Best Restaurant for 12yr old boy birthday dinner in Disney World...

gavsgirl

Mouseketeer
Having 2 young boys I've always had great luck with character dining (ohana and chef mickey, etc.) but this trip we are taking along some family and we need a great place to celebrate for a 12 year old's birthday this December. He hasn't been to Disney World since he was 5 or so, so he doesn't remember much, or have any favorite places to eat. He's currently into star wars (aren't we all), but other than the cantina, I don't think there's any star wars themed dining experiences? Just looking for a fun "experience" where he'll have a good, memorable time. Love to hear some suggestions!

Thanks!

Last edited:
T-Rex would be fun, or Sci-Fi. They tease you at Prime Time and Whispering Canyon Cafe, so he may like that. The San Angel Inn at Epcot has really cool decor. The buffet at Tusker House has different food options and a few safari Disney characters (may make it more acceptable for a 12 year old LOL).

Have FUN!!!!

If you are open to a dinner show, HDDR is great for a boy that age. Otherwise, my DS10 favorites are Via Napoli, Ohana, and Teppan Edo.

I think the menu is similar to the Star Wars breakfast they have held at this location, but this is just a new breakfast they are testing at Sci-Fi. I do not think it is Star Wars themed.
Yep, I'm pretty sure you're right.

A few ideas:
HDDR, if he has a corny sense of humor.
Cali Grill, timed for during Wishes (may be hard to get ADR this late)
1900 Park Fare, if he would find the Step-sisters fussing over him to be funny and not embarrassing (would be a rare 12-year-old, but it's possible and could be epic)
Coral Reef, for the aquarium view
Splitsville, and combine it with a night of family bowling
AMC Theaters - do I recall that you can eat during a movie? That could be cool for a 12-year-old who has never done it.

Sci-Fi is really cool! T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe are both fun, though the food isn't great. O'hana is fun and they call everyone who is celebrating up to the floor for a special song.

My 12 year old son loved California grill with the fireworks. When I asked what he would do again, that was his request.

My 13 yo was WAY past thinking T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe were cool by 11, although everyone is different :) He did love HDDR at 11 and wants to go back, and has been asking to try Splitsville for awhile now. He also really enjoys Sanaa at AKL :thumbsup2

My vote would be for HDDR if you wanted something really fun that isn't a character meal.

My 12 year old son LOVES Sci-Fi and T-Rex! We will be celebrating his birthday while we are there (his 13th) at HDDR, although I think the Star Wars breakfast would be super cool too!

During our last visit we visited pretty much every popular restaurant during our 11 day stay. So, when planning our next trip I asked both my 10 and 12 year old sons what their favorite restaurant was that they could not miss trying again and both said California Grill. We were there for the fireworks and they loved the experience!

My 12 YO son loved Whispering Canyon Café (we had an amazing, funny, interactive server) and 'Ohana. A 12 year old boy eats - a lot - and both restaurants allowed him to eat all he wanted, plus the food was good. My son is not really into theming, but definitely enjoyed the environment of both restaurants.

Is he a sports fan at all? If so, the ESPN restaurant at the boardwalk is awesome. My 7 year old LOVED it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter