Best sneakers for Disney World?????

KelMarie1575

Earning My Ears
Hi All! This might seem like a silly question to post but I figured what the heck? I'm not a sneaker aficionado so I thought some of you seasoned Disney vets might point me in the right direction. I need to get a new, comfy pair before my upcoming Disney trip. I'd love your battle tested recommendations!!! Thanks everyone :yay:

I used to buy sneakers based on color and price, as long as they were a decent brand. I recently needed to get some really good shoes for an event I was walking in, and went to a running store that looks at how you walk, has you stand on some kind of foot sensor equipment, and more to fit you into the best shoe for you. I ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14. I can't tell you what a world of difference it has made in how my feet feel after a long day of walking. I love my shoes, and feel like they were personally made for me!:love:

If you really want a great shoe for walking, I would suggest you find a store that fits the customer into the right shoe. The best shoe for me might be totally wrong for you. I had no idea how important this was, but am so glad I did it this way!

Hi All! This might seem like a silly question to post but I figured what the heck? I'm not a sneaker aficionado so I thought some of you seasoned Disney vets might point me in the right direction. I need to get a new, comfy pair before my upcoming Disney trip. I'd love your battle tested recommendations!!! Thanks everyone :yay:

Before we make recommendations, please tell us if you are male or female, how tall, how heavy, do you have a high arch, high instep, how long is your normal stride, and do you walk/run extensively now. Unless you know this about yourself, and about anybody that makes recommendations, any suggestions you get here aren't really going to help you.

Skechers Memory Foam sneakers are amazing! I've had surgery on both feet the last four years (bone spurs on my heels and Achilles problems). Am used to dealing with tons of foot pain at WDW. Bought these sneakers for my February 2014 trip:

http://www.skechers.com/style/11792/synergy-a-lister/nvbl

Absolutely no "break-in" period needed. Soft, squishy memory foam is amazingly comfortable. Not a single minute of foot pain on my seven-day trip!

If you really want a great shoe for walking, I would suggest you find a store that fits the customer into the right shoe. The best shoe for me might be totally wrong for you. I had no idea how important this was, but am so glad I did it this way!

Great advice! Thank you :)

Agreed with the poster who suggested getting fitted for the right shoe for you. Additionally, make sure you break them in a bit before you go.

Before we make recommendations, please tell us if you are male or female, how tall, how heavy, do you have a high arch, high instep, how long is your normal stride, and do you walk/run extensively now. Unless you know this about yourself, and about anybody that makes recommendations, any suggestions you get hear aren't really going to help you.

Yikes! Now you're just getting personal :p

Ok, here goes nothing: I'm female (kind of obvious by my username I think!) and I am 5'1". I'm NOT posting my weight but let's just say I'm on the lower end of Pooh sized! ;) I think I qualify as flat footed so I don't believe I have a high arch or instep...not 100% sure to be honest. And I honestly don't have a clue about my stride either. How would one measure that? (Feel free to laugh at me if that question is as dumb as I fear it may be!)

And, last but not least, I do not walk or run extensively right now. Hence the reason I'm on the low end of the Pooh sized spectrum!!! :laughing:

So there you go. I have officially over shared so I hope it pays off!!! :woohoo:

For Disney in particular, I'm a BIG fan of Teva sandals, male or female, no matter the size. I made the mistake of not taking them to Disneyland in March (since I knew it was going to be a little chilly) and I wore sneakers instead (my favorite ones) and I regretted it. Even though DLR is so much smaller, and it was only for two days, my feet hurt WAY worse than in my awesome Tevas.

Hey, I won't get into all the specifics here but I can throw forth a recommendation for K-Swiss tubes. I actually got the tip from another user on this site, and picked up a pair.

They're incredibly light, well ventilated and give you great support and cushion in your step. And as weird as it is, I bought these specifically to break in for my Disney trip. I figured people would actually make fun of them, but I'm not kidding when I say they get compliments all the time, strangely enough.

Anyway, I'm 6'5, 260 and they're fantastic on my end. If a beast like me can wear them, anyone can. At this point,they're cheap too. Man, you'd think I work for them, ha! Hope you find something that works for you!

Avoid Skechers GO RUNS. I was diagnosed last month in my knees with Chardomalacia Pattelae and Bursitis as a result of wearing these shoes. These issues in my knees I can directly connect with the Skecher Go Runs. I'm now in the long, slow process of getting my knees to where they were prior to purchasing these shoes. Anything with good support and really comfortable are the most important thing. Break them in well before you go, and you'll be fine.

I'm a devoted Vans tennis shoe wearer--the classic kind. These are the only shoes I can wear every day at WDW. I talked my cousin into getting a pair before our last Disney trip and now she wears them all the time at home too. They feel like slippers.

My advice would be to bring more than one pair of shoes. Sneakers, Go walks and then maybe some flip flops/sandals.
It seems like I can never go a whole trip with just one pair or type of shoes.
The crocs they sell in the parks may be "ugly" but they are actually pretty comfy for a day....but once again not for many days in a row.
Switching it up seems to be the best bet for me.

I'm a nurse, and I work in sneakers. I love Asics!!! I'm 5'4" and 160 ish lbs. These have proven to be the best on my feet by far!!! I like to wear my Tevas at Disney, too. I alternate between them and sneakers depending on how likely I'll be getting wet. I hate walking in wet sneakers!!! Of course, that can't always be prevented at Disney! Have a great trip!!:)

I used to buy sneakers based on color and price, as long as they were a decent brand. I recently needed to get some really good shoes for an event I was walking in, and went to a running store that looks at how you walk, has you stand on some kind of foot sensor equipment, and more to fit you into the best shoe for you. I ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14. I can't tell you what a world of difference it has made in how my feet feel after a long day of walking. I love my shoes, and feel like they were personally made for me!:love:

Do you recall the name of the store you went to? Was it a national chain or a local place? Thank you for this great tip. I'd really like to have a professional fitting done! :)

Do you recall the name of the store you went to? Was it a national chain or a local place? Thank you for this great tip. I'd really like to have a professional fitting done! :)

I had my feet and gait analyzed at a store that only sells running shoes and supplies. There's the sensor that assesses your arches and then I ran on a treadmill while my gait was recorded. The tape is analyzed to determine pronation of your feet as you run/walk.

You can google running shoes for your area and see what comes up. Sole To Soul is the name of the store where I went; I don't think they are nationwide.

Most local running stores will analyze your gait and stride. Not all have gadgets to do this, but have trained personnel to help properly fit you - they will all allow you to test the shoes. My husband is a lifelong runner and track coach so I've been through this quite a bit! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

What ever sneakers or footwear you buy - please wear them at least for 6 weeks before your trip to WDW to break them in.

I always buy a new pair of sneakers 6 months before we
go to WDW.

I bring my old junkie pair of sneakers and my 6 month old pair of sneakers.
On rainy days, I wear the old pair of sneakers and my feet stay comfy.

I love Saucony sneakers. I have been wearing them to Disney since 2008. So comfortable and you can often find them at Marshall's for half the retail price.

If you have a local running shop they can help fit a shoe to your gait/activity level, etc. I'm a fan of Brooks, but the style will be up to your anatomy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter