• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best seats on plane with carseat, DH and me

LittleBugsMama

Live like there's no tomorrow; Love extravaggantly
I know this has been asked and answered many times over. But I want a refresher...Can anyone tell me in their opinion, where the best/worst seat are on a plane (Southwest to be exact) and to keep in mind we will have a carseat for a 2 year old with us on board. I know he has to sit by the window, but that's really all I know for sure. Thanks!

While we have only traveled on Southwest with a car seat on one trip, we really liked the front row. There was enough room between the seat and the bulkhead to get in front of DD if we needed to and without bumping any seats in front of us.

The armrests in the bulkhead row do not lift. For that reason it can be a problem installing a carseat there. Also, you have no underseat storage in that row; everything must go in the overhead, which is a a problem if you get turbulence b/c you won't be able to get into your carryon bag for snacks/entertainment for baby.

We always board early and head for the back. With a carseat we are always off last, anyway, so that way we are out of others' way. The trick is carrying on the seat without hitting anyone. The best way to do that is to carry it high, upside down and sideways. (Think of the profile of the number 7.)

Note that you cannot sit in the rows immediately in front of or behind the exit row; those are restricted against carseats, too.

I find that the most important issue is which side of the plane I am on. Remember that you will be groping around behind the seat against the side bulkhead wall in order to install the seat. I'm right-handed, and I find that it seems to be easier for me to install the seat on the starboard side, because facing it, my right hand is in a better position to reach under it. It's harder on the port side where I have to reach under with my left hand. (Note that it is almost always easier for a woman to install a carseat on an airplane, because we are usually shorter and have smaller hands/arms. A tall person will have more trouble bending as far as needed in the cramped space.)

I also highly recommend having one parent go on and install the seat while allowing the other parent to wait in the gate area w/ the child to burn off last minute steam!

AND...know where on the seat the sticker is w/ the red text that states the seat is certified for use on aircraft. The FAs are likely to ask to see it and it helps to know where it was before you get there.

Also...if you are installing the seat forward facing, sometimes it helps to turn the buckle of the airplane's seat belt so the buckle will release backwards to towards the airplane's seat back. Sometimes it can be difficult to release the buckle if it releases towards the car seat's back.

Does any of that make sense? ;)

Check out this site for more info...it includes information about twisting the buckle.

Wow - I got more than I could've hoped for here - Th:hug: ank you so much!

We head to rows 18-19 immediately behind the wing (knock on wood, we've always had As). My kids get a view and we are far enough back that the juggling required to install two car seats (until recently, we're down to one now - yay!) doesn't cause disruption. Plus, you are usually enough rows removed from the lavatory that you don't get the stench.

You can see how SW's planes are configured at seatguru.com.

I think first class would be the best because of the extra room.

SW doesn't have first class.

Also, some airlines have planes on which carseats are not allowed in first class - generally those with "suites" where the parent wouldn't be able to get to their child easily in an emergency (and possibly it is impossible to secure the carseats).

Plus, you are usually enough rows removed from the lavatory that you don't get the stench.

You can see how SW's planes are configured at seatguru.com.

I fly SWA, always in row 23. I have never noticed an odor from the lavatory, let alone anything remotely resembling stench.

I fly SWA, always in row 23. I have never noticed an odor from the lavatory, let alone anything remotely resembling stench.

I've never noticed any smell either. :) Well, from the bathrooms. From other passengers sitting in their seats, YES. :)

To the OP, if you can get it, get the first row. But other than that, any other row where carseats are allowed is fine.

The ONE problem with the first row is that you have to put things above you, since there's nowhere in front of you to store things. So you have to be prepared for things your kiddo (and you) might need (no flight attendant on any flight I've taken has ever had a problem with me holding papers, pens, stickers etc in my hands during takeoff) b/c you can't just lean down and grab something, and you can't get something from the overhead bin until the seatbelt light is off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter