Best time to sail to Alaska

KristiMc

DIS Veteran
Starting to think about 2015 and hopefully a Alaskan cruise.

For those of you that have sailed to Alaska, is there a month that is better?

Our kids are usually out of school the first week in June so we could go then when the rates will probably be a little less compared to later in the summer.

We went later June and the weather was great but that is no guarantee. The salmon run hadn't really started. If you want to see salmon and bears, July is probably better.

Second week of July forward.

I've been in late May and loved it. June is spectacular.

Honestly, it's so dang pretty, there isn't a bad time.

I'm glad you asked as I want to know also! I hope to see whales, curious if late summer is better.

We did the last one this year on Sept.2.
The weather was great and the rates were awesome. VGT was just about half price.

We've done Alaska in May/June and September. Our next trip is probably going to be July. Each month is really it's own spectacular event.

As to the weather, it's quite variable at any time. You can have sunshine, rain, fog, snow any time of year. Sometimes within 30 minutes. Even in the rain, Alaska is spectacular.

We've done Alaska in May/June and September. Our next trip is probably going to be July. Each month is really it's own spectacular event.

As to the weather, it's quite variable at any time. You can have sunshine, rain, fog, snow any time of year. Sometimes within 30 minutes. Even in the rain, Alaska is spectacular.

On our May trip, it snowed like crazy in the inside passage, and was awesome. The next day, we had blue sky, chilly, and pristine conditions for any activity you wanted to do. And I agree... even the rain is just unreal.

Thanks fot starting this topic KristiMc! I was just wanted to know the same thing ;-)

My husband and I are making plans for the Alaska cruise as well. We are thinking to go in June and I was wondering what the experiences are from the ones who did the Alaska cruise early June.

Gosh having sailed Alaska last year, there's a huge difference between the beginning of the summer to the end!

If you want to see more snow and ice in your pictures, aim for June and sooner! By late July in Skagway we were all shocked to see how bare the mountains looked since the previous time.

If you want to see salmon running everywhere, aim for August! It was like, one week - no salmon. Next week - bam! Hundreds! You could just walk down and touch em if you really wanted to. We all giggled and shrieked when we first noticed how many were in the little stream next to the sidewalk we were on.

But the BEST part about the salmon? Every week in August we saw bears. Every week! At the mendenhall glacier! So close up too! :cheer2:

June will be to early for salmon than.

How about the bears? Is June a good month to see some bears?

Gosh having sailed Alaska last year, there's a huge difference between the beginning of the summer to the end!

If you want to see more snow and ice in your pictures, aim for June and sooner! By late July in Skagway we were all shocked to see how bare the mountains looked since the previous time.

If you want to see salmon running everywhere, aim for August! It was like, one week - no salmon. Next week - bam! Hundreds! You could just walk down and touch em if you really wanted to. We all giggled and shrieked when we first noticed how many were in the little stream next to the sidewalk we were on.

But the BEST part about the salmon? Every week in August we saw bears. Every week! At the mendenhall glacier! So close up too! :cheer2:

I'm just going to point out that this past summer weather in Alaska was very atypical. Much warmer than usual. Yes, there's more snow at the beginning of the season (on the ground), but it's quite possible for it be snowing at any time there.

Great thread. I'm hoping for a 2015 Alaskan cruise as well and never even thought about it being different. I just was thinking cheaper in early June. Now I'm not so sure. Hmmmm...

Starting to think about 2015 and hopefully a Alaskan cruise.

For those of you that have sailed to Alaska, is there a month that is better?

Our kids are usually out of school the first week in June so we could go then when the rates will probably be a little less compared to later in the summer.

August we had a fantastic time!,,,

Sunny blue sky's.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3182194

See the photos

It was warm blue sky's little rain we got the closet the Wonder has ever got to Tracy arm, snd lots if salmon.

Great thread. I'm hoping for a 2015 Alaskan cruise as well and never even thought about it being different. I just was thinking cheaper in early June. Now I'm not so sure. Hmmmm...

No it's a good cruise, really. Alaska has a charm to it in all kinds of weather. If price were a driving factor, I'd say go when you get the best deal. My guess is you'll love it.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like it will be a great trip whenever we go.

We cruised the 2nd week in August this past summer, and it was great. We did have atypically warm weather -- beautiful sunshine and warmth on Tracy Arm day (although still bundled up due to the chill coming off the ice!), warm and sunny in Skagway, foggy but relatively warm (high 60s/low 70s as I recall in Juneau), rainy in Ketchikan --but that's not too unusual.

We saw lots of wildlife on the trip, including whales, porpoises, and seals while onboard the Wonder. We also saw bears, eagles, whales, salmon, seals, and sea lions on our excursions. (We went on a private whale watch in Juneau and the bear/wildlife expedition in Ketchikan). I think if you are interested in seeing bears, going when the salmon are running is key. We were watching them grab salmon right out of the stream.

Our schools start after Labor Day, so we had the flexibility to travel later in August -- not sure if that would be an option for you, but I think the prices are relatively less compared to July or early in August.

We cruised in late May and loved it! (and rebooked for late May next year). The waterfalls were spectacular - and one of our excursion guides explained that was because the snow was just starting to melt. We didn't get to see the salmon, but we saw bears on the roadside during our Yukon Expedition excursion and (of course) the bears at the Taku Lodge. We saw whales one evening from the ship - but didn't go on any whale watching excursions to know how those went...

We cruised the 2nd week in August this past summer, and it was great. We did have atypically warm weather -- beautiful sunshine and warmth on Tracy Arm day (although still bundled up due to the chill coming off the ice!), warm and sunny in Skagway, foggy but relatively warm (high 60s/low 70s as I recall in Juneau), rainy in Ketchikan --but that's not too unusual.

We saw lots of wildlife on the trip, including whales, porpoises, and seals while onboard the Wonder. We also saw bears, eagles, whales, salmon, seals, and sea lions on our excursions. (We went on a private whale watch in Juneau and the bear/wildlife expedition in Ketchikan). I think if you are interested in seeing bears, going when the salmon are running is key. We were watching them grab salmon right out of the stream.

Our schools start after Labor Day, so we had the flexibility to travel later in August -- not sure if that would be an option for you, but I think the prices are relatively less compared to July or early in August.

I think we were the week before you, the only negative some fog at night, and a little at the white pass rail, apart from that warm, sunny, blue skies wildlife, people in pools I recall in my trip report I wrote on one day is this the Med?, it was so so nice, we had the most fantastic time and all our private trips worked out very well.

See the weather in our photos most fantastic!

We went this past June on the 21 st. We had beautiful weather and saw eagles, whales, bears and a moose. Alaska is breathtaking! Take clothes for all seasons. They sold coats and jackets on our cruise for half price the 1 st morning for those unprepared for the cold. It was cold on our whale watching tour in Seward and at the Hubbard Glacier. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter