Best time to go w/out missing school: expert opinions needed

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
We've always traveled to Disney during mid-January, but our oldest has now reached the age when he can't miss a week of school unless the trip is more educational than Disney. :(

I'm looking for opinions on what's the best time to go to WDW...especially the second week of Christmas vacation (Dec 30 - January 4) or the last week of August and Labor Day weekend. Thanksgiving is possible but would mean missing two days of school.

I prefer escaping the cold weather and going during the winter. Some of my family may also not like the weather in Florida at the end of August. But we will consider it if the crowds will be much less.

We have no problem making rope drop. But, we've always stayed in a condo to save money and give all five of us enough space. That would mean no EMH.

We're also going to spend two days at Universal for the first time, so I'll need crowd info there too.

When would you go?

My mom always argued that Disney WAS educational. She pulled me out several times a year. She would usually make a deal with the teacher that I would do a presentation, write a paper or do something to illustrate what I learned. The only one I remember is taking pictures and writing about how monorails moved down a track in 3rd grade.

December is a nice time of year to go. We spent one Christmas at WDW, but have gone several times over winter break. It is crazy crowded (if you've never gone during peak, be ready for insanity), but the holiday displays are up. Summer is still crowded (not usually as bad as December), but you will not be able to do as much as you can in January. It is also horribly hot, and standing in hour long lines in the heat is awful.

I'd do the August dates. Better rates for the rooms.

We went during Easter Week this year, and it was fabulous, because we took advantage of a lot of late-night EMH. If you're not staying on-site or have younger kids, this will be less ideal, but it was so great to show up to Magic Kingdom at 10pm, watch the night parade, and then go ride rides as everyone else streamed out of the park.

I would go easter week with older kids anytime of the year. Great weather, lots of opportunity to dodge the crowds.

If you have a school that starts later, the last week of summer vaca can be great because Florida school tend to start early, so you won't have as much of the local crowd. You will have to deal with the crazy heat though.

Christmas week through New Year's in insanity. Every park except EPCOT is routinely closed due to capacity crowds. The weather is much easier to deal with, but the crowds push me over my limit.

It's really about what you think your family would deal better with, crowds or heat. If you can find a shortened week, where maybe he has a day or two off already, that could be good. We've done Columbus Day week a few times and love the lack of crowds.

I can only comment on the last week of August through Labour Day, since that's when we went last year. Crowd levels were not high at all. I think the crowd calendars had them in the 3 - 4 range the week leading up to the holiday and up to 5 - 6 on the holiday weekend. The Sunday of Labour Day weekend was our busiest day and even that was not bad at all.

We spent a day at Universal as well, but we were really only in Seuss Landing (my son is only 4),so I can't comment on how the bigger draw attractions were, it didn't seem overly crowded walking around or in the restaurants though.

August is hot, but we like the hot weather so that didn't matter to us. But, if you're bothered by the heat, that may be a big consideration.

From what I've read about the last week of December crowds, they are much higher than end of August, but of course it's not as hot. But personally, I'd rather have heat and good pool weather than having to wear long pants and jackets.

So for me, it would be an easy choice. I'd pick end of August and in fact, that's the time of year we'll be going next year as well.

I think the best time is either right before schools starts back up in the fall or right after it ends in the summer, depending on when you school lets out/starts back.

Here in the southeast schools let out at the end of May. A late may/early June vacation is not that bad because many other schools in other parts of the country remain in session until later in June. When I lived in the Northeast schools did not get out until later in June but they started back in September. A late August/early Septemeber trip would not be that bad because many schools have started already (like those in the southeast).

It will be hotter during these visit times then a winter vacation but from a crowd standpoint I think you would be better than visiting during a time where everyone has off (middle of the summer, thanksgiving, christmas, etc).

I'm one of those who will never see WDW for Christmas or New Year's...we do not do crowds.

And since my DH does not do the heat/humidity, WDW is out from May til October for us as well.

What does that leave? We look at the school calendar and pick a week where he will already be off of school for a long weekend - missing 2 or 3 days of school is not the end of the world. (Actually missing a whole week is not the end of the world in my mind, particularly if they are good students, but such is life...) Thanksgiving, Jersey week when we lived in NJ, Presiden'ts weekend, etc...

We are in the same situation as you OP, our kids are still young (10 and under), but we really don't like them missing more than two days of school at a time for various reasons. Our only other options are also Christmas/New Year's or Easter, which are both the most crowded and expensive times to got to WDW. Like you we are also considering Thanksgiving (would love to experience the holidays at Disney) then our kids will only miss two days of school; but that is still a more expensive and rather crowded time to go. We went at the end of August last year and had a great trip and are certainly considering that time of year again. If you can go to WDW the very last week of August, I would pick that week as that week is among the least expensive and least crowded weeks at WDW (crowd levels ~3) which makes up for the high heat IMO. Actually the summer crowds really drop off during the last two weeks of August as many schools are back in session. Nice promotions like free dining are usually offered around this time too. Of course it is very hot, humid, and there is usually a daily (but very brief) afternoon downpour; but the heat is manageable if you prepare for it, and at WDW you aren't standing in the heat all day as there are plenty of opportunities for a/c relief with all the indoor attractions. See this thread below for more tips on visiting WDW in the summer. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3026802

I prefer escaping the cold weather and going during the winter. Some of my family may also not like the weather in Florida at the end of August. But we will consider it if the crowds will be much less.

Yes, crowds will be much, much, much, much, much less the end of August/Labor Day weekend than the week between Christmas and New Years.

In fact, the week of Labor Day is probably the least crowded week of the year at WDW, while the week between Christmas and New Years is the most crowded week of the year.

I would pick June over August because the humidity has not really settled in yet. But August is much less expensive/value season and there is an almost guaranteed chance of free dining too. But it does rain a lot more in August too, plus hurrican threat.

We're going Thanksgiving week next week for the same reason as you. DD is in a theater group that has camp and a show all summer, so we're down to Thanksgiving or Christmas for now.

We do Columbus Day holiday (October), our school system born ally does a one or two day fall break and we add to it. We typically will check them out on a Friday early (still present) and add two-3 days to the fall break. We do 5 days of parks and the kids will miss only two school days this way.

Crowds are great during weekdays and bearable on weekend. We throw on a Halloween party and the crowds are low for it.

Actually heading out tomorrow for a short three day trip. We didn't go in October this year.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Our oldest is in middle school now, so that means dealing with six teachers, tests, homework, etc.

Our school year ends in mid-June and always starts the day after Labor Day. I love hot weather, but my husband doesn't, so I'll have to convince him that being able to go on the water rides and have smaller crowds will be worth it.

We went two years ago the week of Labor Day and it was hot and humid but not crowded at all.

This year we went Thanksgiving week because our school is off the entire week. The crowds were higher but the parks were open later so we could do as much as we did when we had lower crowds and shorter hours.

Plus for winter is the holiday decorations. Plus for summer is water rides/parks/pools. That late summer is typically cheaper too.

We enjoyed both trips differently so we will be back at both times in the future. You can't go wrong either way. It's Disney!

Do your kids get a winter break around President's Day? Or the week after? I always skipped school growing up and never had a problem catching up even in high school and college but if you have to pick a school break President's Day to us seemed better than when we went for Easter or April Break. I would not want to be down there in the heat and the pictures I've seen from Xmas week have scared me out of going around that time. President's Week offers and escape from the winter cold and the weather is normally nice at Disney that time of year.

Ever since our oldest hit 1st grade (now in high school) we have attempted to not pull them out of school for a Disney trip. We have gone during Xmas, Spring break and summer.

Our schools get out at the end of May and start mid-August so we have not gone at the end of August. I believe most schools start up in August so I think that will be a good option for you as far as crowds go. Don't forget that even though your schools start after Labor Day, they often have orientation/meet the teacher/drop off supplies type days before school starts. My kids never wanted to miss those. We found that the first week of June was very nice with lower crowds than the rest of the summer.

That said, my DH does not like heat either. He loved our Xmas and spring break trips. We went last year for Spring break and are going back again this year. It is more crowded, but we know how to tour so we rarely have any issues with lines. I have gone in the summer for the past two years with my DD as DH and DS have had boy scout trips planned. It is HOT. I found that I wouldn't even take a shower in the morning as I was dripping before the gates even opened. I would take a shower during our break or at night or both! So, if he can't tolerate heat, you may want to consider a different time.

Good luck!

Do your kids get a winter break around President's Day? Or the week after? I always skipped school growing up and never had a problem catching up even in high school and college but if you have to pick a school break President's Day to us seemed better than when we went for Easter or April Break. I would not want to be down there in the heat and the pictures I've seen from Xmas week have scared me out of going around that time. President's Week offers and escape from the winter cold and the weather is normally nice at Disney that time of year.

This is great advice - do you get a winter break? Our schools also start the day after Labor Day and go through mid-June, so your school breaks might be similar to ours. We get a week off in February.

If I had to pick Christmas vs. last week of August, I'd definitely go for August. I don't like the heat, but the low crowds make up for it IMO.

Another vote for August/Labor Day, better rates, less crowded. We did many trips like that. The only down side is weather, very hot, very humid and can be affected by hurricanes.

I agree with Freezing Cold B's mom. Disney is educational! ;) We go in early January to take a week out of Christmas vacation and a week to miss school, and get a 2 week trip. I would not personally go during Christmas season or during summer holidays willingly, but of the two choices I would pick summer,with preference to very late August. I have been at DTD on New Years' Day, and it frightened me. A lot.

I agree with Freezing Cold B's mom. Disney is educational! ;) We go in early January to take a week out of Christmas vacation and a week to miss school, and get a 2 week trip. I would not personally go during Christmas season or during summer holidays willingly, but of the two choices I would pick summer,with preference to very late August. I have been at DTD on New Years' Day, and it frightened me. A lot.

I agree Disney is very educational but unfortunately not all schools see it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter