best sunscreen for kids?

disneydreamin247

DIS Veteran
I need to buy DS some sunscreen for our trip. I usually use Avon but we've never gone in the summer and I want to be extra sure he's protected. That probably sounds neurotic but I can't help it!

My oldest DD has really sensitive skin, and was even on a course of Accutane post chemo and would get terrible rashes from the smallest brush with irritants.

We did Disney in the middle of the Accutane and I used the Pink Coppertone bottle for babies on her face and the Aveeno spray sunscreen that I use on her body and she had no reaction.

Both my girls now Know how to keep their eyes closed and pull their lips in while they hold their breath so I only use the spray everywhere now. Either the Aveeno or the Neutrogenia.

The spray is great because I can sunblock both of them in seconds each. Which is good for impatient little ones like my 4 year old.

The only thing with the sprays is to make sure you spray in a ventilated area downwind of others so you don't shoot them with the overspray.

While in WDW I would just spray them after we stepped out of the room and before we headed to the buses.

I use Coppertone on my kids (DD and DS 7 1/2). I used the pink bottle (Coppertone Babies) and now the green (Coppertone Kids). I don't know what the difference is, but if my DS sees a bottle that I'm using on him that says "babies".....

I also u se the Coppertone Kids stock for faces. It's like a big chapstick so you don't get it in their eyes when they turn away from you. Works great for the parts in hair and ears too.

I tried Banana Boat for Kids one time, but DS got a slight rash from it, so I stick with only Coppertone for them.

I only get the spray for them to bring to camp to reapply the sunscreen. It does make a mess (do it outside!!) and I'm sure has a high waste factor, and you can sometimes miss spots. So, I lather them up good when we leave the house and then they can reapply with the spray (and an extra face stick) while at camp.

I just bought Hawaiian Tropic for kids. It smell great..like a creamsicle
It doesn't run into their eyes either and its non-stinging and its rub resistant.

It also says on the bottle: "it uses less chemical sunscreens to achieve a higher SPF with longer lasting protection."

I also found this stuff called Bull Frog. It is a sunblock and bug repellent in one. It comes in a spray and we haven't used it yet.

I found both at Walmart.

I have a huge thing with Sunscreen now(SIL has Melanoma) so I make sure I am always stocked up on the stuff.

Apparently Blue Lizard is the newest top recommendation. My ped recommended as we could use it with our 5mo.
We used it last week with our fair, been in dreary Chicago all winter children last week while it was very sunny in Orlando. None of them got any color. When we have used other sunscreens in the past, they always got a little tan but didn't burn. This stuff works very well, is not greasy and is apparently good for the environment.

http://www.crownlaboratories.com/bluelizard/

I love the ease factor of the spray-ons but worried about them inhaling it. This goes on easy enough without the aerosol.

My dermatologist has been recommending Blue Lizard for a couple of years. We use that for our main application when we are leaving the house (or resort room) for the day. Then when it's time to reapply, we are BIG fans of the Bullfrog quicgel spray. LOVE it, and it is SUPER waterproof.

We just use the NO-AD stuff (SPF 50) from Walmart. Never had a problem with it.

We use a barrier (not chemcial) sunscreen for my toddler since her first trip to Disney when she was 6 months old -- California Baby (its available at Target). I really like that it is so gentle on her skin.

Blue Lizard for sensitive skin is the ONLY sunscreen my daughter can use. If she uses anything else she develops a rash. We have been using it since she was a year old. Now the whole family uses it.

Someone else mentioned Bull Frog, Bull Frog is great stuff. My brother in law and husband use it when they go fishing. If you have very sensitive skin, you might to test a small bit on your skin first.

The Blue Lizard is interesting. I may have to order some. My oldest dd and I have sensitive skin, especially my face.

we also use california baby. It ranks very low on the cosmetics database hazard rating scale:
www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Excellent recommendation for cosmeticsdatabase - I highly recommend it.

Most of the sunscreen brands mentioned above, such as Aveeno, Avon and Coppertone are not good at all. Very high concentrations of dangerous chemicals and not good coverage in regards to UVA/UVB.

I would suggest checking out cosmeticsdatabase and try and go with their top sunscreen recommendations as those are going to be a better range of chemicals (there is physical blocking and chemical blocking) in order to protect the skin. Most of the mass market stuff is just full of fillers and attractive bottles in order to get you to buy them.

Good luck, Tiger

I use Coppertone on my kids (DD and DS 7 1/2). I used the pink bottle (Coppertone Babies) and now the green (Coppertone Kids). I don't know what the difference is, but if my DS sees a bottle that I'm using on him that says "babies".....

I tried Banana Boat for Kids one time, but DS got a slight rash from it, so I stick with only Coppertone for them.

Last Sunday I put Banana Boat sunscreen on my 6 year old and she broke out from neck to feet (where we applied) and she went to the dr. to get ointment with steroid in it to relieve the itching. Poor girl was itching for 5 days.

So now we are looking to get something new and apply a small patch of it on her arm and wait 2 days to see if she reacts.

Thanks to the people recommending Blue Lizard, I'm going to give that a try. I did buy a bottle of Coppertone Water babies and will use that on my 5 year old until it's gone. I would hate to waste it.

We just use the NO-AD stuff (SPF 50) from Walmart. Never had a problem with it.

Same here! I understand it's the same formula as the Coppertone baby SPF 50. DS has very sensitive skin with allergies, and we've never had a problem.

Dab-on by Ocean Potion is GREAT for part-lines in the hair. Not greasy and dries quickly. Wal-mart or drugstore.com.

Blue Lizard is the only sunscreen my kids can use. We tried many others and it always resulted in rashes and our pediatrician suggested blue lizard.

We discovered Trukid from the cosmetics database, and LOVE it! No sunburns, great smelling, and no rashes for the sensitive skinned among us.:thumbsup2

Does Blue Lizard wipe off and constantly need to be reapplied or is it more of a apply once in the morning and once in the afternoon kind of deal? DS will not want me constantly rubbing him down. He has sensory issues and we have enough trouble dealing with them in WDW. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter