or so to escape at least part of our Minnesota winter, and thinking that we could use the Roku on that TV also.... we don't have a wi-fi out there, but could I use my phone as a hotspot and connect that way?

Also, what do folks do for local channels.... ? We currently get ours through DirecTV at home, but if DirecTV goes away, what are the options? (For the motorhome too...., we have a dish on the roof and a low end DVR with DirecTV out there right now....).

Thanks for any input on this.... hoping to try out the Disney+ service first!
I use YouTube tv. Love it.

Another happy Roku user! It's easy to use and navigate, and I am technically challenged:) Very happy with it.

Easiest way is to hook up a roku, cheapest way is to use your desktop with a cable. I would buy a roku or two. We have 3 Roku TV's and two Roku sticks on others in our house of 4 people.

I took the advice here and bought the Roku Premiere. I also found a nice 32” Insignia TV on sale at Best Buy for $90. I hooked them both up in my bedroom and I am now happily watching Jeopardy while the kids are watching YouTube on the main TV. The only thing I am really worried about is that I checked our data usage and we’ve used 59GB in just 2 days:scared1:. I am sure that a lot of that is YouTube, but I am concerned about how much data the Xfinity app will use. I may have to look into the unlimited data option, but that is not cheap.

If I didn’t already use an Xbox I would probably get a roku. We have a fire stick, but I don’t know if or when it will be available on that.

I took the advice here and bought the Roku Premiere. I also found a nice 32” Insignia TV on sale at Best Buy for $90. I hooked them both up in my bedroom and I am now happily watching Jeopardy while the kids are watching YouTube on the main TV. The only thing I am really worried about is that I checked our data usage and we’ve used 59GB in just 2 days:scared1:. I am sure that a lot of that is YouTube, but I am concerned about how much data the Xfinity app will use. I may have to look into the unlimited data option, but that is not cheap.
Look at limiting the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more data it is using. Back when I had Comcast the xfinity app data didn't count against your 1TB limit, which 59GB in two days is still less than 1TB/month, unless that limit has changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter