Best Secrets in Disneyland

I know this is technically not a secret but... the Cone Shop on Main St is the best place to get ice cream! I always walk past Gibson Girl with the super long line and then head to the Cone Shop. I've never seen more than 5 people in line. And they have the amazing Firehouse Sundae!:yay:

Totally agree :thumbsup2

These may be known to everyone but hope they help someone:
There is a restroom inside the Tiki Room--good for preschoolers who "don't have to go" until almost showtime!
When Koda takes off from the Brother Bear Totem Ceremony in DCA he's not really leaving, just walking up the stairs to a better photo area, so follow him if you didn't get your pic yet!
Stand for a minute by each display in the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough (just found out it was open!) in the goblin area and creatures will pop up. Also, if you try to touch one of the doors it will slam shut.
Lots of fun stuff along the same lines as the Castle walkthrough in the big cave on Pirate Island. Try them yourself first if your kid freaks easily!
The stroller cards for DCA have Sulley on them instead of the plain card you get at Disneyland--a fun little freebie for the scrapbook :)

What is the apple thing all about? We haven't been on Snow White, and I'd love to have a "mission" when taking the kids on it for the first time.

Back when Snow White first opened, the wicked witch would "hand" over an apple in one of the ride scenes. The apple was easily within grasp of people sitting on the left side of the mine car, and was frequently stolen and had to be replaced often.

In 1983, when the ride was redesigned, the apple was repalced by a hologram. So guests can try to grab the apple from the witch, but there won't be anything to grab.

I wouldn't be able to tell you, because I went there when I was 3 back in 1983. Now I am 29 with a little princess and a husband.
I know a few things. At night, when you go to the haunted mansion,
you see donald chasing mickey on the roof.
I don't want to spoil anything else, so I will let you find out. :cutie:

Back when Snow White first opened, the wicked witch would "hand" over an apple in one of the ride scenes. The apple was easily within grasp of people sitting on the left side of the mine car, and was frequently stolen and had to be replaced often.

In 1983, when the ride was redesigned, the apple was repalced by a hologram. So guests can try to grab the apple from the witch, but there won't be anything to grab.

I remember when the apple was still in the Hag's hand (and when it was missing) before they changed it to the hologram & it was way after 1983. I wasn't even born then!

Back by the lockers off of Main Street, there is a fountain with different types of bricks around it. I had heard this is where they were testing out different styles but don't know if that is true or not. The right side of pic shows "old" bricks, while the other half has straight. :confused3

DL-brick.jpg

Main Street is set in 1910. Tomorrowland is set in 1986. They were set this way because those are the years of Haley's Comet.

When POTC opened, they originally used real human skeletons and even one for the dog. Later, they reimagined and made all of the faces after the Imagineers.

Those are my interesting secrets of the day =)

When POTC opened, they originally used real human skeletons and even one for the dog. Later, they reimagined and made all of the faces after the Imagineers.

Using human skulls was actually a very common practice in those days in amusement park rides and even movies. The reason was realism, they were not able to recreate the look of skeletons in the manner they are able to now.

I have never heard the part of the being created in Imagineers likeness though so I can not comment on that. But I can tell you not all the human remains have left POTC. There is in fact one human skull left in the ride (with it's leg bones I believe). This skull sits above the bed in the Captain's Bedroom.

BTW if you are curious most of these skeletons would have come from medical school's after, students had finished learning from the bodies, I have heard it said that some schools would sell off the bones which had little use to the school.

On the subject of things a little darker ;) Did you know that the Haunted Mansion actually has two pet cemetaries? The pets that you commonly see when you are waiting in line, and a "hidden" cemetary on the other side of the mansion. You might be able to view it if you are entering the Handicap "re-entrance" just ask a CM and they might let you view the statues there.

BTW if you are curious most of these skeletons would have come from medical school's after, students had finished learning from the bodies, I have heard it said that some schools would sell off the bones which had little use to the school.

You're very right fairycat. According to my forensic anthropology professor, when she was going to school(in the 70s), it was incredibly easy to obtain a human skeleton. After the medical schools were done using them for dissection, the skeletons would be sold to anyone who could afford the price (which was really low). Most of the bodies would be John or Jane Doe's from the county morgue who unfortunately had no one to claim them. :sad2:

On the subject of things a little darker ;) Did you know that the Haunted Mansion actually has two pet cemetaries? The pets that you commonly see when you are waiting in line, and a "hidden" cemetary on the other side of the mansion. You might be able to view it if you are entering the Handicap "re-entrance" just ask a CM and they might let you view the statues there.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm going to have to check it out next week. Thanks for the tip! :thanks:

I wouldn't be able to tell you, because I went there when I was 3 back in 1983. Now I am 29 with a little princess and a husband.
I know a few things. At night, when you go to the haunted mansion,
you see donald chasing mickey on the roof.
I don't want to spoil anything else, so I will let you find out. :cutie:

Can you really?:eek:
That's pretty cool!

Tomorrowland is set in 1986. They were set this way because those are the years of Haley's Comet.

The original Tomorrowland was set in 1986. The Tomorrowland we have now that re-opened in 1998 was based on a retro-futuristic concept & loosely on DLP's Discoveryland.

Later, they reimagined and made all of the faces after the Imagineers.
I have never heard the part of the being created in Imagineers likeness though so I can not comment on that.

Yes, the pirates were modeled after the Imagineers. If you look at many of them throughout the ride, you can see that they look the same!
But I have no idea where they got the model for the Asian guy...

Oh, and how could I forget -

8) When you get off the of the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride in Tomorrowland (which I hear is slightly better than the one in WDW), stop at the kiosks in the exit queue, find your photo that is taken of you on the ride, and email it to yourself FOR FREE.

9) Also, when you ae entering Fantasyland from the Main Street hub, and you pass under the castle, look down to find a gold stake in the ground that was driven into the ground by Walt Disney himself!

A Disney special on the Travel Channel said that that stake marks the exact center of the park.

aerial_july1955.jpg

The myth of the golden stake is a pet peeve of mine. It IS NOT nor NEVER WAS the center of Disneyland. This is a myth perpetuated by the internet so much so that travel guides, travel shows and even cast members share this knowledge. It is simply an engineering survey marker. There are several throughout the park, but most are not golden or brass so you never notice them.

This is an aerial view of Disneyland in 1955. The golden spike is located right after you pass through the drawbridge of the castle. In the picture you can see the 'hub' (the circular area with 4 paths leading off of it). The path going straight up leads to the castle then you can see the Carousel next. The spike would be up there before the Carousel, clearly not the center of anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter