• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Touring Plan Summer

justme0729

DIS Veteran
Were planning a June trip and we have never been to WDW in the summer. What do you think the best touring plan is? We definitely want to be in the parks at night to see the fireworks shows.... And we want to eat one TS meal per day. I'm thinking that we can go to a park in the morning, hang at the pool, then have an early dinner around 3:30 when it is likely to rain and hang at the park at night with fast passes at night so that we can feel free to do whatever we want in the mornings. What would you do? We are a group of adults.

Sounds like you have it right to me, it's pretty similar to what we're doing. DH & I are going in July (haven't been in summer since '04) & we are planning on hitting rope drop for MK for EMH's one day & staying til about lunchtime. The rest of our days we are going to plan a sit down lunch every day to get out of the heat for a bit then hit the pool if it's not raining (if raining then nap time) & either going back to the parks in the evening or doing some lounge crawls. DH is golfing 3 mornings so I'll either pop over to Epcot (stay at BWI) or hit the pool. Since it's going to be hot we are keeping our plans a bit more open than usual. Have a great trip!

Summer in Florida Touring Plan...

Day1: MK Splash Mountain then Plaza ice cream then hotel pool.
DAY 2: Typhoon Lagoon
Day 3: AK Kali River Rapids then Mickey Bar then hotel pool.
Day 4: Blizzard Beach
Repeat till it's time to fly home to Maine

Summer in Florida Touring Plan...

Day1: MK Splash Mountain then Plaza ice cream then hotel pool.
DAY 2: Typhoon Lagoon
Day 3: AK Kali River Rapids then Mickey Bar then hotel pool.
Day 4: Blizzard Beach
Repeat till it's time to fly home to Maine

I must confess I never understood the rationalle for leaving the parks midday to go to a hotel. There are millions of hotels out there but very few theme parks. You get there early and get a good parking spot and then leave so you can have a lousy parking spot.
Or if you don't have a car, you get into crowded busses next to people that have been perspiring all day. If you have small children and they are used to naps at that time of day, okay I get that.
As this poster says, there are good things to do in the parks when it's hot. Wet rides and water parks are fun but there are also indoor things all over the place too to cool off.
I'm from Philly and we get heat too. Most of the time Florida is hotter than us but many days in the summer we are just as hot and even hotter. Heat happens in summertime.

There are plenty of cool refreshments to choose from. A little planning and you're not in the heat mid day all the time.

We hit rope drop in the mornings, go back to the resort around 2:00-3:00pm for a swim, and then dinner anywhere between 6:00 - 8:30, depending on if we go back to the parks at night or not.

I must confess I never understood the rationalle for leaving the parks midday to go to a hotel. There are millions of hotels out there but very few theme parks. You get there early and get a good parking spot and then leave so you can have a lousy parking spot.
Or if you don't have a car, you get into crowded busses next to people that have been perspiring all day. If you have small children and they are used to naps at that time of day, okay I get that.
As this poster says, there are good things to do in the parks when it's hot. Wet rides and water parks are fun but there are also indoor things all over the place too to cool off.
I'm from Philly and we get heat too. Most of the time Florida is hotter than us but many days in the summer we are just as hot and even hotter. Heat happens in summertime.

There are plenty of cool refreshments to choose from. A little planning and you're not in the heat mid day all the time.

For us it depends on our resort and length of trip. We like to stay Deluxe, and we enjoy spending time there almost as much as at the parks. I don't see the point of going rope drop to close everyday. We are much happier and enjoy ourselves much more having a few hours to relax at the pool in the afternoons.

We are going in June, as well. We have two little ones, 2 yrs and 4.5 yrs. We plan on rope drop, midday break (noonish), back to park around 4 or 5ish.

Were planning a June trip and we have never been to WDW in the summer. What do you think the best touring plan is? We definitely want to be in the parks at night to see the fireworks shows.... And we want to eat one TS meal per day. I'm thinking that we can go to a park in the morning, hang at the pool, then have an early dinner around 3:30 when it is likely to rain and hang at the park at night with fast passes at night so that we can feel free to do whatever we want in the mornings. What would you do? We are a group of adults.

Rope drop and going back at night if you want to see the shows is the way to go in the summer. Just don't count on being able to swim in the afternoon on your schedule, the daily thunder and lightning storms can be a real pain in the neck and the timing isn't as predictable as one would think. One year we had to reschedule and go to a pool in the morning because our swim time kept getting lightning-ed out and the kids were getting cranky :)

We always do a mid day break when we go in the summer. At other times of year, we don't bother now that the kids don't need naps. But I need a break from the heat and sun, even if no one else does, lol! (And I mean a real break, not just a brief indoor attraction.)

We are always there at RD, stay through lunch time, then go back to the resort and swim/rest until dinner. That still gives us enough time in the evening to enjoy the parks after dark, and see the nighttime shows.

This plan does lend itself to late night/early morning combos. Which can be rough, but if you rest at your mid day break that helps.

That is pretty much what we do. We rope drop a park, have a TS lunch there. Head to the room about 1:00 or 2:00 for rest, swimming, etc. Then we head back around five till park close.

AK days, we just spend most of the day there. We leave at three or four for a little rest and swim and then head to another park.

this is my what one day for me ( I would say I am simi local living were i can do a day trip very easy and went about 50 times last year)

I try to hit rope drop you can walk on to most ( not all ) rides until about 10:30 I do my FP between 11 and about 4 ( if you want to do TS I would plane about a 90 minute break for your meal) I will get a spot in the shade with one of the bigger then your head ice cream sndwashes and watch the parade ( MK always has extra FP so when you are done with your first 3 get another one) or if I plane to stay very late like if the park is oped until 12 or 1 am I will head back to the hotel after the 3 pm parade and then get back to the park around 6;30 to 7 ( if I am staying on site if I drive I normally leave around 730-800) do a few water rides at the heat of the day.

some tips on staying cool ( I know you did not ask but here are some any ways)

drink water and then some more water and add a power aid in now and then.
sun screen then more sun screen
a hat with a wide brim
cooling cloths
fan with a mister
I like the omni freeze or zero cloths I think they really work

Is rain pretty predictable in the 2-5pm range or does it often rain at night too? If it rains at night, maybe I shouldn't schedule fast passes at night so the attraction isn't closed?

Is rain pretty predictable in the 2-5pm range or does it often rain at night too? If it rains at night, maybe I shouldn't schedule fast passes at night so the attraction isn't closed?

It can definitely rain at night too, unfortunately. We've had multiple evening shows canceled because of it. I dont belive we've ever had rain in the morning, that's probably the safest time. Though nothing is guaranteed.

Most rides won't close for rain though, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's almost impossible to go in the summer and not deal with rain at some point.

We are going in June also this year and here's my plan... for what it's worth. We have a hopper + waterpark ticket and plan to take 2-3 hour afternoon breaks a few days.

Day 1: Lunch arrival, check-in at AOA and head to Blizzard Beach for the afternoon.
Day 2: Magic Kingdom opening, afternoon break, back to MK to close it out with Wishes
Day 3: Hollywood Studios opening, afternoon break, back in the evening for Fantasmic
Day 4: Typhoon Lagoon. Disney Springs evening.
Day 5: Rest in morning. Epcot at lunch to tour world showcase all afternoon. EMH evening at MK.
Day 6: Animal Kingdom opening. Afternoon break, return to AK for evening offerings.
Day 7: Epcot opening for Future World attractions. Hop to MK around lunch until dinner at Ohana. Hop to HS for Star Wars fireworks and EMH evening.

I feel pretty happy with my plan, and I think we will be able to fit in everything we want while still taking breaks from the heat. We've never taken afternoon breaks before, so it was hard to wrap my mind around it at first. I think mixing it up with waterpark and afternoon breaks will be good for June.

Just keep in mind the attractions that close during the rain. Be sure to ride those in the morning. Just in case they aren't able to reopen that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter