Best to book direct or with TA?

lsjones

Mouseketeer
Can someone please tell me the best way to book a cruise? Friend and I disagree. Should she book directly through Disney or a TA?? Or Disney than transfer to a TA? Thank you!

I just went through this too! I booked our cruise (my first so I'm not the expert on this issue) through dcl directly. Then I thought about going through a travel agent because they offer on board credits and things like that. EVERYONE that responded to my thread said go with the TA! So I am transferring, but you get better deals going directly through the TA usually. You want to make sure it is a legitimate TA and has good reviews first though.

TA. You get on board credits that you wouldn't otherwise. And note that the OBC would be less if you transfer a res later.

That said, you need to shop around. For example, AAA has been giving out a $100 photo package for outside rooms and if you do it right (or even transfer a res during disney month) you can get a gift card based n the total purchase. This might be less than what you could get with other TA.

When you book with a TA, do you need to pay everything at once or can you pay the 20% down like you can on DCL?

When you book with a TA, do you need to pay everything at once or can you pay the 20% down like you can on DCL?

You only need to pay the standard DCL deposit amount when you book, even through a TA. If you do book through a TA all payments and communication with DCL about your reservation MUST go through the TA. DCL will not even talk to you about your reservation if you call. You can book excursions, etc. yourself through the DCL web site though.

Okay sounds good. I figured I'd decide what I want and see if a TA can do better. I was thinking either way I'd book through one since that's how they make their living and it doesn't cost me anything more.

Okay sounds good. I figured I'd decide what I want and see if a TA can do better. I was thinking either way I'd book through one since that's how they make their living and it doesn't cost me anything more.

Just so you know..... no TA can discount a DCL cruise, so the price will be exactly the same whether you book through DCL or a TA. Most TAs will give you an onboard credit or a gift card if you book through them, so that is the only difference. I'm pretty sure DCL still gives you a small ($25?) onboard credit if you book online.

Booked with AAA for Sept cruise. Received $100 OBC and a great photo package. When I picked up my cruise docs, received an additional $50 in Disney Dollars. I do not believe I would have gotten that going DCL direct.

outahere said:
Just so you know..... no TA can discount a DCL cruise, so the price will be exactly the same whether you book through DCL or a TA. Most TAs will give you an onboard credit or a gift card if you book through them, so that is the only difference. I'm pretty sure DCL still gives you a small ($25?) onboard credit if you book online.

This is true, besides the OBC you may get you will be charged the same rate plus the TA fee. This is why I booked myself this time. When I went to TA the first time I had it all figured out so there wasn't much room fir hidden fees because I knew what it was going to cost me! Now flights on other hand you may find a deal there! DON'T book flight (to expensive) through Disney or insurance (there's better coverage than what Disney offers). It comes down to what the TA is offering for OBC and if you want to be in control of your cruise or have to go through TA to change things, and depending on the TA schedule you could make a phone call to Disney faster than them! Do some research of the benefits of different TA, good luck! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

sgc1107 said:
you will be charged the same rate plus the TA fee.

Most TAs do NOT charge a fee.

1st DCL cruise we booked thru AAA & all the rest thru Dreams Unlimited. No TA fee, just OBC & great service!!!

I personally would not use a travel agency that charges a fee.

In response to the bold part - that used to be the case. Disney ended the $25 online booking incentive on May 31. Nothing extra for booking online any more.

And travel agents were able to secure the same credit for their guests. :)

Can someone please tell me the best way to book a cruise? Friend and I disagree. Should she book directly through Disney or a TA?? Or Disney than transfer to a TA? Thank you!

Sent you a PM

When you book through Disney onboard you get a really great deal (or at least I did). $200 OBC as well as prevailing rates and we only had to put 10% down. I booked 2012 and 2013 at that time and was able to get the same deal for 2013. Plus cancellation terms still applied towards the reservation. When I booked my 2011 cruise I did it through the TA and was only given $25 OBC and nothing else special. Hope that helps.

Has anyone used the Dreams Unlimited TA from here at the Dis? Just wondering if they were good.

ETA: This might be a really dumb question, but what exactly can you use onboard credit for?

Bonniec said:
Has anyone used the Dreams Unlimited TA from here at the Dis? Just wondering if they were good.

ETA: This might be a really dumb question, but what exactly can you use onboard credit for?

Yes - highly recommend Beth Fejer !!

Our on board credit covers our tips, Palo & usually makes a dent into excursions or gift ship purchases!

When you book through Disney onboard you get a really great deal (or at least I did). $200 OBC as well as prevailing rates and we only had to put 10% down. I booked 2012 and 2013 at that time and was able to get the same deal for 2013. Plus cancellation terms still applied towards the reservation. When I booked my 2011 cruise I did it through the TA and was only given $25 OBC and nothing else special. Hope that helps.

When you book onboard AND give them your TA name, you get both: DCL offer (100 or 200 depending on length of the cruise) plus whatever the TA has to offer with OBC.

Silverfox97 said:
Most TAs do NOT charge a fee.

1st DCL cruise we booked thru AAA & all the rest thru Dreams Unlimited. No TA fee, just OBC & great service!!!

I personally would not use a travel agency that charges a fee.

So I guess I wouldn't want to be a TA! How do they make their money?

Our 1st cruise I walked into TA with a print off of exactly what I wanted, I knew what the cost was. She found us a great flight (separate from Disney) that i suggested through southwest because before i had done some price searching and because i knew all this she explained her fee was $50. The only reason I used a TA was because I was planning my wedding and didn't want the hassle (now I know it's not that bad) of doing it myself.

sgc1107 said:
So I guess I wouldn't want to be a TA! How do they make their money?

Commission made off the sale of your cruise/vacation, which they get after you sail/complete your vacation.

We tried to use a TA for our first Disney Cruise many years ago and decided it was more hassle than anything. It takes five minutes to book online (once your account, passports, etc. have already been setup from prior trips) and we don't have to worry about things being lost in translation. I'm sure there are people that like to have their hand held throughout a process like this but I find that more annoying and not worth a $100 OBC or whatever they might offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter