Best way to get best rate on a motel

cindyland

Mouseketeer
A question for the experts.

Planning a family trip to DL in mid-January 2020. We are taking our four adult children and our grandson after the holiday festivities end as a late Christmas gift. We’re paying for the motel and admission tickets (grandson will be free!)

I was looking at getting three rooms at the Candy Cane Inn to split group up. Son, daughter-in-law and grandson in one room, two daughters (18 and 22) in another room, and husband and I in third room. I was thinking of Candy Cane Inn because of proximity to park, free breakfast and dedicated shuttle.

With this much time to plan, I’m trying to figure out way to get most affordable rooms possible, or other options.

Any advice?

Some thing to consider: Would anyone need to go back to the motel room for a break/rest/quiet time/nap mid-day? You'll either have to walk back, or catch the shuttle at the prescribed time. For me, this is a deal breaker, as I would be walking an additional 1.36 miles total to/from the hotel (possibly in rain if is anything like this year! ), or potentially waiting 25 minutes each way if I just missed the shuttle both times. Candy Cane (CCI) is a favorite around this site; it's close, clean, has a shuttle, and people consistently report good stays.

There are closer, equally clean motels that are closer so that you won't need/care about a shuttle, equally clean, and potentially less expensive. Some get great reviews across the board, and some don't.

We really like Tropicana; not much to look at from the outside, but the rooms are recently updated (Oct 2017 is when they finished, I believe) with a cute "surfy" look to the rooms. Our favorite there is the King Room (specifically 371, which has an amazing view with north- and west-facing windows). Clean, bright, seriously close (1 hotel down from the pedestrian entrance into the parks).

Since you're getting 3 rooms, saving $100/night on the room rate can make a big difference. I might suggest checking rates at a few of the motels at the Harbor crosswalk as they are the closest options (other than the on-site hotels). There are cheaper options farther away, but then you sacrifice time to drive or wait for a shuttle. If you read HydroGuy's rule re: hotels, you'll see finding the right hotel is often a balance of price and convenience. We always try to stay within walking distance so we don't have to rely on a shuttle. BWPPI is very close to the crosswalk (closer than HoJo). If you are just sleeping a few hours at night (and don't lounge in the room or go back for afternoon breaks), then the cheapest closest room may make the most sense. Since we take afternoon breaks and spend more time in the room, I do like a bigger room.

Good luck!

You have lots of lead time to check out different rates! At this point, you will probably not see a lot of discounted rates because they're not posted this far out, yet. You can go on TripAdvisor or even just on Google Maps, search for hotels near DLR with your dates, and the map will show you all the different hotels, and some prices. However, it's best to really go in individually to the hotels and check if they have prices posted, what the reviews are, etc. Also keep in mind that you can book now, then if you see a discounted rate later, most places you can call and they will adjust it to the discount. You can hold multiple reservations until you figure out the best price and place for your group.

Candy Cane Inn has a lot of devoted fans here. If you're looking for cheap, clean and close (and a kind of lame albeit adequate continental breakfast), I'm a fan of Desert Inn, which is right at the crosswalk. You could get a family suite (basically two rooms with a connecting door) and maybe a parlor suite for the couple with kiddos. We booked the family suite for I think $229 in September. That’s two hotel rooms, connected, at $115 a night each. Their standard rooms regularly run for $109 a night. However the pool is small, indoor and not great. If the kids will value the pool time, you might check out HoJo, which is still walkable but has both a pool and a water playground. More expensive, though, and no breakfast. Another one, Grand Legacy at the Park looks nice, though I’ve heard you have to be careful about how close you are to the rooftop bar, because it gets loud.
Anyway, look around for a bit, read reviews and look at pictures on Trip Advisor, and take your time! Good luck!

We stay at one of two hotels on Harbor (PVI, BWPPI) and find we get the best rates by calling them and letting them know we are returning customers. They can look us up and see that's true so we get better rates than any on-line site.

Can't go wrong with Candy Cane Inn.... great customer service, nice expanded continental breakfast, decent pool and hot tub, free parking, shuttle and close walking distance.

Check Tripadvisor for price and call the hotel direct. No 800#s

With a little one, I’d be wanting to stay at one of the close hotels- my mom took my sister and I and our family’s ( we both had littles who were 20 months when we took them.. we got the biggest room at desert inn and suites which has 3 separate rooms all joined- very much recommend some sort if adjoining rooms so you can put the little one down in a room and be up in another. It was so so nice being right there for naps/popping back after bedtime (different people took turns staying at night)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter