• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best way to book

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
Was wondering if anyone can recommend best way to get best rate booking Universal hotel. Through universal or is there places to get better rates?

I booked through cheaptickets.com with a 20% off code for our upcoming June trip. Prior to that, I've just done it directly, via phone, to get a AAA rate which was better than the SMSM rate at that time. I buy my tickets from Undercover Tourist.

I've seen these discounts / websites mentioned more often than any others on this site:

1. "Stay More, Save More" (SMSM), booked through Universal Orlando or Loews hotel websites. Positives: they offer greater discounts the longer you stay (thus the name), they don't require prepayment, you can earn loyalty points from Loews or Hard Rock, and you get the peace of mind from dealing with the hotel directly. Negatives: can be more expensive than the other discounts below, but not necessarily.

2. "Annual Passholder" (APH), booked directly through Universal Orlando. Positives: very low rates, plus the benefits mentioned above. Negatives: at least one member of your party must have an Annual Pass by the time you check in. Also, rates only released a few months out.

3. Cheaptickets / Orbitz: two different version of the same website - Cheaptickets generally offers cheaper rates; Orbitz is slightly higher, but has a rewards program. Use the promo code listed on their home page (it changes each week, but they promote it freely) for very good rates. Negatives: often require prepayment, but this is usually refundable until a week or so before booking (check the fine print). You're not dealing with the hotel directly, but many, many people have used Cheaptickets without a problem.

4. AAA / AAA.com website: AAA members can call AAA travel agents for complete travel packages and advice, including park tickets, often at a good discount. The AAA website also has very good rates (they're frequently the best rates I've found anywhere - I've seen rates at aaa.com that were more than $100 a night less than anywhere else). Negatives: every state/region has its own website, and they can offer wildly different discounts and hotel availability, and sometimes the website rates are quite different from what an agent will quote you. Some (but not all) rates require AAA membership, and many require prepayment (usually fully refundable, again check the fine print).

when you make your reservation through Loews or Universal, there is a prepayment of a one night deposit.
the remainder of your charges will be a paid when you check out.

OH! And if you do Cheaptickets (and I assume Orbitz, but never have) through Ebates, you get some cash back there too. I just got a check from Ebates for $18 :). And, don't put in your kids. For some reason, they start to charge a fee for anybody over 2 people, so I just booked DH and I and will call HRH and add DD a few days before we go or just at check in. I was able to book at deluxe 2 queen room for much less than the current SMSM rate showing for a regular 2 queen room at HRH.

I'm still checking to see if I can get a better rate via an APH and if I can, I'll cancel my cheaptickets reservation and book that way and just get 1 AP.

I did call AAA the other day and as of right now, the rate for my June dates was more than the SMSM rate....by about $100/night. Yikes.

Anybody have any email codes for cheaptickets for 25-30% off? I was able to get a GREAT deal on a deluxe queen hrh room with them, but now I need 2 rooms and would like the same discount. I have a 20% code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter