Best Themed/Character Breakfasts or Lunches at WDW

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
So, we're in the beginning stages of planning a post-Xmas/NYE trip to WDW and it's looking to be like we'll be staying at the Dolphin. We're going with a ummm... "non-Disney" (I mean that in the kindest of ways!) family.

We've decided that for a breakfast or lunch each day we'll do a "Disney meal" (i.e. a character, like Chef Mickey's, or themed meal, like 50's Prime Time) then do dinner back at one of the S&D restaurants (which will definitely appeal more to their New York-style palettes).

My question is what are the best themed and character meals in your opinion. We've done quite a few but want to impress the rest of our group (who have expressed a desire to see characters) with fun meals. Which ones would you choose? Any to avoid? Thanks!

Well for fun, you really can't go wrong with 1900 Park Fare for dinner (I know you said breakfast or lunch but hear me out). The Step Mother & Step Sisters are a riot, and add to that you get to see Cinderella & Prince Charming as well. I know the food gets dinged a bit around here, and I'll agree it's not amazing, but we've always found plenty to make us happy. And the characters are fun for all ages.

Second choice would be Chef Mickey, and third would be Crystal Palace for the fun factor. If you want better food, then Tusker House in AK for either Breakfast or lunch.

:goodvibes

I love Tusker House. Unique food offerings, fun theme, and characters! Chef Mickey is of course a classic, and we also really love 1900 Park Fare for dinner! The stepsisters are a riot and make the whole meal worth it.

I agree 1900 park fare for dinner cause the character interaction is unbeatable!

I also LOVE tusker house breakfast and Crystal palace breakfast!:thumbsup2

since you are staying at the Swalphin- the Garden Grove has a character breakfast buffet that is low key Disney. Not overly crowded, good character interaction and very good food for a good price. They do take TIW and DVC discount (not sure about AP discount if that applies). Cape May Cafe also does a character breakfast and is in walking distance of your hotel.
I would avoid Chef Mickey's as it is LOUD! So if you are looking for low key Disney, this one may not be right for you.

Also a fun place to eat that is non-Disney is Beaches & Cream at the Beach/Yacht club. 50's style diner that's fun themed.
Non-Disney again is Rain Forest or T-Rex. Not overly great food but fun themed.

Have fun with the non-Disney folks. I commend you for being with them and looking for ways for everyone to have fun.

I loved the lunch we had at Sanaa. The food was great (interesting and well prepared), its reasonably priced (in the context of WDW) and seeing the animals roaming outside added to the experience, as well as the African theming and artifacts on display. I think it shows off the slightly more sophisticated side of Disney dining that might appeal to your friends.
(Of coursde you have to have the time to travel to AKL)

I also really enjoyed our lunch at Be Our Guest. We were able to get a FP so didn't have to wait so long, which of course helps my perception, and because I was thinking of it in terms of a QS (which it is), it stood out in terms of quality. Shows that 'fast food' in the parks isn't all about fries and burgers.

Lots of good options at Epcot, depending on how 'Disney' you regard those. Again, I loved our lunch at Tokyo Dining, lovely service, good food, quiet and calm, felt like we'd been transported to Japan.

In general we were very impressed by the Signature restaurants, but they aren't generally available at lunch, and again may not be what you're looking for in terms of a 'Disney' experience. (We had a super lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby, and in the evenings loved Narcoosees, Jiko and California Grill).

Hope your friends enjoy their time and appreciate the thought and planning you're putting in to it all!

Sencybil x

Sencybil x

I LOVED breakfast at Tusker House with the safari themed characters. They were in a unique dress and the food was decent breakfast food. Also, would recommend Sci-Fi Diner- thought the atmosphere was fun and unique! Food isn't as horrible as people make it sound. I personally am not a fan of Chef Mickey's because I feel like the characters are super rushed.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any more would still definitely be appreciated. We've got reservations for the Dolphin tentatively for 12/26 to 1/1. Excited!

Cape May Cafe is great! We found the food to be well above average, especially for a breakfast buffet. The character interactions were great and we thought the beach themed outfits were adorable. It didn't seem too "over-the-top" Disney, but we enjoyed the nice Disney touches (like Mickey waffles)! As someone mentioned earlier, it'd be very convenient for you since it is a short walk or boat ride from your hotel.

We love Garden Grill for two reasons Chip and Dale. You will not find a better character interaction. On our last visit my wife was 7 months pregnant and when she stood up to hug Chip he freaked out when he saw her belly, made her sit back down and began massaging her head. Dale saw this and came running over and started fanning her with a napkin, and then it turned into a full competition for her affection. As we watched them this wasn't unique, they had a special encounter at almost every table.

Tusker House, Sanaa, Biergarten, San Angel Inn, Hollywood Brown Derby, 1900 Park Fare breakfast, Sci-Fi Dine Inn, 50's Prime Time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter