Best Value Phone Card

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
I am thinking of using the phonecard provided by Virgin Holidays - costs 32 cents per minute.

Is this good value, or are there better one's out there?

I always buy a $20 one from Walgreens and it lasts for the whole holiday, usually phoning my Mum every day, and if you need to top up you just go back into Walgreens and get any amount put on.

Helen

I bought a £10 phone card from Lunn Poly before we went. It lasted the whole 2 weeks and we called home about 6 times.

Hellie

Are they just international calling cards. We havn't had much luck last year we bought one in Epcot (under spaceship earth) and it only lasted two short calls home.

We also tried to buy one from a machine at ASMU and it ate my money:( I phoned the provided number gave all my details but I have never recieved my money back.

Id be really interested if you could give me a few more details.
Thanks

I used the one that Virgin supplied last year, I think I put $20 on it and still has some left on it which can be used in anywhere in the world.

Do you use phone cards from the hotel or do you need to use a call box?? sounds a cheaper option than using my mobile.

Use the phone cards from call boxes, not you hotel room phone (the hotel usually charges a connection charge).

Charlottebetty, they are international and they are really good value, and if you don't use all the credit you can use them again when/if you go back.

I know what you mean about loosing money on the phones, we did that a few years ago in LA and have since always used the phonecards.

You can use them from anywhere, but as Tim said never use them from the hotel room

We buy ours from Wal-Mart - and always a spare one for the next visit ;) although they can be topped up. You can buy them in a variety of denominations and they don't expire.

Whenever we use them from a public phone though, we are always told that this facility will cost us so many units (can't remember how many) whereas in a hotel, a common charge is 75c instead. When I stay at my DVC 'home' there is no cost and no penalty. Some hotels chains also offer free 1-800 calls also (which is what you have to dial to access the provider).

From what has been written, maybe other cards do not work this way, but I must say that the Wal-Mart cards have been amazing value IMHO.

Another option is to email everybody - unless you actually need to speak to anybody we found this a great option and cost effective - There was an internet machine in the lobby of the hotel which cost $1 per 5 minutes and i emailed my sister and asked her to spread the word that we had arrived safely, then i checked my email mid holiday in case there was any urgent news but just a "have a great time" message. Great if you want to just say wot u want to say!!! (and it was easy to use too - i've never used an internet cafe) All you had to do was put a $1 dollar bill through the slot or your credit card through the slot and a little counter appeared in the corner of the screen so that you know how long you have left from your dollar (not sure how the ccard worked)

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter