Best time to visit Universal

indimom

Are We There Yet?
We're thinking about doing Universal for our next family vacation and will want to spend at least 4 days and stay on site. Considering hotel prices/discounts, weather, crowds, extra events, etc... when would you go?

Since we don't like to take the kids out of school, these are our options.
Dec. 19-24 2010
Dec. 26-31 2010
March 11-15 2011
Summer 2011 Anytime from May29 to end of July. Is there a better time in the summer for events/crowds/whatever?? We'd be able to pick almost any week of the summer.

We went to Universal the week before Christmas in 2008 and the price was nice, crowds were low, and we had FANTASTIC weather (upper 80s) so we got to use the pools every day. But, I know that's probably not typical. I can't decide if having use of the pools is a deal breaker or not. Thoughts??
Are there other pros/cons I haven't considered??

My vote is for Decmeber 19 - 24. My family and I are going then this year. We have been during all the other periods in preveious years and from a limited crowd, pretty decoration and enjoyable weather perspective, the week before Christmas realy can't be beat. If you stay onsite as well, that week will ruin you for doing a theme park anyother time. Have a great trip.

My vote is for Decmeber 19 - 24. My family and I are going then this year. We have been during all the other periods in preveious years and from a limited crowd, pretty decoration and enjoyable weather perspective, the week before Christmas realy can't be beat. If you stay onsite as well, that week will ruin you for doing a theme park anyother time. Have a great trip.
I agree...the week between Christmas and New Years is just too busy too enjoy yourself. But the week before is very manageable.

What about the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving? We are going to Vero Beach for Thanksgiving and are planning on Universal for the remaining two days of our vacation. Will it be horribly crowded?

to get an answer for silly pixie and to see if anyone has a different opinion...

When do the Spring Break crowds show up and/or will that matter when we're staying on site. I know the kids would like to use the pool and we probably just got lucky on our last December trip.

I would expect the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving to be very crowded. The March dates will have a Mardi Gras parade and concert, we go down for one of those every year and the crowds aren't too bad. You'll be staying onsite so for the most part crowds won't matter much anyway.

Thanks everyone, going to have to think this through, maybe price it each way and see what warmer weather and different parade/shows are worth to us.

I'm not sure when your kids goback to school, but they usually go back in mid-late August in Florida, so the last two weeks of August are usually much slower in the parks. We don't go back until after Labor Day so we get a not-too-crowded week at the parks and then home for a week before school starts.

We are staying at the Doubletree since we can stay free on points. Would it be worth it to buy the Express pass for our stay? It's still a lot cheaper than the room prices. I had initially thought about it, but then decided no since it doesn't include FJ.

What would be worse- Friday or Saturday do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter