Best to book direct or with TA?

So I guess I wouldn't want to be a TA! How do they make their money?

Our 1st cruise I walked into TA with a print off of exactly what I wanted, I knew what the cost was. She found us a great flight (separate from Disney) that i suggested through southwest because before i had done some price searching and because i knew all this she explained her fee was $50. The only reason I used a TA was because I was planning my wedding and didn't want the hassle (now I know it's not that bad) of doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Some, if not most, TAs charge a fee for airline reservations because several years ago the airlines cut way back on the commissions they pay. Some pay the TA absolutely nothing.

toywaltz said:
I'm sure there are people that like to have their hand held throughout a process like this but I find that more annoying and not worth a $100 OBC or whatever they might offer.

Please. Have my hand held? Give me a break.

I name my TA at the time of booking on the ship, so before that, I've done all the research myself already re: price, room, etc.

All we ask of our TA is to put 2 requests on our reservation - a "do not change room" & our dining rotation. That's it. I get $200 OBC & she gets commission. A win-win for both of us & minimal work.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do.

Silverfox97 said:
Commission made off the sale of your cruise/vacation, which they get after you sail/complete your vacation.

Still not quiet sure..... This TA owned her own business so it was just her. Do they get a discounted rate from Disney because I was charged what I found online, this would make her no profit or room for commission. Only way I can see this is if Disney is the one paying the commission? Don't mean to be a pain but it's always been a thought.... In the back of my head..... till now :-)

sgc1107 said:
Still not quiet sure..... This TA owned her own business so it was just her. Do they get a discounted rate from Disney because I was charged what I found online, this would make her no profit or room for commission. Only way I can see this is if Disney is the one paying the commission? Don't mean to be a pain but it's always been a thought.... In the back of my head..... till now :-)

Yes, Disney pays them the commission. The price you see on DCLs site is what you should pay from anyone when booking.

Example, Costco gives their commission made back in the form of a Costco cash card (instead of OBC). Several TAs give you a portion back in the form of OBC.

We love our TA. She is very knowledgeable about Disney and takes care of the little things we might forget. We do all the research as well, but in the end, we are helping small business and she is there for us with any perks she has and to answer any questions.

Would love to spread the word for her, but not sure if it is allowed here. So if anyone needs the name of an awesome TA, pm me:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter