• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time of year to swim at CC

lovwdwalot

Mouseketeer
We did a Disney Cruise in April of last year and the water at Castaway Cay was very cold! :eek: So I was wondering if anyone else had has the same experience in the early part of the sailing season also. The reason I'm asking is because we are looking to do another Disney Cruise this year and we would like to know what months would be the best time to go again.
Thanks!
Dave

I have been their in Jan., March and August. August wins. It is hot and the water was wonderful. Kathy

Ah, I had to get in on this thead...
We are going this December. Yes, I realize that is not going to be as warm as August, but I am hoping that someone will say that it is still very pleasant...especially for those of us coming from cold/snowy climates!
Our last (and first!) DCL cruise was the west coaster...no CC at all. AND, the weather was only good for a day and a half of the 7 days. We are really looking forward to CC since we are having to haul all the way across the country to get there!
Any good (warm!) news? :cool2:

Stinasmom said:
We are going this December. Yes, I realize that is not going to be as warm as August, but I am hoping that someone will say that it is still very pleasant...especially for those of us coming from cold/snowy climates!

I was wondering too. How does it compare to the Great Lakes? Is it just not warm water or is it a polar bear swim? Maybe in between?

We were in Naussa in Dec and the water was very cold but it was also in a channel about 15' deep? It was much colder then I was expecting. The water in St Thomas and Tortola was much warmer.

fakereadhed said:
I was wondering too. How does it compare to the Great Lakes? Is it just not warm water or is it a polar bear swim? Maybe in between?

I'm originally from Michigan. The cold isn't the issue, the water at CC isn't particularly pleasant to swim in. Especially if you prefer fresh water. But even for salt water fans (i live 10 minutes from a salt water beach now), it's not particularly nice.

We swam (actually snorkeled) at CC on our first cruise, but didn't bother on our second.
The snorkeling is lousy and the water is worse. Not worth the effort.

Wow, that's disappointing. How is the water 'bad'? I'm not sure I'm following.

I did see some pictures that someone else took recently though and the beach looked like it wasn't sand up to the water- it looked like sand and then 10-15ft from the water (to the water) was a bunch of green seaweed looking stuff. YOu have to walk thru that to get to the water? ewwww

(ps. I'm asking because we had intended on doing other things at the other ports- and making our "beach" days be at CC the two days we're scheduled to go there on our cruise. I hope we're not disappointed! We were also going to snorkel with the kids there... )

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:

I did see some pictures that someone else took recently though and the beach looked like it wasn't sand up to the water- it looked like sand and then 10-15ft from the water (to the water) was a bunch of green seaweed looking stuff. YOu have to walk thru that to get to the water? ewwww

(ps. I'm asking because we had intended on doing other things at the other ports- and making our "beach" days be at CC the two days we're scheduled to go there on our cruise. I hope we're not disappointed! We were also going to snorkel with the kids there... )

i'm sure you'll like it....just about everyone does...
take what i say with a grain of salt....as i said, we live 10 minutes from the sea and a short hop from a magnificent coral reef, so CC was indeed a disappointment for us (the swimming part of it)....but it's not for most people...

if you want to snorkel, you should be in the water really early, because the water gets very difficult to see through the moment there are many people in it.....
also, the things disney has placed in the water to be seen are quite far out.....you have to swim far out to get to it....

on the other hand, on our second cruise we very much enjoyed CC since we didn't bother swimming at all....we went on the banana boats, then my son went off to be with the teen club all day, while my daughter, husband and I rented bikes and headed over to the adult side of the island for the rest of the day.....it's wonderful over there.....especially lunch..
then to finish off the day, we went parasailing....also very nice...

we had a much nicer time on the second cruise on CC than on the first......

Stinasmom said:
Our last (and first!) DCL cruise was the west coaster...no CC at all. AND, the weather was only good for a day and a half of the 7 days. We are really looking forward to CC since we are having to haul all the way across the country to get there!

We went in Dec. of 2004. The weather was great, about 85, however, I thought the water was to cold to swim. Of course the kids didn't seem to mind at all. So I just sat on the beach, worked on my tan, and watched them have a ball.

Jennifer

I was in the Bahamas in November (not Castaway Cay) and the water was a little on the cooler side, but definitely still swimmable, nothing like the Jersey shore!!..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We went in May 03. The weather was hot but the water was still cold, but it was a diffrent kind of cold to me. It was cold when you first got into the ocean but within a minute it was perfect. We are going back May 06, and are really looking forward to it.

We just got back on 1/26 from a four nighter......it was a bit chilly but DD (5-1/2)never complained, she loved the water. It was mostly sunny and around 80 so it made up for it. I even got DW into the water @ SB.

We have been in November and September and both were great for swimming :)

disneyholic family said:
I'm originally from Michigan. The cold isn't the issue, the water at CC isn't particularly pleasant to swim in. Especially if you prefer fresh water. But even for salt water fans (i live 10 minutes from a salt water beach now), it's not particularly nice.

We swam (actually snorkeled) at CC on our first cruise, but didn't bother on our second.
The snorkeling is lousy and the water is worse. Not worth the effort.
Wow I could not disagre more. We found the water beautiful. We have also swam in puerto Rico and it was just as nice as there!

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:

No no no it is nothing like that it is crystal clear. Once people get in they kick up sand but that is to be expected.

Stinasmom said:
We also live in the NW and have been to CC 5 times in Dec, once in Jan and once in early Feb. The water has been great all but one trip - late Dec 2004. Compared with the water in the Pacific Northwest it is "bathtub warm". We found it to be just a bit warmer than So. Cal ocean water in the summer.

We were in Nassau and CC last September and it was wonderful. It was still hot and the water was great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter