• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Time to Buy Plane Tickets

qtmissy19

Earning My Ears
So I have never had to buy plane tickets before. We are leaving out of a Chicago airport (either Midway or O'Hare) from December 12th to December 19th. I have been watching the websites and seeing that there isn't many nonstop from Chicago to Orlando in December or November, but October there are a lot of them right now. When time gets closer do more flights get added? Also do you think October is a good time to buy tickets for December? I am trying to get a good priced (obviously) nonstop flight, but don't know when to buy. Any ideas?

I would purchase my airline tickets months ahead of the scheduled flights. As the intended flight days approach, the cost can increase. I also register my flights with www.Yapta.com and if the flights decrease in cost you are notified by Yapta via Email with the drop in price. You can then call the airline and request a rebate. You will receive a credit towards you next airline ticket with that airline. Yapta also notifies you regularly regarding the current costs of the same flight you are taking. :thumbsup2

We fly Southwest and they may offer no stops from Midway. I've found that buying early is better and with Southwest, they will give you credit for future travel if the price goes down if you ask for it!

Usually the earlier the better on plane tickets. A site like KAYAK can give you a starting point, but always check directly with the airline (by phone(if it doesn't cost anything) or online) to make sure you are getting the best deal. I agree with the PP. Check with Southwest. They have some of the most liberal policies on changes and also no bag fees. By the way, Southwest doesn't show up in most of the search sites like KAYAK. You have to go directly to their website. The airfare business is crazy sometimes. If you're flexible check different dates and alternative airports. It ca make a huge difference in price. Good luck.

Spirit, American and UA all have nonstop flights for your dates ORD-MCO.

Usually once schedules are released, airlines do not add flights. I would be buying tickets for a December flight now.

I would purchase my airline tickets months ahead of the scheduled flights. As the intended flight days approach, the cost can increase. I also register my flights with www.Yapta.com and if the flights decrease in cost you are notified by Yapta via Email with the drop in price. You can then call the airline and request a rebate. You will receive a credit towards you next airline ticket with that airline. Yapta also notifies you regularly regarding the current costs of the same flight you are taking. :thumbsup2
The bolded might be correct, but you need to consider change fees. Jet Blue just set their change fee to $75, most legacy airlines are $200. SW has no change fee.

I was a travel agent and also worked in the reservations department in Delta for years. For your dates, October would probably be the best time. The best fares are usually 4-6 weeks out.

We have bought at all different stages. Our best deals came when we bought when the flights for our dates first came out and one time we were gonna drive but I kept checking airfare, just in case and two weeks before our trip, I came across a great deal, which I never dreamed I would get because there were 5 of us flying. It just varies, but normally, I know when we are going and as soon as they publish airfare, I book it. I only got the last minute deal because we were ok with driving, if I had to depend on the last minute deal, it would have never happened.

Funny, because we take trips 4-6 times a year and I ALWAYS buy my fares within this window and always get the lowest fares.

How do you know this, unless you are checking fares on many airlines many times a day for months? They fluctuate all the time. The 4-6 week time frame may have worked for you, but it's not true.

How do you know this, unless you are checking fares on many airlines many times a day for months? They fluctuate all the time. The 4-6 week time frame may have worked for you, but it's not true.

The most recent study indicates 54 days before flight is the best time to book.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/01/best-time-to-book-a-flight_n_4875266.html

The study tracked over 4 million airline trips from 320 days before take off up to the day before.

Do you have any more recent studies to share?

Speakers at the NY Times travel show have the same thoughts. Many people book air too early.

I don't know if the study included Southwest. It's possible flights to MCO don't follow the general rule.

The most recent study indicates 54 days before flight is the best time to book.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/01/best-time-to-book-a-flight_n_4875266.html

The study tracked over 4 million airline trips from 320 days before take off up to the day before.

Do you have any more recent studies to share?

Speakers at the NY Times travel show have the same thoughts. Many people book air too early.

I don't know if the study included Southwest. It's possible flights to MCO don't follow the general rule.
From your article...
While the researchers found that 54 days was indeed the magic number for booking on average, they’re quick to point out that this isn’t a hard-and-fast rule: your flight’s “best price” window depends a lot on the specific trip you’re taking.

While I can't point to studies, I can point to the last two flights where I was able to book at 320 days from the return flight, I did and the price NEVER got down as low as as what I purchased. Yes, I was on a legacy airline, and yes, I kept looking at prices.

Were my flights the exception? Maybe. But even the study that looked at four million flights say there's no hard and fast rule.

I also wonder if Cheapair.com (who did the study) looked at flights on their own or only those flights their users searched for.

And from Cheapair.com
It is less important to remember the 54 days number, and more important to understand that the market for each exact trip is so unique and so volatile that averages are not that meaningful. Unfortunately, there isn’t any silver bullet, best-time-to-buy, that you can mark in your calendar and not have to worry about. We constantly tell would-be flyers to search for flights early and often. As soon as you know you might be taking a trip, start checking fares. This doesn’t necessarily mean to buy early – in fact, most of the time we suggest waiting. But you want to become familiar with the market on your exact travel dates so you know what’s a good fare, what’s not, and what’s realistic.

CheapAir.com also has a follow up article on when to ignore their '54 day advice': http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/when-to-ignore-our-advice-and-book-your-flight-as-early-as-possible/

I fly with Southwest out of Midway & I think it's better to book early with them. I booked a non-stop return flight back to Chicago in October in early June for 99 bucks. And if I counted right there are 8 non-stop dates for the dates you're traveling (that's with SW).

I have yet to book my flight to Orlando because my sisters doing that but in two months the price went from about 140 to 200+. Figured I would try that 6 week before a vacation thing or whatever it is. Never again. :rotfl:

I can only base my answer on published research studies and my own personal experience. So far this year (Jan-Aug), my husband and I have spent over $20,000 on airfare (some domestic, more international tickets) for our business and personal travel and if we had waited until 4-6 weeks before trips to buy airfare, we would have spent much, much more. Other people obviously have different experiences. That is why I think you shouldn't make blanket statements as to the best time to buy airfare. It just depends on the airline, routing, and phase of the moon ;)

I can only base my answer on published research studies and my own personal experience. So far this year (Jan-Aug), my husband and I have spent over $20,000 on airfare (some domestic, more international tickets) for our business and personal travel and if we had waited until 4-6 weeks before trips to buy airfare, we would have spent much, much more.
You can't have it both ways.
Your comments to teambeaman equally applies to your observations. FWIW the 54 day number applies to domestic flights. The "best" day to book international flights is around 6 months.

Booking a year out can be a big negative. High change fees charged by most airlines will more then wipe out any savings if your plans change.

Sam makes some good points. People booking during popular vacation periods could find their flights sold out rather then be discounted.

My point. The 4-6 week "rule of thumb" posted by teambeaman is supported by a review of extensive data.

You can't have it both ways. Your comments to teambeaman equally applies to your observations. FWIW the 54 day number applies to domestic flights. The "best" day to book international flights is around 6 months. Booking a year out can be a big negative. High change fees charged by most airlines will more then wipe out any savings if your plans change. Sam makes some good points. People booking during popular vacation periods could find their flights sold out rather then be discounted. My point. The 4-6 week "rule of thumb" posted by teambeaman is supported by a review of extensive data.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter