• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time in Dec?

We wnet the week of Thanksgiving and the first week of December this year. For some reason the week in December seemed busier.

We wnet the week of Thanksgiving and the first week of December this year. For some reason the week in December seemed busier.

Probably because every guidebook, and travel channel special have been hailing early December as the absolute best time to go to WDW.

We were there 12/14 -20 and when I saw the line for ME....I was shocked..it was (without exxageration) 10 times longer than Sept 2007! I was like OH NOOOOO...we got thru that and honestly, the crowds were bigger than I expected, they were not bad at all. Not a drop of rain, only 1 night we really needed jackets (hoodie) and the longest we waited for a ride was about 45 minutes for EE. The 2nd closest was HM and that maybe was 20 minutes. I used FP only 2 times and that was for Soarin which posted a 55 minute wait and Peter Pan. Most of the rides were walk on to 15 to right around 20 minutes. We did not get to any parks for rope drop, I would say earliest we got anywhere was 10 to 11 am. We did no EMH hours either. The crowds seemed larger than what the ride waits were. What I mean is the crowds were large it seemed but the waits for the rides were not what I expected for the large amount of people in the parks. We did MVMCP and it was a sold out night but very managable to me also. I have said before that without little ones, we weren't looking for dance parties and character meets so that obviously affects how I experienced it as opposed to someone who was trying to have their children meet the characters and such. I more liked the atmosphere, we did the 2nd parade, have our fill of cookies and hot chocolate and did some rides. I didn't really go to the party with any "must do's". I would have no problem going this time of year again and actually prefer it for the nice comfy temps. Friday the 19th it was a bit too warm for me!:cheer2:

Can anyone comment on the crowds immediately preceding Christmas, i.e. 12/18 to 12/23? When do families begin pulling kids out of school, and when is the noticeable difference between the low tide and tsunami of tourists? I firmly believe the first two weeks of December have been lost to promotions, parade tapings, MouseFest and Pop Warner. The third week may be the new black, but when does it go from wonderful to tolerable to horrible?

We were there the 13th to the 24th this year and I thought the crowds were very managable. We are early risers, so we get most of our rides and such done in the morning to early afternoon. The only thing we needed fast pass for was Toy Story Mania. I walked on Space Mountain, Test Track, Soarin was maybe a 20 min wait. By the weekend before Christmas (Sat was the 20th I think) we saw the crowds start building. But we had planned for this and did mostly non-park activities on the 21st -24th (Pirate Cruise for the kids, carriage ride at Ft Wilderness, checked out resort decorations, bead activities at AKL, DTD, that sort of thing).

I would go at that time of the year again. Can't beat the weather! We are gong in August this year and I am not looking forward to sweating to death.

I had the same question. Years ago we used to leave with kids for WDW as soon as they got out of school for the holidays. Now that they are grown DH & I have become accustom to going the first two weeks of Dec. This past Dec. was noticably more crowded. We are planning a trip with kids and grandkids the week leading up to Christmas 2010. We are wondering what the crowds are like during this time frame now(week prior to Christmas). I'm thinking that being seasoned veterans, we will be fine.

Can anyone comment on the crowds immediately preceding Christmas, i.e. 12/18 to 12/23? When do families begin pulling kids out of school, and when is the noticeable difference between the low tide and tsunami of tourists? I firmly believe the first two weeks of December have been lost to promotions, parade tapings, MouseFest and Pop Warner. The third week may be the new black, but when does it go from wonderful to tolerable to horrible?

When are the parade tapings typically done? Are there more than one? I assume one is taped at the Magic Kingdom. I would like to avoid the park on any day there is a parade taping, since I assume it will be mobbed.

When are the parade tapings typically done? Are there more than one? I assume one is taped at the Magic Kingdom. I would like to avoid the park on any day there is a parade taping, since I assume it will be mobbed.

The first Sat and Sun in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter