Best restaurants for food allergies

mom23tiggers

Earning My Ears
We've brought our kids with food allergies to WDW a number of times over the years, but it wasn't until our last visit that I realized how much the chef mattered - and how lucky we'd been until then! We went to Liberty Tree Tavern for a birthday dinner. The menu was exactly the same as it had been two years prior when my kids had been served a fabulous meal, but this time my allergic kids were given very little to eat and the quality was awful. To make things even worse, it was their birthday. The difference was clearly the chef.

We're going again this summer, and for the first time we'll be eating almost all our meals in restaurants at WDW. I need to make a lot more reservations. I know from reading this board that people have favorite chefs. Does anyone have restaurants they'd like to recommend as being good for food allergies?

Thanks!

Well, I LOVE the allergy mickey waffles. Some people don't, b/c they have kind of a buckwheaty taste, but I adore them. Chef Mickey's has always made me agreat plate of food with waffles, potatoes, and something else (not eggs though...yuck).

I had an amazing meal at Kona for dinner where the chef went out of the way to make sure the veggie sushi I ordered was made on clean surfaces away from any dairy.

I also loved Boma, but nothing was made special for me. There were lots of options for me (no dairy, no meat, no poultry for me)

DO NOT go to the counter service Yak and Yeti at AK. The chef was rude and condescending and told me not to ever come back expecting me to make her something again. It was horrible. I rarely do CS b/c it is just too hard to find meat/poultry/dairy free cs options. I pack in hummus and rice crackers and just accept that is my lunch all week. I am no fan of the newer veggie burgers and the regular buns have dairy so it's just not great.

Crystal Palace mhad an exceptional dinner buffet that i could eat from (lots of delicious salads) and they make an amazing gf/df brownie. I think it does have eggs but it was amazing. Had I known I would have saved more room. They don't make mickey waffles allergy free at breakfast though, they serve Vans. I like Vans, but not on vacation. I eat them all the time at home.

The chef at San Angel made me an amazing lunch platter, and the rice was safe for me and delicious.

The chef at California Grill also made me a wonderful stir fry, but he was willing to make anything I needed. There are rumors of dairy free cheese on property, but I also try to avoid soy when I can b/c it is no friend of mine. But I am not "allergic" to it.

A while back I went to Beaches and Cream and they made me a tofutti sundae (before I knew soy was no friend of mine). They put peanut butter sauce and marshmallow and safe chocolate syrup on it. That was the best day of my trip.

I have had good luck a Le Cellier, but the salmon is usually pretty bland.

I found the food courts at ASMU, POFC and POR very accomodating. It just takes forever so plan on that.

Overall, we usually pack lunch in and then have dinner at a TS. Sometimes we wing it and I just find what I can (veggie sushi in Japan is great).

I have avoided Liberty Tree b/c I can't have anything they seem to serve. It didn't seem like a "whip up another meal" kind of place.

Liberty Tree seems to have gone downhill recently. We had a wonderful meal at Liberty Tree 3 yrs. ago, but when we went back this year, it was bordering on a disaster. The chef took forever to come to the table and he seemed distracted. Then the server brought the wrong food to one of my kids. He put it down so fast and made a run for it, I had to flag down another server to take it away and get the order corrected. It took 15 min. for my son to get his food, while everyone else had been served. When I commented on the mix-up how long it took to get the right meal, the server snapped at me that's how it is with special allergy meals. I told the manager when he visited our table to ask how everything was. He apologized. We've decided not to return until we hear things have improved.

Coral Reef has been consistently terrific about my kids allergies. We've had different chefs each visit and they've all been great. At Teppan Edo, the manager, waitress and were all helpful and super-cautious. Although the food wasn't the best, the chef at Tony's Town Square was truly wonderful. He took a lot of time explaining options for the kids. When DH ordered an appetizer that contained the kids' allergens, the chef brought it out himself and told the kids to stay away from it. The kids want to go back, because the chef was so nice and they felt really safe. Brown Derby and Sci-Fi at DHS were also good. The Sci-Fi chef explained the whole checks and balances system he uses in the kitchen, so the kids felt comfortable with what they were served. Of all the character meals we've had, Chef Mickey did the best job with the allergies. The chef brought out enormous allergy-safe dessert plates that had kids in adjoining tables whining that they wanted what my kids were having.

We've found most CS places to be a hassle, but Pizzafari at AK was very good. When we alerted the ordering CM about the allergies, she immediately got the manager who brought out his big book of allergens and told us what the kids could eat. He then gave the order and allergy info to the kitchen. That hasn't happened at any other CS. Usually, we're just handed the book and figure it out ourselves. Plus they don't alert anyone.

Overall, we usually pack lunch in and then have dinner at a TS. Sometimes we wing it and I just find what I can (veggie sushi in Japan is great).

Thanks for all the notes. We've usually done packing in lunch too and dinner at a TS. I think I'll go prepared for that this year, then cross fingers. It's during free dining, so it was cheaper to use it even if we never used the CS meals for those of us with food issues (myself and two of my kids). I was floored when I did the math!

BabyCakesNYC is an allergy friendly bakery that is now located where McDonalds was in Downtown Disney.

Here is the menu:

Thanks for the link to the menu. I've been debating because of the possible nut issue, but the information about shared lines is so comprehensive that it will probably be fine for my guys. It will be novel to be able to go to Downtown Disney and buy something.

Liberty Tree seems to have gone downhill recently. We had a wonderful meal at Liberty Tree 3 yrs. ago, but when we went back this year, it was bordering on a disaster. The chef took forever to come to the table and he seemed distracted. Then the server brought the wrong food to one of my kids. He put it down so fast and made a run for it, I had to flag down another server to take it away and get the order corrected. It took 15 min. for my son to get his food, while everyone else had been served. When I commented on the mix-up how long it took to get the right meal, the server snapped at me that's how it is with special allergy meals. I told the manager when he visited our table to ask how everything was. He apologized. We've decided not to return until we hear things have improved.

That is so close to what happened to us, except our server was competent and had a bit of a polite meltdown when she realized that she'd been sent out with the wrong food for our kids. The chef came out extremely cranky and the food that followed was nowhere near Disney standards.

I'm sorry to hear that something similar happened to you, but now I have no second thoughts about avoiding it again!

We stick with Disney owned restaurants. We then just look over the menus on line to see what restaurants carry foods that look like something my kids would like and would be easily modifiable to be allergy safe (my kids are real carnivores so it's not hard).

We've had great experiences with CS food but I research out the wazoo ahead of time and carry a chart showing what safe foods can be found for each of my kids at what locations by park. We do eat the majority of our CS meals at our resort where they have the ability to accomodate so much more than in the parks.

These LTT experiences are not encouraging to me. We've got our first LTT ADR coming up in February. It's a lunch ADR and there are foods on the menu that my kids like that would be easily modified so I figure we're probably fine.

One Disney owned restaurant we won't return to is the Wave. DD12 was throwing up all night after that dinner. The chef wasn't taking proper notes when we were discussing the allergies and when we reported that she got sick from the restaurant the chef basically just said it couldn't have been from there and dismissed us (our resort took care of DD12 but I was disgusted by the attitude from the Wave). Maybe they've fixed things since but we won't be back.

I ate at LTT last time, and I felt like they were a bit "off" on their attitudes, but I was OK with the food I got. I was also pleased I got Earth Balance margarine--an elusive item on Disney property! However, I can see easily how this place could present a bad experience.

I have a few favorite places on my list--and of course things can always change from trip to trip (or even chef to chef as I discovered when I ate at the same places twice).

I have always enjoyed Ohana--I sure miss Chef TJ. If you get a chance to see him at 1900 Park fare (where he's at now) you are in for a treat. He is the most amazing chef--and he really cares about folks with allergies! I haven't heard too many reports from this restaurant with him yet, but I'm sure he is still impressing. I know people who followed him from Boma to Ohana and now to 1900 PF. Ohana is still very good, but not quite as good without TJ.

My new favorite restaurant is 50's Prime Time Cafe. They are fantastic there! Chef Williere is amazing. I emailed him ahead of time to make sure they could do the Gluten free/dairy free fried chicken (it takes about 40 minutes to make, so it's best to make an ADR and contact them ahead of time) and he was just fab. When I got there, the chef (can't recall his name) and the waitress were just fantastic. The chocolate dessert sundae, with chocolate tofutti and such was just so yummy. It was the first fried chicken I'd had since going GF/CF a year and 1/2 at the time. I scarfed it down! :woohoo: I liked it so much that I made an ADR for January!

I love Kona Cafe for breakfast--the allergy safe mickey waffles are to die for. Boma breakfast is also very good. They made me a special bobotie the last time, when I emailed them ahead of time.

If you don't have seafood allergies, Cape May Cafe has a lot of choices for gluten/dairy free, but the dessert was just a french meadow brownie, which was kind of boring.

As far as counter service, any that serve the allergy chicken tenders are amazing. I've had good luck at ABC Commissary and Contempo Cafe with those. I used to love Sunshine Seasons, but they just changed their menu and I really did not like the revamped options. Wolfgang Puck Express was really fantastic this last time--the chicken is amazing. I also adore the chicken tacos at La Hacienda de San Angel, but we hit it at a very busy time and had problems with the dessert option. Can';t wait to check out babycakes for gluten free/dairy free baked goods! It's about time they got one on property!!!! :worship:

Good luck on your ADRs--there are some pretty fantastic restaurants on property!

Sunshine Seasons revamped their menu? What?!?!?! We go there every time for their rotisserie chicken with rice. Is that still there? My kids LOVE that chicken.

Our LTT ADR is for 11:45 (they open at 11:30 that day) so I'm hoping that's early enough that the chef will have time to give us the attention we need. Wish us luck!!

I did get my ADR for 50s PTC, 'Ohana and 1900PF for February as well. I'm so excited. I can't wait for February!!

Sunshine Seasons revamped their menu? What?!?!?! We go there every time for their rotisserie chicken with rice. Is that still there? My kids LOVE that chicken.

Yep, they have these new sauces and such that go with the rotisserie meats. blech. :scared1:
The chicken comes with a succotash, which I'm told was OK (they put it on top) and the pork chop had a fruit compote with it, but the pork chop itself tasted sweet. Also the rice this time was different and VERY greasy (not sure how that happened!)

Very disappointing! Maybe the chicken doesn't taste so bad plain with just the rice, but the rice was icky when we went and the sides were also icky.

I miss getting nice roasted chicken with nice rice and then a lovely plain steamed broccoli on the side. (you only get one side now)

Let me know how it goes when you guys visit!

Looking forward to hearing what you think of 1900 PF and crossing my fingers you get TJ!!! :yay:

I have always enjoyed Ohana--I sure miss Chef TJ. If you get a chance to see him at 1900 Park fare (where he's at now) you are in for a treat.

As the mother of 3 boys, I haven't really considered this one - but maybe I'll rethink it!

I'm glad to hear the comments about 50's Prime Time Cafe. We were there and struck out almost four years ago. The only option my kids were given were chicken breaded in rice flour with seltzer. It's fascinating to see how things change.

Thanks,
Kathryn

These LTT experiences are not encouraging to me. We've got our first LTT ADR coming up in February. It's a lunch ADR and there are foods on the menu that my kids like that would be easily modified so I figure we're probably fine.

We were there for dinner with more limited options, so that should work in your favor.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who carries around detailed charts and maps for food!

Kathryn

We were there for dinner with more limited options, so that should work in your favor.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who carries around detailed charts and maps for food!

Kathryn

I purposely chose lunch because I wanted the actual menu items knowing that there as at least one thing on the lunch menu that each of my kids would like and would be easily modifiable. I go into meals expecting no more than something from the regular menu to be modified to make it safe (generally by leaving off something) so hopefully with those expectations we'll be fine.

You have no idea just how OCDD (Obsessive Compulsive Disney Disorder) I am with my planning. I have colour coded itinerary and touring charts in addition to food charts such as the following one which I update just before each trip. My spreadsheets are a thing of beauty. :rotfl2: I laminate this and carry it with me to all the parks.
allergyfoods-1.jpg

We had a good experience at LTT in October. They were very accommodating, the food was about what I expected from a theme park restaurant. They even made dairy free mashed potatoes. :-) Other ones we enjoyed were Narcoosee's, Citricos, Le Cellier, counter service at American Pavilion in Epcot, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's & Raglan Road.

If it makes you feel any better, we had a great experience at LTT in February. It was dinner and my DS was prepared comparable versions of everything served except for the mac n cheese. He had roast beef, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and a roll. Non-dairy ice cream for dessert. The chef, I think his name was Rob, was very nice and made sure we knew that we could ask for more of anything.

Ohana's was awesome for 2 reasons, Chef TJ who's no longer there and my DS was able to eat almost all of the regular food. He just skipped the dumplings I think. Our whole table skipped the peanut sauce. Even the noodles with broccoli were safe at the time.

We also had good experiences at Whispering Canyon Cafe (waiter seemed a little rushed, but the food was right up our alley and easily adaptable), Chef Mickey's breakfast, and Le Cellier. We are carnivores and I think it's really important to review menus for foods that you're family likes and are easily made safe. For us that means meat, meat, meat.

We had an awesome experience at Pizzafari too. They made my son his own pizza with a different safe sauce and Vegan Gourmet soy cheese. It was a pleasant change from all the meat.

I would definitely try to get into 1900 Park Fare and hit Babycakes (I've been to the NYC bakery).

FYI- My DS is allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts.

If it makes you feel any better, we had a great experience at LTT in February. It was dinner and my DS was prepared comparable versions of everything served except for the mac n cheese. He had roast beef, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and a roll. Non-dairy ice cream for dessert. The chef, I think his name was Rob, was very nice and made sure we knew that we could ask for more of anything.

The chef we had four years ago at LTT was named Rob and was astonishing. He even made my boys a phenomenal birthday cake. There's no way my kids are going to want to go back to LTT, but if it's the same Chef Rob then he's really great.

I hope my post didn't sound snarky or dismissive. By the time I got to end of the thread I don't think I remembered your specific experience and I was hoping to make others who had upcoming reservations feel a little hopeful.

When was your last trip? More recently than February 10? I wonder if Chef Rob has left or moved elsewhere. We considered LTT one of our definite repeats after our last trip. Not that it was the most gourmet food ever, but we stay in Bay Lake Towers and MK restaurants aren't that plentiful so I figured it'd be a regular. We haven't tried any of the other MK table service restaurants.

I had a WONDERFUL lunch at LTT in November. The chef was different from our trip the previous year. She was an Asian lady in her late 40's. I really liked that she took notes so I knew she wouldn't forget. I have a number of allergies and some are not the norm. I didn't want all the items that came with my meal (turkey meal) but she kept reassuring me they were safe if I wanted them. She checked back later to make sure it was good too. I had the new chocolate terrine for dessert (chocolate without a nut warning is rare at WDW) and it was amazingly good. CHH was great on that trip too. Sunshine Seasons did change the accompaniments but the roasted pork, salmon, and chicken are still made the exact same way so they were all safe still for me. I had pretty good experiences everywhere except 50s goofed and brought me an item I was allergic to and didn't order but they quickly got the right food out to me (they didn't have to make anything special). Had issues with PO-FQ quick service lunch was good but breakfast I had a reaction. I'm pretty sure the eggs were eggbeaters type rather than real eggs like they said. They didn't taste like real. Luckily it was a small amount of the allergen and I was just sick to my stomach nothing more dangerous.

I hope my post didn't sound snarky or dismissive. By the time I got to end of the thread I don't think I remembered your specific experience and I was hoping to make others who had upcoming reservations feel a little hopeful.

When was your last trip? More recently than February 10? I wonder if Chef Rob has left or moved elsewhere. We considered LTT one of our definite repeats after our last trip. Not that it was the most gourmet food ever, but we stay in Bay Lake Towers and MK restaurants aren't that plentiful so I figured it'd be a regular. We haven't tried any of the other MK table service restaurants.

No problem. Our trip was in August '09, and Chef Rob wasn't there. Maybe he was just gone that day or maybe he's come back? He was amazing - even made an incredible birthday cake for our kids and apologized that he'd used all the non-dairy margarine for the icing so he didn't have any for the rolls because he'd called around and not located any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter