• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Stradegy for our pocket book?

2cutekids

Mouseketeer
My (ENTIRE) family is planning a trip to DW in early Dec. 2006. Does anyone have advice for what would be our best money saving strategy? :listen: I suggested opening a savings account now, JUST for our trip and as time gets close each of us could call and see if any of us have a pin# attached to our names. Are they still doing that? Then if one of us does we can book it all under their name, and just make one big check to pay for the rooms. Does that make sense? I hope I'm explaining this right. Anyway, my immediate family has always gone during value season AND have had a room only discount code. Since there hasn't seemed to be any lately (unless I've missed something) our budget is going to have to be quite a bit higher than we're used to. :crazy2: We want to stay at POR or WL, but I'm all about getting the most for our money!!!!!! ::yes:: :hyper: ::yes:: :hyper: ::yes::

RIght now the best deal for you would be to book with AAA if you are planning on doing a package deal because they can get the room discount with the package, you just have to find an agent who is knowledgeable. Even some of the CRO's I have talked to, have mentioned this.

You need to figure out if the dining plan will save you money or not. If you are planning on eating a lot of sitdowns and character meals then yes, it can save you tons. The cost for 2006 for an adult is about 37 dollars and for kids it is is 11(10.99 actually but hey). It includes a counter service, a sitdown and a snack, plus tips and taxes. The dining plan saved us 350 dollars vs doing everything individually.

Where do you want to stay? Both resorts you have mentioned are great, though I have only stayed at WL. Will your kids share a bed? If not you may want to look into the rooms with a trundle bed or request(they can not guarantee) bunk beds at WL.

What kind of tickets do you want? The longer you stay the less you pay. If your kids are fishes, you may want to try a water park. If your kids are happy with the hotel pool, skip it. Are you planning on going to Disney quest, Pleasure Island, etc. If you go during value season, it may behoove you to get park hopping, as the hours are shorter.

I would not count on any codes, we have not seen any for a while, the best discount out there is the free dining and that is only good this fall.

Hope this helps.

The good news is that you'll still be in value season, and that the AAA room discount is 20% for moderates then. That will help a lot. If discounts come out (and they might---the bump from the Happiest Celebration publicity can't last forever!) you might be able to upgrade to WL.

I haven't heard pin codes posted in the last month or two, but that doesn't mean anything for december '06.

I just booked my room and found that with an AAA discount I could get POR for 107 a night. Some of the rooms there also have a small trundle to allow for five in the room.

Once you become a member of AAA do you have to pay your dues yearly or is it good for longer? Just trying to decide when would be a good time to join since our trip isn't until Dec. '06

I think it is yearly, although my card says it doesn't expire until 2008. My mom works at AAA and sometimes the cost is reduced to become a member. I joined in the spring for 35.00, I think.

AAA membership is usually for 1 year from the date you purchase it. It costs me $60 a year. Besides Disney you can get discounts on shopping, luggage, they will help with trip planning and maps, discounted movie tickets. Also, as a member within certain locations you can renew your drivers license and not have to deal with the lines at DMV. Hope this helps.

2cutekids said:
Once you become a member of AAA do you have to pay your dues yearly or is it good for longer? Just trying to decide when would be a good time to join since our trip isn't until Dec. '06

When I booked with CRO they asked me for my AAA number, so you definately need your membership number in hand before you make your ressies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter