Best time to ride Hagrids

kvolk

Earning My Ears
Just back from Universal Orlando and got to ride Hagrid's three times. I never thought a ride would be worth waiting hours in line... but this one was! We waited from 7-10 on Sun. 6/30. Most of the delay was due to lightning in the area. They finally called it after the park closed. So we waited three hours and didn't get to ride. We made it to through the crystal room and the creature room with the bathroom exit, but stopped just outside the final roof room. But as a courtesy, they marched everyone in the queue over to Hogwarts and allowed us to ride Forbidden Journey after hours.

On Monday, July 1, the ride was closed til 8pm, that's right, 8pm! They were running maintenance on it almost all day. But we happened to be at Three Broomsticks and saw a crowd beginning to form. We ran to the lockers, then joined the mob. It was a cluster, but the six of us formed a conga line and made it through into the queue. We were near the front of the wave, waited 1.5 hours and got on the ride! It was amazing. Loved riding at night. Once you ride it, you get it. You get why it's prone to breaking down. You understand why it needs extra maintenance and TLC. Afterward, we celebrated our favorite new coaster with Toothsome milkshakes!

On Tuesday, July 2, we got in line at 2pm, and waited three hours. It was brutally hot--Hagrid's hut was in the sun. The crystal room was stifling without the makeshift HVAC return on the wall running. The BO in that room was ripe. And the queue was so slow. We drank waters and lemonades in line, but it was rough. We took turns going on bathroom breaks in the creature room mostly just to breathe fresh air. But we made it. And while we were on the ride there was a :15 sec delay where we just sat after the devil's snare. No big deal. While we liked riding it in the daylight, night is even more cool.

So we got in line again at 8pm and waited just an hour. And it was glorious. After two rides in sidecar, I rode the motorbike, and it was fun to sit up higher. (Tho with sidecar, it's easier to keep your hands up the whole way :)

TLDR: Until they figure out the maintenance schedule and open Hagrids at 9am with the park, plan to get in line around 8pm. We had good luck 2/3 nights at that time. Just check the radar for thunderstorms first.

June 29-July 1 were probably the worse 3 days Hagrids has had since it opened.

It was open about 35-40% of the time the park was open.

On June 30 it opened at 4:13, promptly went back down for 30 minutes and then ended the night on a weather delay(8-10).

On July 1. It started its pre opening warm up around 11:45 as we were exiting IOA, went to a blank status and then was online with a 3hr wait around 12:20. It appeared to go down around 3 and as you stated didn’t come back up until around 8pm. Some of that delay was weather related as lighting was in the area, outdoor rides at both Universal and Disney were offline because of that lighting for an extended amount of time.

That said ask any cast member that is associated with Hagrids and they will unofficially tell you, check the weather around 6:30 if it looks clear for the rest of the night and the coaster is up then get in line betwen 7 and 7:30 for 60-90 minute wait and not the posted 120.

All bets are off if the coaster was having problems all day or if there are evening storms.

Last edited:

We were there 6/24-6/29. We rode Hagrid twice. The first time with a 75 min wait and the second with a 65 min wait. I set my universal app to notify me when the ride opened up. On 6/25 I got the notification at 1210 and we made it over and in line at 1235. We were in the ride before 2. It was listed as a 180 min wait. The second time was 6/27. I got the notification at 11 and we were close so we hopped in line about 10 min later and waited just over an hour. We were very lucky!!!

TLDR: Until they figure out the maintenance schedule and open Hagrids at 9am with the park, plan to get in line around 8pm. We had good luck 2/3 nights at that time. Just check the radar for thunderstorms first.

My general philosophy with insanely popular rides is the exact same thing. This is regardless of what theme park I'm in. Typically, I always wait until the end of the night, when most of the guests are gone for the evening and those that remain are mostly watching the night show, or fireworks. For most rides, they'll either be walk on, or a relatively low wait time, for those popular, or new rides, you'll have to wait, but the wait time is typically cut by more than half of what the typical wait time is.

Until this ride is operating as expected, if you really want to ride it, I would not wait till the end of the day. You may just find yourself out of luck.

After they work out the problems, I agree, that is a good strategy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter