Best way to get started pin trading

lemondog

<font color=darkorchid>My twins fight over who too
Hey everyone, we are going to WDW in 2 weeks for our oldest DD's 12th birthday. In the past the kids have loved autograph books and searching for characters but I think they are over that noW and would love pin trading. What is the best way to get started? Is there a starter kit or do you just buy a blank lanyard and start buying pins? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Starter kit works great. The. Get a few value packs if pins that are cheap! Your gonna be trading them away anyway.

we have always ordered pins from mousepinsonline - they have great customer service and we've always been very happy with the pins. We order the grab bags so it's a fun surprise to see what pins come!

Be sure to keep the pins you want to trade separate from the ones you don't. Usually I keep the pins the kids want to trade on their lanyards and keep the others back in the room. Every night we go through the lanyards and remove the ones they want to keep.

The kids LOVE pin trading and it's so much fun to them to try and collect as many specific kind/character as they can! <3

I love the starter kits, and some come with the lanyards Ive seen. We haven't done any pins in a while since we found the Vinylmations when they came out.

They can also do the Vinylmations and trade with those (in certain spots) but they are a little more $, not as easy to carry around, and take up more luggage room. But I love them more than the pins.

also all cast members trade with everone so they are a good place to start and get the feel of trading! have fun!!

I second the advice about mousepinsonline. We ordered a grab bag from them and had lots of fun trading for the ones we wanted, knowing that we didn't pay full price for the ones that we were trading away. And it was fun to look through the grab bag-we ended up with a few "keepers" right off the bat! :)

I just started pin trading after years of just buying pins I liked because I wanted to finish some sets.
So I bought a couple of starter kits and a few extra pins on clearance at the Disney Store website.

That's what I used to start with.

Buy them each a starter set based on the lanyard they want, as the pins will probably all get traded. Start your trading with cast members, if you see the lanyard, they are open to trading. And CMs have to trade, as long as they don't already have the pin you want to give them on their lanyard. Sometimes you can ask at the retail stores, as the CM may have pin boards to trade from, rather than a lanyard.

Also, have a plan for carrying the lanyards of pins later in the day... As those can get heavy! Maybe a locker stop if needed.

In the past, we've ordered pins off of ebay... but you have to be careful.. make sure they are actually Disney pins that can be traded!

Starting out I would recommend buying one of the starter kits. I would get the one with the most pins if you plan on trading them.

I have ordered from Mousepinsonline.com and Sweet's Collectibles on ebay and Facebook. Mousepins ships stuff out very quickly. Sweet's takes forever, but the pins are good if you have 2 weeks or so to wait for them.

I say buy a lanyard fromcDisney, but orde pins off ebay, you can get way more for a lower price! It's what I did & have had no problems trading them away!

People here will prob flame me- but I ordered ours off eBay- 35 of them for 22 dollars I think. they look exactly like the ones my kids already had from our last trip... Which were almost all traded for at the parks.

If you want authentic quality, by all means get the starter kit. But if you are buying them just for your little guys to trade, I personally think the eBay ones are just fine.

No flames here, but just wanted you to know that many sellers on Ebay are selling counterfeit pins. There is a great thread here to help you find sellers of real pins:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3076860
You can even find people selling the starter packs at a discount, so you only pay about $2 per pin, but you get authentic pins.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter