• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time of year to go to WDW....

cuzinvin

Earning My Ears
My first trip to WDW was Oct 90, I remember that the days were 70-75 and nigts were 60's. I thought this would be a goodtime to go. This time I took my family for the first time in Oct, avereage temp was 90, high humidity, whee did I go wrong. I live in New England nd would not plan a trip in Jan, Feb, or March, you just never can tell if you'll be snowed in. Was this year a freak year? I also remember in 90 that the park was slow, this past Oct was packed, I realize because of the Katrina disaster, that lots of coferences were moved to WDW. Any suggestions as to when to go when it is farily slow??

We just returned from a week at DW and the weather was beautiful. Mid 70's everyday and crowds were very low. To me it was a great time to go. Unless you plan on using the pools alot January and beginning of February are super. The pools are heated so as long as you were in the water it was fine. It was getting out and running back to your room with a chill that was hard.

Oct and Nov use to be the value season - because of MNSSHP at the MK and Epcot's Food/wine festavial - they are now part of regular season.

so the crowds will get worst. plus of course lots of schools now have a fall break....

so don't expect the empty place.

the only time I think the parks are still almost empty is Sept and Jan....

WDW is already started to include the latter part of Sept in the food/wine festavial....

May can be nice - it can also be packed....I think it depends on who is playing at the flower/garden festavial....

I'm from Oregon so I am a major heat weenie. I have been to WDW end of February, End of March, End of April, End of October and Mid November. :sunny:

Somehow we have lucked out and only encountered 1 day of rain out of 5 visits. In thinking back, our October visit was the hottest and most humid of them all. The end of April 2005 was actually down right cold 3 of the days with a very chilly wind. I think the end of February or mid November were the most pleasant and least crowded.

We are going end of May this year which is probably going to be pretty high on my heat weenie index! :crazy2:

I am a heat weenie too, that's why I ask. One hot day, I figured that I would save my family from the heat that I came up with an awesome Dad is the best dad idea. I made this mistake to say to the kids, "Hey, who wants to ride the Monorail??!!" Well, me, mister smarty pants took the bus to Epcot thinking we can get on the Monorail ride in the MK. Well for those of you who don't know, that particular Monorail doesn't go into WDW, it was soo hot that day when we got off to get on the connector monorail, that monorail line was really, really, rilly, loooooong. I looked over and the ferryboat was just loading up, so I told the Fam to load on that boat. Not only was that crowded, but we were stuck upstairs wth no relief from the heat. So I was the most hated dad/hubby that morning. Needless to say M :sunny: r. Smartypants will keep his big ideas to himself..

The end of September/beginning of October is my favorite time of year to go to WDW. Yes, it can be a bit warm, but it's not usually stifling. Definitely warm enough to enjoy a nice, cool pool though! Crowds are usually light-moderate, except for around Columbus Day.

We went in Oct. 99, and it was just a little bit too cool to swim. We wore jeans and t-shirts to the parks. If you don't want to chance it being too hot for you, I would suggest between Nov. and February if you can.

We went in Oct. 99, and it was just a little bit too cool to swim.
We were there this year as well (Oct 29-Nov 6). We found it good swimming weather during the day (it was low to mid 80's). There was one day that week where it was pretty chilly. I recall walking into IOA in the morning and it was about 45 degrees at 9 am. It warmed up to about 70 that day. At night it dipped into the 60's, so evening swimming was a bit chilly.
We went Oct 31-Nov 6 in 2004 as well and it was also low 80's during the day. But we have experienced colder temps during this time period as well.
I agree, crowd-wise, the best time to go is Sept and Jan as Spicey stated. Seems times that used to be good have become very popular with disney events going on. We also had a very good experience, both weather and crowd-wise, in early Dec. But it can get quite chilly during this time period. We lucked out and had mid 70's to mid 80's all that week.

We were there this year Jan15-22 and we had amazing weather, the days were mid to high 70's and the nights were in the 60's....perfect!!

We went the week after Labor Day 2005 - the weather was cloudy and mid 80's - thanks to Ophelia who stalled out in the ocean.....it was perfect - the crowds were ok too --- it was just a couple weeks after Katrina - so I dont know if that made a difference.

We are planning a trip back this year the week after Columbus Day - it will be my 40th Birthday....heard the weather is ok and the crowds light....we'll see!

Have great time!

fausz4 said:
We are planning a trip back this year the week after Columbus Day - it will be my 40th Birthday....heard the weather is ok and the crowds light....we'll see!

The week after Columbus Day should be great for weather AND crowds! pixiedust: Have a wonderful brithday!

Between Dec 8th and Dec 16th great time to go.

We went to WDW from 12/31 to 1/14 this past month. Had a fabulous time. This was our second trip in 3 yrs. Both times traveled @ same time of year. The weather was insanely nice-only a 20 minute shower one day and 2 days with highs in the low to mid 60's. Rest of trip the weather was in the 70's to 80's. We flew from CA just as the deluge of rain hit for a week, so we were really happy to be in FL. Not having ever lived in snow country, is it impossible to leave town in the winter months??? In that case, I think I'd plan a trip from 12/31 thru 3/31. If you can get there in January, you won't be disappointed. The crowds are thinned out and the Xmas decor and Osborne family lites are still up thru about 1/3 or 4. We spend our first day at WDW just resort hopping to see the Xmas decorations. They are not to be missed and it's a good way to gradually get yourself acclimated to the whole experience. Good luck and happy vacation!

We take the kids out of school around May 10-16 and the weather is always great!!! We had 1/2 day of rain,perfect weather low 80's with a breeze,and NO WAITING IN LINES...we actually got off rides and got right back on again with no wait.

grumpy.uncle said:
We went to WDW from 12/31 to 1/14 this past month. Had a fabulous time. This was our second trip in 3 yrs. Both times traveled @ same time of year. The weather was insanely nice-only a 20 minute shower one day and 2 days with highs in the low to mid 60's. Rest of trip the weather was in the 70's to 80's. We flew from CA just as the deluge of rain hit for a week, so we were really happy to be in FL. Not having ever lived in snow country, is it impossible to leave town in the winter months??? In that case, I think I'd plan a trip from 12/31 thru 3/31. If you can get there in January, you won't be disappointed. The crowds are thinned out and the Xmas decor and Osborne family lites are still up thru about 1/3 or 4. We spend our first day at WDW just resort hopping to see the Xmas decorations. They are not to be missed and it's a good way to gradually get yourself acclimated to the whole experience. Good luck and happy vacation!

The reason why it's tough to plan a trip in the winter months for the states that have snow, if you plan a trip in Jan, Feb, or March, and the day of the trip you get snowed in, it really makes for a bad vaca, trust me I know. Or even being snowed in at the airport on the return trip with the fam really isn't so fun either........LOL

We have always gone to WDW in November or December. But this time we went in January. We loved it!! Weather was great, crowds were light. And I think the best part was going through the holidays knowing that we had our trip to look forward to after they were over. We are going back again January '07. Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter