best room for family of 5

mikewdw

wdw coach
what is best room for family of five? cheaper is better for us. never done cruise before so have no idea on what to ask for. checked on one price with a cat. 8B on Dream deck 9 but not sure if we should request a better room. any info appreciated.
mikewdw

When I booked my cruise for my family of 5, it was actually only $20 (roughly) more for us to book 2 connecting rooms on Deck 2 than it was for us to get ONE room on a higher deck that would sleep all 5 of us. I knew nothing about this option until the DCL agent told me about it on the phone. It was worth every penny of that $20 to have an extra bathroom, tv, beds, etc.

what is best room for family of five? cheaper is better for us. never done cruise before so have no idea on what to ask for. checked on one price with a cat. 8B on Dream deck 9 but not sure if we should request a better room. any info appreciated.
mikewdw

You may be better off booking 2 rooms. For example, 2 oceanview rooms that sleep 3-4 may be less expensive than 1 verandah room that sleeps 5. Plus, you will have much more space. If you can get connecting rooms, it would be like having 1 large room.

Mike

On the Dream/Fantasy, a category 8 is cheaper than 2 inside staterooms, but you need to book them early, because there are less than 20 or so that fit five.

On the Magic/Wonder it is cheaper to get two inside staterooms than to get one balcony (they do not have anything below a cat 4 that sleeps 5 or whatever their lowest balcony is...they keep changing category numbers so it gets confusing).

We have five and prefer the one room...for me less to clean up! Plus, we enjoy being together as a family and talking during the night as we're going to sleep...if you're in different rooms you lose some of the family time that we like to have. We've done it both ways and prefer one room.

It also is a plus for us to have a window, I would prefer the seat window on the cat 8 over a balcony...hth!

We wanted a veranda for our family of 5, so we went with an inside stateroom together with one that had a veranda. Not really a cost savings over a veranda stateroom that sleeps 5 but you get much more room and two rooms for more privacy.

In March 2010, we were in Dream rooms 7689 (Cat 11B) and 7690 (6B at the time)...which, if you look at the deckplan, are actually side-by-side. For March 2013, we have booked on the Fantasy the mirror image pair of the side-by-side inside / veranda rooms on the other side of the ship 7191 (Cat 11b) and 7192 (re-categorized by DCL from 6B to 5E).

This worked great for us but, of course, whether this is practical in any given situation will depend on the ages of the children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter