Best Resort in Orlando for Business Meeting

Pugsley

DIS Veteran
I’ve been tasked with choosing a resort in Orlando for a business meeting in February. I want it to be really fantastic so my boss will want to keep going back! Does anyone have an opinion on the best resort in Orlando to hold a business meeting? The meeting facilities are actually not the most important thing since it’s a really small meeting. What I’m more concerned with is the quality of the resort, its food and its sleeping rooms. Price is not really an issue. The attendees are used to first class meeting venues and I want them to be impressed! It also needs to have a golf course onsite or very nearby. I’m considering the Gaylord Palms, Omni Championsgate, Marriott World Center. What do you think? Which one is the best? Or is there another resort I should consider?

I would vote Gaylord Palms No 1 without a doubt...especially if it is really a big big convention. Great location, fantastic facility.

I have heard great things about Coronado Springs at Disney also if it is a really big event. CS will have suites as well as just rooms and not sure if GP has mostly just rooms.

I would think that for a smaller group, that Disney Boardwalk or Disney Yacht or Beach club would be a great setting.

Champions Gate is nice but in the middle of nowhere with golf as the main attraction. Marriott World Center is huge huge, but I hear parking is a mess.

Good Luck....Ted

Thanks for the reply, Ted! I think my boss wants to keep it off Disney property (although I MIGHT be able to sway him), and they are definitely going to want to play golf, so Gaylord and Omni would probably be good. Probably doesn't matter if it's not too close to anything since we'll spend most of the time at the resort. I'm also considering Portofino Bay, but I don't know if there's any golf nearby. Also thinking about Ritz Grand Lakes. Any more thoughts?

I will tell you what I know about the World Center, as I have stayed there many times, although never as a conventioner. I have only been there on vacation. I did attend a convention at Coronado, and will tell you my experience there, as well.

The World Center has a challenging golf course (Hawk's Landing) that goes around the resort. Personally, I love playing it, even though it whips me up pretty good.

I have always enjoyed staying there on vacation, even though it is geared more towards the convention crowd.

There are several decent, albeit expensive, places to eat on site.

The pool is fabulous, if that is important.

I don't know that parking is "a mess", but the parking garage is a bit of a hike from the main hotel lobby, but is closer to the meeting rooms. There is a shuttle that takes you from the garage to the lobby, but I just suck it up and valet my vehicle while I stay there, and that works out fine for me.

As for Coronado, while I was an attendee, I also had a group of clients included in the meeting, and I arranged for a 20 person dinner at the California Grill (at the Contemporary Resort), which was simply terrific.

The resort itself is rather spread out, and it was quite a hike from my room to the meetings each morning. The rooms were decent enough, but certainly nothing to write home about.

If I had to chose between the two, and only those two, I'd take World Center, be it for work or pleasure.

Pugsley, I just noticed that you are also from NoVa. Sorry I didnt catch that in my first response!

thepwa, thanks for the response. A nice golf course is definitely important for these people. Coronado Springs is actually one of my favorite resorts, but it’s not high brow enough for this group. The Marriott may not be either, since we usually do these meetings at world class resorts and it’s hard to impress these people. Plus the Marriott is so huge. I'm wondering if I'd be better off finding a really nice, relatively small resort since I only have a small group and don't need much as far as conference facilities.

I’m also going to need to think of an evening activity for us. Dinner at California Grill sounds like a great idea – I adore that place put hadn’t really thought of it for a large group. My boss has even mentioned taking everyone to La Nouba.

Yep, I’m pretty close to you – Lorton!

Well I can definately recommend the CG for a group dinner. They put us in a private room, had our own well stocked bar, and our own access to the balcony for Wishes. The food was served "family style" but that did not seem to bother anyone. Like I said, we had a group of about 20. I am not sure what CG's limit would be.

We had a terrific selection of appetizers while during our pre-dinner cocktail hour, and then a fabulous meal.

It got great reviews from all of the people who attended.

Good luck on the planning.

Hi again, if golf is big, and money is no object, then the Ritz Carlton with its golf course would be 1st class but it is expensive. Golf Course goes right around the hotel like the Hawks Landing at Marriott. It is called Grand Lakes Golf Course. They do a fore caddy that is extra and again it is expensive.

Golf from the Gaylord would be close, especially Falcon's Fire Golf Course just east off of Osceola Parkway...only 2-3 minutes from the hotel.

Marriott would be very nice for handy golf, and the valet is a great idea.

Omni would have two golf courses, but limited food options. No other restaurants close and I have not heard great things about the food there.

They do have a small strip mall a mile from the hotel with pizza, Chinese, Subway and a grocery and booze store.

Good Luck, it would be hard to disappoint with any of the above choices...

Ted

JW Marriott or Ritz.

I have been to meetings at Gaylord. It's HUGE. I hated all the walking. The meeting area is MILES away from the rooms.

I have been to meetings at the Marriott World Center. It's OK, but the JW and Ritz are SO MUCH nicer.

Haven't done Champions Gate.

Did the Hyatt Grand Cypress too. IT was nice.

The best one by far was the Ritz. OUTSTANDING staff. TRUE Deluxe. Just so much nicer then any of the others (or any of the Disney hotels!) This is the only one on your list that's truly going to measure up if they want "world class resort"

I'd have to agree with Carol! I didn't bring up the JW or the Ritz because they are a little farther out than the others mentioned, but they certainly have all of the options.

(I also didn't want to start sounding like a walking ad for Marriott!)

thepwa, thanks for the response. A nice golf course is definitely important for these people. Coronado Springs is actually one of my favorite resorts, but it’s not high brow enough for this group. The Marriott may not be either, since we usually do these meetings at world class resorts and it’s hard to impress these people. Plus the Marriott is so huge. I'm wondering if I'd be better off finding a really nice, relatively small resort since I only have a small group and don't need much as far as conference facilities.

I’m also going to need to think of an evening activity for us. Dinner at California Grill sounds like a great idea – I adore that place put hadn’t really thought of it for a large group. My boss has even mentioned taking everyone to La Nouba.

Yep, I’m pretty close to you – Lorton!

What about the JW - I know a friend who had a meeting there and was very pleased - I think it might be calmer than the Marriott World Center.

ETA: Sorry for the repeat suggestion of the JW -- I did not read the other replies -- another suggestion is the Rosen Shingle Creek.

Liz

For golf and first class amenities, Ginn can not be beat. I understand that a lot of business meeting are here so they'll be able to assist you.

To be very honest Ginn is a spectacular resort, but I have talked to many folks who say the food service is still in the early stages of getting off the ground. Lots of complaints about slow service and so so food...just FYI, but it is quite a place. I assume they have a conference center by the condo/hotel somewhere.

I too think Ginn is a little under-developed. It's more for the vacation home/condo crowd.

I second (third? fourth?) the recommendation of the Ritz, with the JW as a decent second choice.

I noticed your posting and wanted to respond on behalf of the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. We are located just 6 miles Southwest of Walt Disney World in the new master-planned community of ChampionsGate. The resort is surrounded by 36 holes of Greg Norman-designed golf and the World Headquarters for the David Leadbetter Golf Academy. The resort offers meeting attendees the convenience of walk-out golf with a continuous golf cart shuttle to and from the golf course and academy.

In addition to golf, there is a 15-acre recreation area with an 850-ft. lazy river, zero entry family pool, water slide, a formal quiet pool with private cabanas, and a lighted 9-hole par 3 pitch and putt. Tennis courts, sand volleyball, kids club, a full service Spa, and seven restaurants and lounges round out the recreation and amenities offered.

Meeting space consists of more than 70,000 square feet of boardrooms, ballrooms and breakouts. In addition, there are a number of outdoor venues, and a 13,200 sq. ft. pavillion.

Already a recipient of several major meeting industry awards, including the AAA Four Diamond, Meeting & Conventions Gold Key and Successful Meetings Pinnacle award, our resort is also known for outstanding food and beverage as well banquet and catering service.

If you have not seen the property, we invite you to stop by for a site tour. Our sales team is ready to assist you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter