Best Way to Keep Cool in August

caspersf

Earning My Ears
We are going to Magic Kingdom for 1 day in August with our twin four year old girls. I was looking for input on ways to keep cool while there as I expect 90 degree weather with humidity. Do please have recommendations on a good fan with mister function or a good brand of cooling towels?

My MIL got some Frogg Toggs after her last Sept. trip so she could use them this coming Sept.. We tried them out a couple weeks ago and holy cow they are awesome. I will be ordering one for each person in our group for this coming September. We have 4year old boy/girl twins (5yrs old at trip time) and these should work great for them.

Joining the August train with you!

I've only been to WDW in July. I've never actually used misting fans, Frogg Toggs, etc. The way I deal with the heat is by making sure I'm hydrated and cooling off. Every time you go into a new "land"/section of the park, look for at least one "cool-down attraction". For example, for Frontierland, it could be the Country Bear Jamboree, or Tomorrowland could be Carousel of Progress. Epcot, AK, and DHS has tons of movies. TLDR- my ideal of dealing with the heat is just by taking it easy and not cramming too much action into any given amount of time.

We just used 99 cent spray water bottles. Each kid had their own and got to decorate them with sharpies. They had a blast with them and stayed cool.

Though we are a rope drop-leave around noon family. During the hottest hours we were either napping or swimming back at the resort!

We went last August with 2 20-month olds and it was the hottest week of the year! We bought the mister fans, but found them useless and quite bringing them into the parks with us on the third day. The Frogg Togg chilly towels were lifesavers!!! We just wet them in the bathrooms and used them constantly! Buy a neutral color though...no white. White looked crazy nasty by the end of the week, even with rinsing it in blue Dawn nightly!

I agree with the previous posters regarding the Frogg Togg chilly towels. These were a lifesaver during our September trip. Be sure to pre-wash, as the darker colors can bleed. I also cut each towel vertically, so that it could be used for two people. I think this was also more comfortable, since it wasn't as bulky. Stay hydrated, and, if possible, get as much done as possible during the morning. Use the afternoons for a break or indoor shows, activities...

I've been going in August for the past few 4-5 years. Frogg Togg is great but not everyone in my family like it. With young children, I tried not to rush to each attraction. We spend some time at the air-conditioned gift shops after each ride. Always have water or a cup of ice on hand (free at any CS booth) An indoor show in the mid afternoon can be a nice place to cool down as well. I learned my hard lesson with BBB. All the hair products in the hair can really radiate heat; be extra careful. My daughter had a heat stroke once. Oh....force down water to your kids if you have to. "No, I'm not thirsty" is not accepted.

There will be rain everyday--I don't know recall a day without an afternoon downpour. Normally short and the temperature cool down a lot after the rain. Ponchos are necessary and so is a rain cover for the stroller. I like to use a poncho with cloth pins as a stroller cover because it's much lighter than a rain cover for the CityMini.

I bought Chill-It towels on Amazon. Used one already for a local festival, and it seems great. I am also searching for a misting fan. I'd rather go for a small one than those 12" things you have to lug around with you. Water is easy to come by at Disney, so I will just refill the smaller fan when needed.

Stay away from the misting fans and cooling towels. More stuff to carry and really don't help. My best advice having to live in Florida year round for all my life, drink and drink a lot, especially cold water. Get a large hat to wear. Now what I SE is a camelback backpack. I freeze the water pouch inside and wear it which keeps by back cool. The ice melts and you have cold water to drink. Once the water is gone, get some ice from one of the food courts and fill it up again with water. It will stay cold for a while. Also don't forge about sunblock. The problem with the misting fans is that I tends to make you damp all day. If you get your head wet and expose it to the sun, it will actually heat up. The towels are just a gimmick. Stay in the shade as much as possible and take breaks in the AC.

The misting fans were a bit of a pain to carry around, but they worked well on our trip last July to keep my four year old cool. I loved the frog togg towels. They worked so well during the day and were awesome to wrap around my aching feet at night.

We put ice water in a misting fan and loved it! We got ours at u he target down there. We also made sure to bring tons of ice water in bottles, and did indoor things like philharmagic, enchanted tales with belle, it's a small world, country bears, etc during the afternoon. It really wasn't bad at all.

Cooling towels are great. I would soak it in water and put it in the hotel fridge at night, and it stayed cool in a ziplock until first use.

I'm not a fan of the misters. Take it from a Floridian-- the air in August is so thick with humidity sometimes it feels like you can cut a slice to eat. I don't say this to dissuade you from an August trip to WDW. Just remember that in that kind if humidity, the water you spray doesn't evaporate easily. You may feel cooler for a moment, but the water is still there a while later, and now it's warm. I'd stick with a personal fan, no mister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter