• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best shoes for someone with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

PennyLane1084

My Pronouns are: They/Them/Theirs
Does any one have any suggestions for good shoes to tour the parks in? I have RA and my joints get painful/achy/fatigued after walking around for long periods of time. Humidity makes my symptoms worse. And what do you get in FL: Humidity. I'm doing research but figured DIS'ers always have good suggestions. Thanks.

I have Moderate RA and Fibro and I find that crocs work well for me. I have had surgery on my feet for arthritis and my foot doc said that if they worked for me than I should us them. The nice thing is your feet can swell and you won't feel claustrophobic in them. I personally hate gym shoes in WDW. Try them around your local mall. I think you will be happy in them.

I have RA also and crocs KILL my feet. I have to use a scooter because my RA is so bad though.

had RA since I was 5( a long long LONG time ago.)

I LOATHE crocs. I felt unsafe/unsteady in them. Granted I am in a chair for the parks but I use my Walking Company slip ons(look like Keds )

Always buy wide width.

have also had good luck with Naturalizer ballet style slip ons.

Oh my goodness, now you all have really worried me. I am newly diagnosed so the Enbrel is working well for me. Of course I keep getting sick and then I can't sue it. Will I be in a chair someday at WDW? Is anyone like me? Taking the pains pills, using the GAC, hobbling through the parks with toddlers in tow.... My doctors was surprised at my high pain tolerance so I am hoping with the new meds now a days, I will be ok.

I don't have RA but I do have fybromiaglia and it affects my feet. I had "Custom Made" orthotics (not custome fit - which uses and one size fits most approach) Custom made orthotics require that they take a mold of your feet and then build the orthotic so that it keeps your foot in a neutral position. I then buy shoes with a deep footbed to accommodate the orthotic. Currently I use Drew Shoes. This is an expensive step but one that has let me do the parks and travel w/o the need for a wheelchair anymore.

Oh my goodness, now you all have really worried me. I am newly diagnosed so the Enbrel is working well for me. Of course I keep getting sick and then I can't sue it. Will I be in a chair someday at WDW? Is anyone like me? Taking the pains pills, using the GAC, hobbling through the parks with toddlers in tow.... My doctors was surprised at my high pain tolerance so I am hoping with the new meds now a days, I will be ok.

I've had RA for about 5 years and I've been on Enbrel for 4. It's really helped me alot. I don't worry about being in a chair, I just take things one day at a time.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I really like crocs and I think I'm going to get a brand new pair for my trip.

I am on Humira. I have also been living with this for over 30 years. every joint is effected.. I need the chair otherwise I wouldn't last past the Soarin' Queue. BUT currently I am mobile outside the parks in the resort. (that will prolly change.. I was told last year that the long dreaded Hip replacement is no longer a possible future but a bona fide requirement)

since I have the chair I don't need a GAC and depending in the moment I may or may not take the CM up on their offer to skip a set of stairs. with Kids.. you will want to SERIOUSLY consider either an ECV or a chair.. just remember that the kids CANNOT be on that ECV with you and you will need somebody to corral the kids and or push you along( I am unable to push myself.. but it's just me and DH) as rentals are not meant to be used by the person sitting, they have side arm rests which makes it darn difficult to rotate tires.

of course you could rent one that is meant to be used that way.. but wear gloves. those fingerless excercise ones are great.

I also have advanced R A and According to my Dr's, Fibro, almost goes hand and hand as they are both an auto immune disease. I also have Osteomyolytis I use a chair when in the parks (AP holder ) Use the cane around the resorts. I have found that (OK don't laugh) Birkenstock sandals work well for me. I have the Birki's line both set's of clasps have rhinestones on the buckles and are just a little bit of bling.

Unfortunately because of a "stent" in my heart I am excluded from most of the biologic's. I also tend to get infections easily.

So please don't worry about using a chair or EVC. Even though we may look normal and I usually get stares from some people. I don't care ! If I can preserve my energy so be it !

I do like Birkies with one exception.. most of the styles do not fit my deformed feet- a toe on each foot is.. shall we say.. funky and makes it impossible to wear most sandals or shoes with straps or if they do not cover past my toe line.

I have huge feet and arthritis so shoes a big issue for me. I started wearing z-coils last year and they have made a huge difference. They are expensive and ugly, but its now all I wear. See if there is a store that sells them and try them.

I have huge feet and arthritis so shoes a big issue for me. I started wearing z-coils last year and they have made a huge difference. They are expensive and ugly, but its now all I wear. See if there is a store that sells them and try them.
I have heard some very good reports about z-coils from several people (funny, all of them say they are expensive and ugly, but they love them).

Keep in mind that shoes that feel comfy in the store, might not offer enough support to last all day.

There are two stores in my area that specialize in shoes to accommodate many medical conditions.The best ones will spend a lot of time with you to figure out what YOU need. (The GoodFeet Store in my area does NOT have knowledgeable employees imo.) You can find out about them by calling a couple podiatrists offices. BTW, if you haven't seen a podiatrist, consider it now.

There are some key issues that might make your needs different from others. Do you need arch supports, do you overpronate, do you need firm ankle supports, or is open air and width the most important to you? Crocs, flat shoes, or any really soft shoes are impossible for me, but they might work for others.

I need strong arch supports. In the summer and at home (when I can't stand to wear sneakers with my custom-made orthotics) I wear Finn Comfort sandals or clogs. They are extremely comfortable to me, though they seemed too hard at first. They saved my feet (and knees and back). The arches might not work for everyone. Same with Birkenstocks. The arch support isn't in the right spot for me, but it could be perfect for others.

I just wear a good pair of running shoes. I wear Reeboks and I usually start breaking in a new pair 3-4 months before a trip. It takes me a while because I have nodules on one of the bones in both feet and new shoes really bother them. I can wear them about an hour a day. But once they are broken in they are heaven!

Im not sure if this will help. I really like MBT shoes and sandles. I have a bad back and they help me on long days of walking and on my feet.

Does any one have any suggestions for good shoes to tour the parks in? I have RA and my joints get painful/achy/fatigued after walking around for long periods of time. Humidity makes my symptoms worse. And what do you get in FL: Humidity. I'm doing research but figured DIS'ers always have good suggestions. Thanks.

I find that Ryka and Dansko are great.
They have some mary janes from Ryka with velcro
that really work.

Ryka are made for a womans foot and they tend to be wide in the front on top and narrow at the heel just like most women.

Then you put a shock absorbing insert inside and they are SUPER cushy.:cheer2:

the shoes that are beabable for me to wear are softspots and SAS shoes. i still can't walk more than about 4ft but these shoes are the ones that i can wear that cause me the least amount of pain due to them being so soft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter