• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time for Mexican Riviera

pinkcow

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

We're considering a 2011 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder. Since we've never been before, is there a time of year better over another? Any details we should know before booking?

Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Best time of year if you like water activities is August or September -- the water is awesome that time of year!

If they are stopping in Puerto Vallarta you really need to set up an excursion with Vallarta Tours -- it will be the best part of your cruise!

I agree with the above poster. However keep in mind that they are the hottest times of the year for Southern Ca. and Mexico. So if ya can handle the heat it is a good time to go. Avoid May due to May gray and is still chilly for the water. Beginning of June you will also have June gloom.

We like to go in July/Aug......but we have no problem with the heat. It is a dry heat not a humid heat like Florida.

We love Mexico and go all the time. The other months are great also. Just may and June you will tend to get some gloom but once you get into Mexico a ways it clears up.

Have a great time!

What about March? We booked the March 6 because both of the kids' birthdays fall that week.

We're going the last week in April, and I expect the weather in Mexico will be quite warm. No humidity in Mexico...are you kidding? I've never experienced humidity like I did in Acapulco in July!

We went last year in April. I thought it was the perfect temp outside, but the water was cold. We loved it so much, we're going again in April 2011!

We did this cruise and had to buy sweater coats on board for the first evening and then it warmed up, but on the return we needed them again. May have just been freaky weather for us Sorry about the wrong year, it was 2005 wonder were time goes.

It really depends on what you're looking for. Hotter weather and water will need to be late summer, August/September. But it is VERY hot that time of year.

It also depends on what hot is to each individual. We are from the Northwest, just having the sun out is an amazing thing for us, regardless of the temp. I would love it anytime of year. We went in August and had to get back on the ship because it was so HOT by 10am in the morning we couldn't stay out any longer.

We didn't book any excursions since it was our first time in Mexico, we stayed plenty busy without them.

We went in late March, early April, and the weather was perfect. The water was somewhat warm in Cabo, and warmer the farther South we went. Acapulco was HOT and HUMID. Only Cabo has the HOT and DRY (it's in the desert), the rest of the ports are in more humid areas...

We are booked for Feb 6th 2011. We have been 3 times. June, November, and Feb.
June was gloomy, overcast, and humid. (except Cabo was sunnier).
November was nice and warm, but Feb was just beautiful! (80's, bright blue sunny skies, and not humid at all) I'm hoping this next time in Feb will be the same. I have heard from July-October you will have more rain and humidity.

Any time can be a great time as long as you remember that cruising the Pacific is different than cruising in the Caribbean. The water can be rougher and is most certainly colder. I personally think the air is colder as well when you are at sea. In '05 the shops sold sweatshirts faster than they could stock them - and it was July.

whenever you decide to go, I hope it is a wonderful trip.

I have cruised Mexico in November, and it was great. Cabo was HOT, but the water was a little chilly. Not enough for us to not fully enjoy our snorkeling excursion. Mazatlan was awesome- warm water- not as crystal clear as the Caribbean but very comfortable, and warm weather too. Puerto Vallarta was overcast and humid! Plenty warm too. Cruising down to Baja and back up, both sea days were overcast and chillier. Good days for the hot tubs! We enjoyed that time of year in Mexico and have booked the Wonder for December '11.

We went in late March, early April, and the weather was perfect. The water was somewhat warm in Cabo, and warmer the farther South we went. Acapulco was HOT and HUMID. Only Cabo has the HOT and DRY (it's in the desert), the rest of the ports are in more humid areas...

I would like to clarify that My remark as for humidity was in reference to not being like Florida or back East :thumbsup2. Mazatlan and Puerta vallarta are humid but nothing like back east, its a dryer heat. Cabo is dry...living in San Diego We go to Mexico all the time and have a beach house in Daytona and the heat is so different. Acapulco is more humid but did not mention that cuase the DCL is not going there. But dont get me wrong, you will still feel the heat either way.

Once you past the baja the weather starts to warm up more. Be sure you have a jacket/warm sweater when leaving in LA, cause it gets cold here in the winter. Tonight it is 45 degrees out and we are 20 minutes inland from the beach. During the day can be anywhere from 45-70 along the beach.

I love love love Mexico.....so does DH and our boys. Dh wants to buy a home in Cabo. Have a great time and enjoy your cruise:dance3::yay:

As Lucky1 pointed out no summer in Mexico.

The Wonder heads north to Alaska in April and returns to Mexico in September. We always considered July the start of hurricane season so it's a great time to be in Alaska :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter