Best Time for bahama cruise

Carms83

Earning My Ears
I just booked our first ever cruise for January 12-16 2015 for the 4 night Bahama cruise, now I am reading so many things about it being cold etc at this time of year???

I was in Nassau in January back a few years ago, and had to wear my winter coat because it was so cold. I think the chances of this are slim, but it is always possible.

We have cruised to the Bahamas in May, June and we are about to cruise in April for the first time. I would cruise to the Bahamas in January just to get away from the cold but I wouldn't expect to swim, snorkel, lounge on the beach, etc. It would strictly be to enjoy the ship.

Edited to add: we are from GA and prefer warm water. The water at CC is cool to me in June. ;)

I was on the Dream Jan 12-16 JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO. The first three days were spectacular - warm (in the low 80's). We swam at Junkanoo Beach in Nassau and at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. Water was by no measn "warm", but coming from Minnesota - it was tolerable.

Day four (at sea) was cooler with more wind. A bit chilly on the top deck trying to catch some rays.

I would love it if the weather was always like that for a DCL cruise in January; but I wouldn;t count on it. Just a couple of days later the high temps were closer to 67 degrees.

Either way, you are going to have an absolute ball!

Warmest regards (pun intended),

Kevin

We went last January and wore shorts and t-shirts the entire time (except to dinner). Swam and did the sting ray adventure at CC. Water was chilly right when you got in, but we were fine, and had no issue with the temps. Leaving on Sunday for a 4 day to the Bahamas and it will be better than the 10 inches of snow they are calling for this evening!:cool1:

It all depends on where you reside. We're from Nova Scotia, so travelling in January is like summer for us, not to mention, the ocean never gets as warm here as it is there!

We've cruised 3 times during January-early February and while the weather is nicer than our normal Pennsylvania winters, it was not super enjoyable because of the wind and cooler temps. The water was fairly rough and we weren't able to have our beach day at Royal Caribbean's island. It's also peak cold/flu season and I will probably never again book a cruise during January-February.

After a bad experience with weather in February on the Dream, I've decided I won't do the Bahamas in either January or February. Castaway Cay was like a ghost town. The cruise is too expensive not to be able to enjoy my favorite port!

We cruised on the Fantasy two weeks ago and had incredible weather the whole week. High 70's to low 80's the whole time (except sail away day in Port Canaveral it was high 50's and chilly)! We had an amazing trip and swam everywhere! This is the 3rd time we've cruised in January-February and love to cruise this time of year (we're from NC).

Thank you for the replies. We decided to change our sail date to April. We want to be able to swim etc so figured April would be a good time

april is a nice time to go :) We haven't been in january yet but do have an early december cruise booked. I guess we shall see if we decide to repeat that. with our son starting kindergarten in the fall we don't have the flexibility we've had previously. I'm not against a summer cruise per se but the prices are so high and i remember it being very hot. Also...if we're priced out of concierge I may not get my husband on the ship ;)

Late spring
Summer
Early fall
This is prime hurricane season. I'd rather have a little bit of chilly weather than a tropical wave that is going to rock the boat. We just sailed the day after Christmas. While it was cool in Fla before and on the day we left, it was great in Nassau and CC.

This is prime hurricane season. I'd rather have a little bit of chilly weather than a tropical wave that is going to rock the boat. We just sailed the day after Christmas. While it was cool in Fla before and on the day we left, it was great in Nassau and CC.

OP was concerned about it being cold so the times of year suggested by the PP are correct for it being warmer in the Bahamas. Generally ships can sail around bad weather. You can't sail around cold. ;)

I would gladly sail the Bahamas in December but it would simply be for the Christmas décor on the ship and to enjoy the activities on the ship.

Been on cruises in December and January and had awesome weather both times!! Also a nice break in the winter!! :thumbsup2

OP was concerned about it being cold so the times of year suggested by the PP are correct for it being warmer in the Bahamas. Generally ships can sail around bad weather. You can't sail around cold. ;)

I would gladly sail the Bahamas in December but it would simply be for the Christmas décor on the ship and to enjoy the activities on the ship.

How cold are we talking (air/water temp)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter