Best Route from New Hampshire in 41' 5th Wheel

Jhuff8181

Mousenut
We will be traveling from New Hampshire to the fort in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best route. Would like to avoid NYC and DC if possible. Also is there any issues with having propane or should I empty the tanks first?

We will be traveling from New Hampshire to the fort in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best route. Would like to avoid NYC and DC if possible. Also is there any issues with having propane or should I empty the tanks first?

We take 91 to 84 to 684 to 95. You end up going around most of the cities. We try to hit the big one during the night if at all possible.

We take 91 to 84 to 684 to 95. You end up going around most of the cities. We try to hit the big one during the night if at all possible.

Good choice but I thought 684 puts you on route 287 then crosses the Tappenzee bridge, if so I would follow 287 to the NJ Turnpike then into De. from there. I would also look into Route 301 thru the lower section of De and into Md. to avoid Balt. & DC and you can stay on it into Va. and follow signs back to 95, it will put you back at exit 104, one exit above Kings Dominion.

From the Hartford area we take 84 to 81 then pick up 17 to cut over to 95 where we drop in north of Richmond. That takes us around NYC and DC, and 17 is hilly but lovely. Nice to get off the interstates for a while. This route adds some miles but the net time is about the same or better, and definitely keeps us more sane.

Once you get in DE on 95, highly recommend you take RT 1 south to 301. Our last trip, we took 301 down to 295 which took us around Richmond. You'll have some traffic lights on 301 to deal with and a bit of traffic in Waldorf, but once past that, it's an easy drive down to 295. No toll at the Bay Bridge, but one to cross the Potomac River. Return trip, no toll on the Potomac, toll on the Bay Bridge northbound. Much better than sitting in the inevitable traffic jam on 95!
Here's a route overview:

http://goo.gl/maps/Lb6Rl

Depending on the hour you are going to hit I270 the US15 route is not bad. There are some lights in Dillsburg, but its 65mph limit south of Gettysburg and 50/55 though MD to the I270 exit, but taking I270 you avoid the 2 lane section of US15 which can be congested during the day. However, depending on the time of the day, I270 towards DC, or I95S from basically the beltway to US17 can be a traffic nightmare.

KristinU's route is great, its mostly highway, there is a flying J as you cross into the VA line where fuel is cheaper then PA, MD or WV with RV islands. There are few lights on 17 here and there but mostly clear sailing.

And your last question, having propane is not an issue. There are only a few restriction areas and those are areas you are trying to avoid anyway for traffic reasons. In MD you just cannot use the tunnels with propane meaning you have to go around the baltimore beltway. But from CT to MD the tolls are worth alternate routes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter