Best time to go in December?

Nena2007

Mouseketeer
I've found conflicting answers on this. Our travel agent said that parade taping is the first weekend in December and then late December is when the cheer and dance teams come.

We want to go when it isn't so crazily crowded (hoping for another room pin instead of general FD) but we want to go when it is all Christmasy :) We are open to late November too.

Suggestions?

Parade taping is the first weekend. The only place that affects is MK and you can plan around it.

The Pop Warner crowds usually come in that same weekend and stay through the next one. They don't affect the parks during the day as that is when they have their competitions.

Your best week crowd wise is the last full week before Thanksgiving (not the week Thanksgiving is in). All the decorations will be up, but you would miss the Candlelight Processional and I believe the Santa Storytellers in Epcot start after Thanksgiving as well.

We went last December right after Pop Warner but before the crowds. Dec 12-17. Crowds were very, very light but the weather was absolutely horrid. I'm glad I got to see everything decorated for the holidays but now I wouldn't take the chance of planning that time again. I know it was a fluke and they had record cold, but it put a serious damper on our trip.:sad2:

Tallen - how cold are we talking here? I grew in up MI but now we live in TX. LOL I can (hopefully) handle both extremes.

Since Christmas falls on a Sunday the 2 weeks before hand will be VERY VERY crowded. If you can go , go the first week in Dec. WONDERFUL time no crowds. You get to watch the taping for christmas. Plus alot of the crowds in the taping are locals. Alot of them only come to MK that day for the taping and go home afterward. You cant go wrong with those days. From Dec, 10th -Dec 25th , the crowds grow and grow and GROW! Then its bumper cars trying to walk around.

Tallen - how cold are we talking here? I grew in up MI but now we live in TX. LOL I can (hopefully) handle both extremes.

I'm from MI. I think it was colder in Orlando...LOL! (only slightly kidding)
It was down in the 30's a bit, highs of maybe low 50's. We had on long underwear, multiple layers of clothing and even had those hand warmer things in our gloves and my son still couldn't stand to be out on Main Street and night. He was BEGGING to leave after the ELP.
I didn't bother me as much as my son and my Mom (she's 76).
It was gray and drizzly a lot too. Yuck.

Of course that isn't their normal weather, but once was enough for me.;)

I was down there week prior and being a gander girl myself I'd have been fine if I had my gloves and a coat. My sweat shirt wasn't cutting it that trip. I believe temps were in 30's and high 20's at night.

Subscribing to this thread. DW and I were wondering ourselves. We want to go next year as well. We're hoping to go Dec 2nd-15th. Try to leave hopefully before the crowds start pouring in. Last year, temps were below 0 here in NM, so if we survived that, I think we would be able to handle the cold.

The weekends in December are really busy with the first weekend being the parade taping. The second weekend Pop Warner is leaving, but a lot stick around throught the weekend before heading home. Plus lots of locals come in for the Christmas stuff on the weekends. The real Chirstmas crowds start rolling in the weekend before Christmas and stay through New Years. The weekdays aren't too bad the first few weeks in December, but they have gotten busier and busier every year. Also any night that doesn't have a Christmas party in MK will be PACKED. It really isn't a slow time at all. We were there last December and it was FREEZING. The Monday we left it was in the upper 20's/ low 30's for the better part of the day with a biting wind.

We still enjoy our trips this time of year and with the exception of the MK, the crowds are pretty manageable. The weather though is my biggest issue...it is such a mixed bag.

Subscribing to this thread. DW and I were wondering ourselves. We want to go next year as well. We're hoping to go Dec 2nd-15th. Try to leave hopefully before the crowds start pouring in. Last year, temps were below 0 here in NM, so if we survived that, I think we would be able to handle the cold.

But at home in NM you can go inside where it's nice and warm. Don't underestimate the cold temps in FL and the fact that you will be outside and pack/dress accordingly.

But at home in NM you can go inside where it's nice and warm. Don't underestimate the cold temps in FL and the fact that you will be outside and pack/dress accordingly.

Exactly. We are used to the cold too, but we also aren't spending extended periods of time out in it like at DW! Also, the layering is important because you are constantly in and out of buildings/attractions of varying temps. And if you have a stroller or something like that to push, GLOVES!!!! You may not normally need them at home, but pushing a stroller even in 40 degree temps is not fun.

This is true, however; I have a part time job that requires I work outside and this past winter, some of the days I was working got really REALLY cold. Aside from it being unusually cold, like the OP, I'm more interested in the crowd levels.

I've gone twice, 2007 and 2009, the week right before Christmas, including the weekend. The crowds are light to moderate. I think many kids may still be in school and people are doing their last minute holiday planning. The crowds begin to roll in on the 23rd or 24th, which is when we have left.

According to the crowd calendars I think your best bet would be Dec 3-10. They say it will be 4's at that time and 6's on the weekends. Keep in mind Pop Warner will be there during this time, but as someone else said they will be busy with their competitions during the day.

The second week of December was awesome for us. Christmas decor everywhere, very little wait for rides. We went to the Mickey Christmas Party, which will have crowds for that in the evening and you need tickets for. We watched great Christmas Shows...it was the best week ever!!!

I normally head to WDW in early Dec every year...at least for the past 7 years and going again this Dec. I have to tell you...last Dec was a nightmare. I'm from central Mass..it gets cold here and I have no problem with the cold. But, last Dec, there was only one day, in the entire week, that I was able to go with jeans and a short sleeved shirt. Otherwise, it was jeans, shirt, sweatshirt and a flannel lined windbreaker, and sneakers and socks!!! I was at US/IoA early one morning...riding Dragon Challenge. I thought my face was going to fall off..it was that cold!!
I can't figure it out, but 45 is much colder in Florida than it is in Mass!!! And when it went down to the high 30's???? OMG!! You should see the CMs all bundled up. Hats, scarves covering their faces, mittens and heavy coats...just like we would wear when it gets down to below 0!!

So, be prepared for the worst and bring appropriate clothing. That one day I was able to wear just the tee shirt??? Lasted all of 3 hrs before the sweatshirt went back on.
And since I was there the preceeding August, and they were in the midst of a heat wave???? I think it's just me..it's either going to bone chilling cold or blood boiling hot!!!

I normally head to WDW in early Dec every year...at least for the past 7 years and going again this Dec. I have to tell you...last Dec was a nightmare. I'm from central Mass..it gets cold here and I have no problem with the cold. But, last Dec, there was only one day, in the entire week, that I was able to go with jeans and a short sleeved shirt. Otherwise, it was jeans, shirt, sweatshirt and a flannel lined windbreaker, and sneakers and socks!!! I was at US/IoA early one morning...riding Dragon Challenge. I thought my face was going to fall off..it was that cold!!
I can't figure it out, but 45 is much colder in Florida than it is in Mass!!! And when it went down to the high 30's???? OMG!! You should see the CMs all bundled up. Hats, scarves covering their faces, mittens and heavy coats...just like we would wear when it gets down to below 0!!

So, be prepared for the worst and bring appropriate clothing. That one day I was able to wear just the tee shirt??? Lasted all of 3 hrs before the sweatshirt went back on.
And since I was there the preceeding August, and they were in the midst of a heat wave???? I think it's just me..it's either going to bone chilling cold or blood boiling hot!!![/QUOTE]
So it's it's "just you" do me a favor and don't go 9/16-9/21 or 12/3-12/12 as we'll be there & I'd prefer moderate temps rather than extremes lol :lmao:
We were in WDW for the week of NYE 2011 and while we had a blast (yes it was insanely crowded) it was freezing! I know what you mean about temps being colder there than at home. one of the days we were there, we went to animal kingdom, and they had those workshop type "tube" heaters facing into the oasis all around it to try & save the plants.. they had already moved all (or most) of the widlife to shelter.. most of the week we were there it was in the mid 30's... brrrr.... but a cold day in WDW is better than a cold day anywhere else... just be prepared!

We have gone in early Dec. for the past few years. Last year was hopefully a fluke. I could not believe how cold it was. Thankfully I packed accordingly. I found it funny that I was in Target the week before we left buying matching fleeces for WDW. It was 22 degrees the night we were in EPCOT. Thank goodness for the warm mulled wine in Germany. LOL. We wore winter coats hats and gloves from the second day. It was warm enough for the kids to swim the 1st day. It was that crazy. We were there Dec.10-16 2010. This year were are booked Dec.13-19th. I hope not to be shopping for matching fleeces this year.

We were also there last year- Dec 9th thru the 18th. It was cold and a little more crowded than we were used to- so we are back to the first full week of December this year, the 3 thru the 19th! But no matter what, it will be magical- and the Christmas time deco will be warming! Have a VERY MERRY time!!! :santa:

According to the crowd calendars I think your best bet would be Dec 3-10. They say it will be 4's at that time and 6's on the weekends. Keep in mind Pop Warner will be there during this time, but as someone else said they will be busy with their competitions during the day.

That's when we will be there. This will be our first Dec. trip and are very excited to see all of the decorations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter