best uy if going end Oct begin Nov

friend2Figment

Mouseketeer
We did the open house on our last trip. My DH was ready to drop coin but I "needed" to research the market. We normally go in end Oct beginning Nov. Every other year. I think we would like something at BLT or OKW. Seems like BLT will be hard to find and will need to jump quick. Would Dec be the best fit if we mostly travel around Halloween?

No it would not be a good use year for you-you want oct ideally
Ideally you want to always travel early in your use year in case a trip falls through for whatever reason-you can only bank during the first 8 months of your use year so you would need to bank dec points by the end of July to prevent them from expiring-if you cancelled a trip after July 31 you would have to travel by nov 30 or lose any points for that use year (including any borrowed points as they cannot be unborrowed)

We did the open house on our last trip. My DH was ready to drop coin but I "needed" to research the market. We normally go in end Oct beginning Nov. Every other year. I think we would like something at BLT or OKW. Seems like BLT will be hard to find and will need to jump quick. Would Dec be the best fit if we mostly travel around Halloween?
No, you're confusing use year with booking window. You want a use year where you'll never travel in the last four months.

"I think we would like" has me concerned.

:earsboy: Bill

Be aware that time of year is a very busy DVC time of year. You will want to own the resort you want to stay at most years, and if you want to see whats available to switch and take advantage of it when its available, then do so. But most years things will be pretty tight to switch to. People who travel in February can make a home resort choice without too much risk - they might never get a standard view at BLT at seven months, but they won't have too much trouble getting into whatever resort they want most years. People who travel between October and mid-January need to make sure they are happy with their home resort and book it before the seven month window opens - and be happy being opportunistic about staying elsewhere.

No, you're confusing use year with booking window. You want a use year where you'll never travel in the last four months.
Exactly. You can book anytime you want. You just want to have time to rebook a stay if you need to cancel the one you make. With a Dec UY, you would have to complete your travel by Nov 30. If you cancelled an October or early November trip, you would only have a few weeks to try to rebook. And from late Sept through mid-January can be hard to book at anything less than seven months out, except for a day or two here and there.

Can someone clarify if there is an issue booking online if the reservation spans use years. Using this year as an example, if you have Dec UY and wanted to book Nov 30-Dec 7 (which of course you would have done at the 11 month mark) is it any different assuming you had the points available. If the OP plans to book late Sept/early Nov I imagine some trips will span both months.

Can someone clarify if there is an issue booking online if the reservation spans use years. Using this year as an example, if you have Dec UY and wanted to book Nov 30-Dec 7 (which of course you would have done at the 11 month mark) is it any different assuming you had the points available. If the OP plans to book late Sept/early Nov I imagine some trips will span both months.
If you want to book it yourself online, you'd need to book two separate reservations; one for 11/30-12/1 using current year points, and one for 12/1-12/7 using next year's points. Member services seems to be able to book that as one reservation, but they must do something with the points to make sure they come from the correct allocation.

You have to make two reservations if the trip spans two UYs. One for the part of the trip in the first UY and one for the part of the trip in the second UY. Then get MS to link the two.

You would need a reservation for Nov 30 and one for Dec 1-7.

I started a spreadsheet we love poly but no one or two bdrms is a deal breaker. Now, I just need to figure out pros and coins and must haves so I know what I can leave on my list. I think UY we have figured out. Trying to track prices so I know when a deal comes along.
Thanks for pointing out things to keep in mind.:figment:

September would be the best use year.... I have feb and I hate it bc we go between October- January ;(

Do you think once Disney Springs is done it will affect prices of OKW or SSR?
i doubt it very much.

It may already have. The Average per point price on both on resale is already up about $8-10 from last October. There seems to be a lot of activity in DVC right now and a lot of the properties have seen some appreciation so, it remains to be seen if this is long-lived or not.

It's great you are considering use year, OP. We didn't know there was a resale market,& bought AKV directly from Disney. Our guide knew we preferred Oct.-Nov.-early Dec. travel,& stuck us w/a Dec. use year!! We were NEVER told there was a choice! Not only does online booking over 2 use years not work,but when I booked our Nov.-Dec. 2015 trip in Dec.,the DVC was unable to book
across use years,& supervision had to hold 7 of our nites(Dec.) until the glitch was fixed(and they had no idea WHEN! We have the worst possible use year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter