Best way to make money selling baby items?

I live in an association and we have two garage sales, one in October and one usually right before Easter. I've sold all my daughters baby stuff in the garage sale. I sometimes cringe at myself for how cheap I've sold stuff. Like a $300 stroller for $50 which was in excellent condition. When people come to our garage sales, they want things CHEAP! If I have something ticketed for $5, they offer me a $1 or less. So, now I intentionally ticket some things higher because I know they're going to come in with some ridiculous low price. I've gone the consignment route too, but where the shop is from my house, it's a drive and really not worth the time or effort after they got their cut. At garage sales, people are wanting bargains and to pay as little as possible. I get that. I just try to remember what my father used to say, "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Good point.
I don't expect to make a ton of money back, but being offered $20 for a swing I bought 2 years ago for $200 (that my babies sat in *maybe* 5x total so it's seriously like brand new) seemed like a rip off. I was thinking $50-$60 was fair resale. Is that just an unrealistic hope in the current resale market? If so, I'd honestly rather donate the stuff to someone in need.

You'd probably do best to donate if you want prices that high. $20 IS what these things go for at garage sales. Often less.

There is SO MUCH used baby stuff out there. I quite honestly was shocked how much of it is basically brand new. I've bought most of my newborn - 6 month wardrobe at garage sales at an average of 25 cents a piece (and I have never haggled down a price, it seems silly when things are marked so low), and almost all of it looks like it has never even touched a baby.

Our first time "being done" with kids, we gave the high end stuff to a consignment shop. It was nice, and they set fair resale figures. Then, after two "surprise" babies, we again had a houseful of baby stuff! This time, I just donated it to a local charity. The consignment shop had closed, and it wasn't worth my time knowing that a garage sale was only going to get me a few bucks. (I rarely go to garage sales, but when I do, I also expect things to be cheap!) For us, it came down to just being rid of it all. And the charity picked everything up, which was awesome! I had 3 pack n plays, 2 high chairs, a car seat, 2 exersaucers, a swing, 3 booster chairs, and tons of toys. It was a crazy amount of stuff.

If you really want the money, a consignment or swap will probably be your best bet. In my experience, people expect a garage sale to be dirt cheap. While the $200-300 we would have made would have been nice to have, there wasn't a store near us and the swaps were over for another 6 months, and we just wanted our basement back! Good luck!

I've done consignment sales. Frankly, it was a pain because of all the tagging, dropping off, picking up, etc. I have preferred a local consignment store. Granted, I only get 50% of the sale price, but it is safe and easy. This is especially easier for clothes (unless you want to sell in big lots on FB or Craigslist).

Also, if you do go FB or Craigslist...I suggest you meet in a police station parking lot (versus just a public place).

"Once Upon A Child" is a children consignment type store. They will buy your items (or give you store credit) to resell in their store. See if you have one near you. They only take items in excellent condition and in season.

Other than that, go to Facebook. Search the name of your town and yard sale or buy/sell/trade to see if there are local groups for on-line yard sales.
For example I am in Tampa and they have many Facebook groups to sell items buy just typing in "Tampa Buy" or "Tampa Yard". Many are broken up into neighborhoods so you have to type the specific neighborhood name in.

I use our local Facebook swap shop page quite a bit and am also a fan of Varagesale. Varagesale might be a better option for you since you don't have to have Facebook to use it, but there is a rating system in place for sellers and you can see a pic of the person you are meeting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter