Best stores to buy office attire for a teen?

BeachLove

Mouseketeer
I promised a shopping trip for her first job (A younger cousin of mine). She's starting an office job this summer and is having trouble finding professional attire. I've always been in uniform so whats office casual considered to be now? Are polo tops okay or is that not professional enough? The budget is around $250-300 and we are going to try and get as many outfits out of it. Not including shoes.

I've been looking online and White House Black Market and H&M might be good places to start. Many stores don't carry the very small sizes so at least these two places do. Maybe express will work for plain basics?

Sooooo who likes putting outfits together and wants to help?

What a fun problem :) As far as dress code, that depends a lot on what the office environment is like. I would think a polo shirt would be for casual fridays only - but that is a good question for her to ask them!

My first inclination would be to get these things:

pencil skirts: one black, one color/pattern (but not loud)
pair of pants, neutral colors (black, grey, tan, etc)
button down blouse/dress shirts: one white, one color
sheath dress, grey or tan
different color cardigans: one neutral, one color
work appropriate shoes if she doesn't already have them (Closed toe)
belts to match if needed

These can go with anything she already has in her wardrobe and should give two weeks worth of outfits w/ accessories (scarf, jewelry, etc). A blazer doesn't hurt either but might not be necessary.

So, possible week's worth of outfits:

Monday:
pencil skirt, long sleeve shirt/top, cute headband or other accessory she already has

Tuesday:
grey or tan pants, button down shirt tucked, bright color shoes (closed toe) and belt

Wednesday:
sheath dress with cardigan and scarf, belt worn at waist over dress and under cardigan

Thursday:
pencil skirt with button down shirt tucked, statement necklace, could add a belt here too

Friday:
pants, top/cardigan, cute headband

You'd only have to buy one pair of pants, one skirt, one dress, one cardigan, and one button down to do that. Just add fun, bright accessories and she can still look "her age" and be office-okay.

Target has some GREAT stuff in this category that is dressy enough for office but isn't made from high maintenance fabric - a teenager is not going to get her clothes dry cleaned. Good prices, too, obviously. I think you could easily manage the list above under $200 at Target and the colors would all coordinate.

Banana Republic also has some good things in this category and they often have good sales. Old Navy will have some things too, but might be hit or miss with the more office-y stuff until fall.

So sweet of you to take her! You'll have a blast.

Do you have a local thrift store or consignment store? (Goodwill, Platos Closet, etc) At least i our city not all locations have equally good merchandise, but many communities have a "nice" place where good quality items are usually found.

I just took my daughter to Target to get some office wear - black slacks, cardigans, etc.

If you need small sizes try Ann Taylor Loft. They have frequent sales and carry small sizes. mrsdrake625's list is a good for basics. You might want to go through her closet to see what she has that would co-ordinate.

Do you have a Maurice's? They have a big selection of work clothes and basic pieces for very affordable prices! I love this store!!!

I promised a shopping trip for her first job (A younger cousin of mine). She's starting an office job this summer and is having trouble finding professional attire. I've always been in uniform so whats office casual considered to be now? Are polo tops okay or is that not professional enough? The budget is around $250-300 and we are going to try and get as many outfits out of it. Not including shoes.

I've been looking online and White House Black Market and H&M might be good places to start. Many stores don't carry the very small sizes so at least these two places do. Maybe express will work for plain basics?

Sooooo who likes putting outfits together and wants to help?

Seconding Maurice's. I'm a teacher ed student, and for all my pre-student teaching I've bought my teaching/professional clothing from them. They have BOGO going on right now (which means that they're about to get even more of my money...). Also, sign her (or you) up for their website and they'll give you a percent-off coupon to use. Kohls and JCPenney have a lot of great pieces, too.
As an older teen (for a couple more months at least), I'm big on looking young but professional, mostly with bright colors and fun shoes. I would agree with most everything on PP's list, but I would get at least 2 sets of basic bottoms (pants and skirts)--that is, 2 skirts 2 pants, or 3 skirts 1 pants, etc. She'll be glad for the extra one day. I'd also have a couple fun but appropriate dresses. Shoes are the best way to express personality, in my opinion--go for bright colored heels along with neutrals, and I think the occasional peep toe pump would be fine for the office. I personally wouldn't wear a polo shirt to the office, but I also don't particularly care for polo shirts and don't wear them normally, so YMMV.
Have fun!

I tend to shop Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom, too, but I suspect that isn't what you are looking for), Marshall's, TJ Maxx.

There are certain offices and dress codes where polos are not only fine, but the norm. Dh's company is like that - the men wear casual button fronts or polos and khakis or chino-style bottoms. I wore the same, subbing knee length skorts/skirts in the summer.

The key is to observe what is worn in the office for the first two weeks, so I would start with 2 bottoms (skirt or slacks) in navy and khaki, with some cute button front blouses and 2 pair of cute flats or wedges. A couple of nice, simple, solid color tees can make a nice addition (they look like the silk shells I wore under my suits when I got my first professional job - Kohl's has them in multiple colors) if she can dress them up a bit with a scarf or a chunky necklace. Make sure she has a nice cardigan - offices get cold!

The above pieces will work with any dress code except one that requires suits. Then she can determine what she needs for the rest of her wardrobe to fit in.

You could try the The Limited. If she has a student ID, she can get a discount. Also, Ann Taylor and Loft are great, especially the outlets. My favorite for work clothes is the Banana Republic factory store.

When I worked, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft were my go to work clothes stores. Talbots also has good classics; however, I sometimes find their clothes a bit frumpy, so you have to look around. Have fun!

Express editor pants are amazing. Definitely something age appropriate from teens on up in an office. Great fit typically. I love the limited. Target has some great ponte pencil skirts that are quite inexpensive.

Loft or Ann Taylor, Macy's, Kohls has some and occasionally I can find stuff at Target. Dress Barn is hit or miss. Look for sales or just walk to the sale rack. The higher end stuff lasts longer.

Don't forget Eddie Bauer. They have some very nice on-trend work clothing, though much of it is not sold in the stores, but only online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter