Best way to book a Univeral trip using discounts?

calablovedisney

DIS Veteran
We have never been to Universal before, so this year we want to do a combination Universal/Disney trip. Disboards has always been the place for solid advice in the past.
I am looking to book 3 nights at Universal before going to Disney for a few more. Does Universal offer package deals like Disney's magic your way? Or should I book a room and tickets separately? We want to stay onsite to take advantage of the benefits. I have an entertainment book and AAA membership, anybody get any good deals using either of these? Our dates are most likely June 25-28.
Also, I think we arrive at night, so maybe I should book the 1st night offsite somewhere to save money? thanks for any info.

Book everything separately. Booking a package limits your ability to make changes and you will pay full price for everything.

Use undercovertourist.com for tickets and book directly with Loews at http://www.loewshotels.com/en/booking/uo?hotel=UEPBH,UEHRH,UERPR

You can't book using AAA rates on that site. You'd have to call to do that.

If a cheaper rate comes up after you have booked, simply call the hotel and have it changed, or cancel and rebook.

i don't book online.
i will look online to check prices before i call though.

i always call and book directly by phone.

I have the TM tell me what discounts are available and have them go over total costs per discount or promotion.

I have the reservationist put in my file my room location requests.

I then recheck rates periodically to see if there are any drops in the rate i have used.
if that happens, i call and have my rate modified to reflect the cheaper rate.

i never book packages.
as damo stated, you are not getting the best deal when you do and have restrictions on your ressie.

thanks for the replies. I checked out prices on the lowes site, which proved less than the universal site.
coming up with just under $1000 for 3 nights at RPH. That is more than I hoped. I will call for AAA discount and since we may fly in at night I think I will book for 2 nights, and stay off site for the 1st night. Which leads to a new question, Do you get the express passes for the day you are booked and the day after, or just one day? so, if I book for June 26 & 27, would I get express pass benefit for the 26, 27 & 28th? or just 26 and 27?
I think we will get 3 day park passes. I saw a rate for 3rd day free, but it ends on June 17, but I am hoping they will offer another.

thanks for the replies. I checked out prices on the lowes site, which proved less than the universal site.
coming up with just under $1000 for 3 nights at RPH. That is more than I hoped. I will call for AAA discount and since we may fly in at night I think I will book for 2 nights, and stay off site for the 1st night. Which leads to a new question, Do you get the express passes for the day you are booked and the day after, or just one day? so, if I book for June 26 & 27, would I get express pass benefit for the 26, 27 & 28th? or just 26 and 27?
I think we will get 3 day park passes. I saw a rate for 3rd day free, but it ends on June 17, but I am hoping they will offer another.

Yes, you get check-in day and check-out day privileges for early admission and unlimited express. You can check in as early as you like.

I wouldn't count on another 3rd day free offer. Transformers is opening this summer and this offer was to try to get people to not delay their vacations until the opening. Lots of things are coming in the next two years. I'd be surprised to see any more deals after this one.

you are allowed the hotel perks of early entry and express line usage/unlimited for the day you check into the hotel and the day you check out.

it all expires when the parks close on your check out day.

stay one night onsite, receive 2 days of perks.
stay two nights onsite, receive 3 days of perks.

This does work great. I think we checked in at 7:30am. Even though room not available, got tix and headed to parks right away. I can see your reason for diff hotel the night before.

I read that a different way:

From the website:

RESTRICTIONS:

"Ticket must be purchased by June 16, 2013.
"First use of this ticket must be on or before June 17, 2013, to receive full ticket entitlements. "Ticket expires on June 30, 2013; unused days shall be forfeited. "The 2-Day Base with 3rd Day Free Ticket entitles one (1) guest admission to one (1) UOR theme park per day. Ticket is valid for any three (3) calendar days during a fourteen (14) consecutive calendar day period which includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used. This ticket also includes fourteen (14) consecutive calendar days of admission to the paid entertainment venues of Universal CityWalk® ("CityWalk") which commences and includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used.

the way it reads to me:

1. the ticket must be purchased by 6/16
2. tickets must be used by 6/30

the 6/17 date is so that you could use the full 14 days of citywalk or have the full 14 day window to use up your 3 days of admission to the parks

So, if you used the ticket on the 27th for the first time...you could use it 2 more days up until the 30th. You then would only receive citywalk admission from thhe 27th to the 30th (and not the full 14 days).

Am I reading this correctly?

We are looking to go around the same dates. We are considering the 3 park pass because I may want more than 3 days at the parks.

I like the way Shoney is understanding this better than me. I had assumed that you must start your use of the tickets by June 17, but if it is a 3 day ticket, and expires on the 30th, then you thinking makes more sense. I think I will call to get the exact guidelines for this, then post what I find out. If we can get the 3rd day included then it could change how I think about doing the portion of our trip...how many nights to stay and whether we will take a morning or evening flight. I am trying to plan this for as soon as school lets our, and with unknown snow days looming I can't be positive when that will fall. thanks everyone.

I thought it said first use of ticket must be before the 17th.

Because I am considering this ticket for our upcoming trip, I just called for clarification.

the Universal rep confirmed my intrepretation.

The ticket must be purchased by 6/16.

The ticket expires on 6/30.

the mention of 6/17 is just so that the purchaser is aware of the 14 day window of using your tickets and Citiwalk access.

By using your tickets later than 6/17, you reduce the 14 day window.

Hope that helps!

I just called Loews this morning and booked our 4 night stay for June. The rep was very nice and let me know about the discounts available.
I used the stay more save more rate which was cheaper than AAA.
I also looked online at Loews before calling and the rate online was the same as she quoted me over the phone.
I also had purchased my park tickets separately through Undercover Tourist.
Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter