• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best walkaround lens for wdw??

allboyhouse

Registered
Hi there! I've been to wdw a few times and just love taking pics of my family. I'm taking an anniversary trip with my hubby and wanting to take a much smaller bag Into the parks and just one lens. I have a Canon 70d. I love love love the 70-200 canon lens but wondering if it's the best choice. I've never taken it to wdw with me. Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Opinions will vary greatly on this.

I have been to WDW with my 70-200 f/4 IS and I would say its not may favorite lens for there. It does have its uses but not as an everyday walk around lens for me. I would say that most people will say somewhere in the 17-55 or even wider in the 10-22 range.

If i had to choose 1 lens I would pick my 17-50 2.8, my 10-20 would be a close second. Just for reference I use a Canon T2i

Ive taken a 70-200 and as much as I love that lens, it can get very heavy. Im with the poster above, I usually just carry around my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8lens, or my 24-105 f/4 L if I need a little bit more zoom.

Ive taken a 70-200 and as much as I love that lens, it can get very heavy. Im with the poster above, I usually just carry around my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8lens, or my 24-105 f/4 L if I need a little bit more zoom.

I've actually been debating buying the 24-105 f4L Thanks for the input!!

It depends on what we are photographing, our personal style, and even how we feel that day but either a wide range zoom (18-250 or so) or the tried and true 18-55 would be my preference for just one lens. 18-55 on a 1.6 crop is about equivalent in viewing angle to 28-90, that and 35-105 used to be very popular for 35mm film cameras because they covered "somewhat wide, through normal, up to short telephoto".

Like the others have said, it depends on what you are shooting and your style. I very rarely use any lens that doesn't have the capability to shoot a constant f2.8. My walkaround lens is a 28-70 f2.8 on a crop sensor. The DW uses a 17-50 f2.8. Some will say that 28mm isn't wide enough, but for my style it works. I would rather have the little extra zoom and lowlight capability. I also always have my 70-200 f2.8 in my bag. That gives me 28mm-200mm with f2.8 lowlight capability.

I just came back from a week at Disney with only the Sigma 35mm f2.4 prime lens. It is compact and light. I can walk around all day with it mounted on my Pentax K-30.

At the airport on my way home now. :( for this trip I rented the 17-55 and found it perfect for my needs. It was a great walk around lens. The only shortcoming was that I could have used a little more width during the festival of fantasy parade. Otherwise, a great multi purpose lens.

For me it is the 17-40 F4 L. It seems I have taken my best WDW photos with that lens.

For general around the park shooting I use my 18-200. In most parks I find that the vast majority of my shots are in the 20-70 range. However, in Epcot I like to shoot a lot of across the lagoon pictures and those are more towards the long end of that zoom. Animal Kingdom is a park where I utilize the full range of that zoom as there are some pretty spectacular distance shots and it also helps get some of the animals.

I've actually been debating buying the 24-105 f4L Thanks for the input!!

That's a spendy piece of HW for a crop body, and mighty wide at the wide end too (on a crop, at least). Unless FF is in your immediate future, I'd consider something much more affordabe. IT's not really a nighttime/low light lens, but I can't tell you how many days I've walked around WDW with nothing but the kit 18-135 that came with my last two crop bodies. It's a helluva lens, especially for the $$ and you likely have it already if you bought the 70D as a bundle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter