• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Rewards Credit Cards...

Wow, sounds like you did great!

Do you know are there any forums for beginners learning how to do this? I follow million miles secrets (I guess I can say that here) and I have learned a lot, but our family along with my sister's family and my mom are wanting to do a hawaiian cruise next summer and I would love to figure out a way that we could fly there with points. I've used Southwest's signup bonuses 2 times for myself and once for my DH and I find them very easy to use and we've had a lot of free flights from the cards, but unfortunately they don't fly to Hawaii.

I've looked into American Airlines cards because they also have good signup bonuses that could probably help, but I've never felt confident that we'd all be able to book on the same flights, etc and would love to post a question about it where I could get some interactive feedback like we do here.
It's hard to get outsized value using miles to fly to Hawaii in coach, but if you are on the west coast, using British Airways Avios to fly on American or Alaska might be an option. The grandfather of all frequent flyer forums is flyertalk. The American Airlines post merger with US message board has a thread pinned to the top for newbies, which promises not to laugh or intimidate.
I find using miles to fly for a cruise can be complicated because you don't have a lot of wiggle room or the ability to book flights last minute. But it can be done, as we have booked flights for next summer in business class for DCL cruise in Northern Europe.
Best of luck. -- Suzanne

I like a rewards card that can transfer also.
The OP said she rarely travels though. Going with a card like the Amex mentioned upthread might be a better option for her.

Yes, I know. I was posting for others who might be reading the thread since the OP received great advice and said she went with the Citi Thank You. :-)

Wow, sounds like you did great!

Do you know are there any forums for beginners learning how to do this? I follow million miles secrets (I guess I can say that here) and I have learned a lot, but our family along with my sister's family and my mom are wanting to do a hawaiian cruise next summer and I would love to figure out a way that we could fly there with points. I've used Southwest's signup bonuses 2 times for myself and once for my DH and I find them very easy to use and we've had a lot of free flights from the cards, but unfortunately they don't fly to Hawaii.

I've looked into American Airlines cards because they also have good signup bonuses that could probably help, but I've never felt confident that we'd all be able to book on the same flights, etc and would love to post a question about it where I could get some interactive feedback like we do here.

Thanks I thought so :teeth: I am now working on travel hacking a trip to Bora Bora. Just signed up for a Hilton Amex Surpass at 85K points which I believe is the highest they have offered and the offer ends on July 31. This project will likely take 7 cards each for DH and I to hack. Those over water bungalows are a gazillion points! Fortunately that destination is about 5 years out for us.

I follow MMS too. I also follow View From the Wing, One Mile at a Time, The Points Guy, The Frequent Miler and Mommy Points even though we don't have kids. Flyer Talk is a forum similar to this one. However, for those that think people on the DIS can be nasty, they'd be in for a reality check :duck: There are forums dedicated to newbies and lots of great information. Deciphering acronyms here is a piece of cake, there it is like learning a new language :crazy2:

American Airlines has a hub where I live so I focus mostly on those miles. AA also has a shopping portal which makes it easier to beef up your miles for purchases online. You can use them on British Airways which has dreadful taxes and fees to London but usually great first class availability. If you follow the Citi application rules you can get the card and the bonus multiple times. You're best bet to booking award flights is booking waaaaay in advance. I've been able to book 4 first class from Miami to London tix on BA with AA miles. Normally though we book for just the two of us. There are some carriers though that don't release award seats until later.

Yes, I know. I was posting for others who might be reading the thread since the OP received great advice and said she went with the Citi Thank You. :-)

Thanks I thought so :teeth: I am now working on travel hacking a trip to Bora Bora. Just signed up for a Hilton Amex Surpass at 85K points which I believe is the highest they have offered and the offer ends on July 31. This project will likely take 7 cards each for DH and I to hack. Those over water bungalows are a gazillion points! Fortunately that destination is about 5 years out for us.

I follow MMS too. I also follow View From the Wing, One Mile at a Time, The Points Guy, The Frequent Miler and Mommy Points even though we don't have kids. Flyer Talk is a forum similar to this one. However, for those that think people on the DIS can be nasty, they'd be in for a reality check :duck: There are forums dedicated to newbies and lots of great information. Deciphering acronyms here is a piece of cake, there it is like learning a new language :crazy2:

American Airlines has a hub where I live so I focus mostly on those miles. AA also has a shopping portal which makes it easier to beef up your miles for purchases online. You can use them on British Airways which has dreadful taxes and fees to London but usually great first class availability. If you follow the Citi application rules you can get the card and the bonus multiple times. You're best bet to booking award flights is booking waaaaay in advance. I've been able to book 4 first class from Miami to London tix on BA with AA miles. Normally though we book for just the two of us. There are some carriers though that don't release award seats until later.

Thank you both very much. I'm so jealous of your bora bora trip planning! I'd love to go there someday!

I'm off to study some more and see what I can come up with. My mom is wanting to pay for all of our trips, but I like finding ways to save for fun. Just means we can spend the money on something else while we're there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter