Best Restaurant for Husband

Veteran Wife

Earning My Ears
My husband is a Gulf War Vet with severe PTSD. He has a really tough time with being too close to people. He wanted to surprise me with a trip to Disney for our anniversary as I love it so much. Knowing his issues, I planned a trip for us the end of August/beginning of September. The crowds seem to be less then, and that's the only time I could get off work. I got hopper passes so we can go first thing to the parks and then leave when they get too crowded and then hit another park later when the crowds settle down a bit. My problem is with the restaurants. It seems most of the tables are really close together at the restaurants I've seen. I have ADRs at Paradiso 37 and Captains Grill, both for dinner. At least in the pictures the tables didn't seem so close together. I really wanted to book at Rose and Crown, but I just don't think that restaurant will work. Any opinions on the two restaurants I reserved, and also opinions on restaurants that maybe are a bit more intimate (I know its Disney, so I may be asking alot)? We are staying at POR. I added to the reservation that we'd rather have a table, since my husband cannot tolerate his back to the door. We don't mind waiting for a table for a bit. We will be staying 5 nights and we have the dining plan. Thanks for any advice!

Go for meals at some of the lesser packed resorts, like Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge, The Artist's Palate at Saratoga Springs, Olivia's at Old Key West, Sanaa and Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Artist's Palette is quick service, but your philosophy is spot-on. Turf Club at Saratoga should fit this category.

^^ Jiko would be a good one. Perhaps a table in the large windows
(pic from disneyfoodblog)

I would try and be sure to have early or late reservations.
God bless your husband :grouphug:

Seating-11.jpg

This might sound odd, but I always notice how quiet Sci-Fi is. I mean, the movies can be loud-ish but we are always seated in the back for some reason? and b/c you have your own car, you are not touching or rubbing shoulders with other people. I guess it's quiet b/c people are facing fwd and staring at the screens :laughing:
Cars-and-movie-2.jpg

If you've never been, it is dark in there. But it's peaceful for an early lunch (we haven't been for dinner in recent years).
Good luck :hug:

We had 5pm dinner at Sanaa. The restaurant was maybe half full, and we were seated by the windows (so we could watch the animals). Especially compared to other WDW restaurants, it was very quiet and relaxed. (The food was also quite good, particularly the bread service.)

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful vacation!

I would focus on the resort restaurants and not at the parks. Even with low crowds, the parks will have crowds to wade through and the restaurants tend to have the tables closer together.

I second owynn's suggestion for WL's Artist Point. We didn't eat there but I kept walking by and thinking that I would like to eat there without my kids, lol. There is also a nice lounge at WL-the Territory Lounge. Both seemed very quiet to me.

One of the restaurants at Yacht Club might also be good. That resort is also relatively quiet. Under construction now, so check schedule b/c of potential loud noises.

Not sure if Victoria & Albert is in your budget but I ate there with DH a long time ago. It was very quiet.

I would take a look online via Google images and even call the restaurant to see if you can ask for a specific type of table. I would consider eating dinner early. I wouldn't do buffets either. I also don't like crowds and I find if I book at 5pm we are finished by the time the place fills up.

I hope you have an amazing vacation!

Last edited:
Jiko and trails end at fort wilderness also has some tables that are spread out more. If you happen to be looking for something for a nice dinner and you have transportation, the Gaylord palms resort has an absolutely incredible restaurant called old hickory, all of the tables are spread out And intimate, and the food is amazing! Have a wonderful trip!

You may want to note on your reservation that he does not want to be facing away from the door. I would think that could be accommodated and might save some embarrassment/hassle if you needed to switch tables. I would also note that you may not want to dine at the Contemporary during fireworks because of the noise. Don't know if that is a trigger for him, but it could be.

Artist's Palette is quick service, but your philosophy is spot-on. Turf Club at Saratoga should fit this category.
What PP said And to boot, it has one of the best Prime rib's too... Turf Club that is.

I'd definitely say Sanaa as well as Jiko over at AKL...
CSR has a hidden gem as well called Las Ventanas

Depending on your budget, and dare I say..V&A possibly the chefs table???

Jiko is very nice. The tables are farther apart than other restaurants and it's never been completely full when we've been there. We also find Il Mulino at the Swan is less busy and tables are farther apart. They also don't try to churn the tables quite so much so you can spend more time with each other - makes for a somewhat more romantic atmosphere. California Grill is also not too bad in terms of the number of tables for the size of the place.

I think Captain's Grille is a good choice. If you would like a signature restaurant, I agree with the PP's suggestion of Artist Point. It's lovely and quiet. I, too, would avoid park restaurants. If you are looking for a lunch near MK, try an early or late lunch at the Wave at CR. We ate there once around 1 pm and had almost the whole place to ourselves.

I would also suggest calling the Disney Dining line and having your requests noted on your reservation. Let them know why you are making the request. I think you will find most restaurants will do their best to accommodate. We ate at Le Cellier once and there was a family there with an older child who had a disability which caused him to make some loud sounds. For their privacy, they requested to sit at a table that was away from other families. They were seated at a table which really wasn't visible to other guests. I was happy they were able to be accommodated and enjoy their meal together.

I hope you enjoy your trip. A big thanks to your husband for his service to our country.

I agree with the Wave at the Contemporary. Ive been several times and the restaurant was not even 1/2 full. Grand Floridian Cafe is also a very quiet restaurant. Chefs de France in Epcot is quiet for lunch..The restaurant in China is too. Try eating at off normal hours. Between 2 - 4 for lunch, after 7:30 for dinner (except Epcot..people tend to eat later to be there for the 9pm Illuminations)

Agree with other people about eating at off times, i.e. late breakfasts 11am, early dinners 5pm or when they first open. Also second Grand Floridian Cafe, it's a large seating area and we've always been able to walk-in because it is often not busy. Someone also mentioned Trails End, due to it's location a lot of people don't really know about it.

Most of the "signature restaurants" fit the bill.

Artists point would be pretty ideal...yachtsmans...Monsieur Paul...

I would avoid anything at downtown... Its congested/compressed due to to the massive construction.

As already suggested... The two restaurants at animal kingdom.

All of those are pricey... However.

Might went to steer towards the turf club or Olivia's... Which has also been suggested.

If you want to go to a "non-Disney" spot right in the middle of everything... The restaurants
At the swan and the dolphin all are good and tend to be more "business like".

And the San angel inn ( Mexico, EPCOT) is quiet and dark...which is the theming.

Perhaps mama melrose and brown derby...

Obviously... I would avoid the character spots and the magic kingdom restaurants...not the right fit.

I hope you have a great, relaxing trip...you both undoubtedly deserve it.

Agree with all the above posters - pick non-park places and avoid busy meal times. Just wanted to weigh in to say God Bless You, Your Husband and Your Family.
Your service to our country is so very much appreciated and I pray he finds peace, thank you.

If you want to do Rose and Crown - book a late lunch. Sanaa for lunch on your AK day - pick a BW place on your EPCOT day and maybe The Wave or Fort Wilderness Trails End (very relaxing atmosphere) on your MK day. I think avoiding the busiest times will work best. Tables can be shifted during busy times so you never know until you get there how the seating will be.

What a wonderful gift your husband gave you and I hope you have a fantastic time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter