• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best resort for young kids...Poly?

DadMomBoyGirlBoy

Earning My Ears
We are taking our 2, 4 and 6 year olds on their first Disney trip next spring and are just trying to get ideas for hotels. From what we have read, it seems like everyone loves the Poly. Would this be the best choice with such young kids?

It would be the best resort for you but not the kids. the kids would like pop or ASMovie because they can relate to the over sized icons

We will be taking all our kids for the first time (older ones have been, but this is youngest's first trip). We decided on Contemporary just because I have always wanted to stay there. Maybe next time will be Poly! We will be checking it out when we eat at Ohana's. Good luck with the planning.

we took our 1 year old and 3 1/2 year old at the time (oct 2005) and stayed at the Pop Century...the kids loved it....we liked it as well and in fact we're planning another trip this year and will probably end up staying there again or at the All Star Music Resort

Have to disagree about the Poly. I think your kids would LOVE it! We went there when our boys were 2 and 4 and again when they were 3 and 5. They loved watching the water parade from the beach and the zero entry pool. They also have a water slide that's not too scary and they allow floatation vests (provided) on the slide. MK is a short, fun, boat ride away or you can take the monorail too. When potty-trained they can go to Neverland Club; before that we just had the fairy godmothers come to the room when we needed a night out. Also, O'hanas has easy to eat kid-friendly food with lots of sauces for dipping. They also have 2 doubles and a daybed in the rooms. We'll be there again next week, so I'll let you know if my thoughts change.

OOOPs...also forgot to mention that you'll probably spend the most time in MK. With staying on the monorail you could bop to the room for the 2 yo's nap or rest then get back to MK without wasting time. We often went back for lunch and a swim and then back to MK.

I think the poly is a great choice....

Rooms are a good size....right on monorail...
Make sure you relax one night by the pool and watch
wishes and electrical pageant...
Have a great trip...

Above poster mentioned SAB...while a great pool....
wouldnt recommend for watching 3 kids...
very spread out..
kerri

I think the Poly is ideal for kids. Mine LOVE it! It can't be beat for the convenience (monorail, boat, walk to TTC). The pool, the restaurants, the beach, fireworks from the beach, EWP, the enchanting lobby, the leis...

We have never stayed at Pop or AS, but many say their kids love the theming. I don't know...those big icons kinda scare ME! (No offense, just not my thing). Whatever you decide, you'll be in WDW! It's ALL good.

It all depends on your taste and your budget. Yes, monorail resorts and Epcot resorts are fantastic for the little ones and also for the adults. Nothing beats being able to easily hop back and forth between the parks and your resort, especially with little ones, strollers, baby/toddler supplies, etc. Sure, the trip is manageable if you stay at a bus-only resort, but if your budget allows then it sure is a plus to stay on the monorail. We also love Beach Club because of the pool area (sandy bottom, shallow water, etc.). And we also love being able to walk and/or boat to Epcot, Boardwalk, and MGM. And if we're already inside Epcot park, then we normally take the monorail over to MK.

With the ages of your kids I would definitely go for a monorail resort. While I love YC when my kids were that little we really spent much more time at MK than EPCOT or MGM. I love the Poly and GF, never stayed at CR. I think any of the monorail resorts would be a big hit. Don't let people tell you that your kids won't enjoy GF or Poly my kids loved it. They loved the beach, the pools, the relaxing atmosphere and most of all we all loved being able to hop on the monorail or a boat to get back to the resort in the middle of the day for a quick nap/swim break. Have fun!

We have stayed at WL and at POP with our 3 boys and they liked both hotels very much. This year we are trying the POLY and I'm sure they'll be happy there. My kids just like being in a hotel room and having a pool, not picky at all. So, we usually choose what our budget allows us to do that particular year.

Have fun wherever you stay!

I highly recommend the Poly for families with small children if the budget will allow. :thumbsup2 We stayed there in Jan with our 2, 5, and 9 year olds. The kids loved the hotel-the lobby, the tiki torches at night, the boats on the marina and the lake. It was too cold for the pool but it would have been a good size for our kids. I would be too concerned with losing the smaller ones at Stormalong Bay, they are just too small for that yet. At the Poly, we could walk right out to the beach to watch the fireworks at night and could see the electric light parade on the lake from our patio (and we had garden view!). Plus the monorail access to two parks can't be beat, and Captain Cook's was great as well. Lastly, we spend most of our time at MK and Epcot with our young family and staying at the Poly really cuts down on the transit time.

I have stayed at CBR and the buses were just too much of a struggle with strollers or sleeping children at night. Have a wonderful time.

Last year we stayed at the Poly for the first time. My kids were then 9, 7, and 4. This year, we're returning, and I tried to talk them into a new place, like the Beach Club. Well, no one would change. They LOVE the Poly for the monorail, pool, restaurants, and theme...they really liked the Hawaiian music and decor. So we're going back this year. I highly recommend the Polynesian if you've got little kids, for all the reasons others have noted above. It's a great place.

My own personal view if a budget wasn't in effect is the Poly, having a budget, then its WL. But let me state back when late 1970's, when all our madness began we stayed at the Contemporary, probably for at least 6 trips. Kids loved the gameroom, and movies shown inside the game room. Pool was okay for them. Move on to a future trip and Disney called and invited us to upgrade from CR to GF, same money. We jumped at the chance and stayed at the GF but WL was completed that same time and we wandered over and fell in love with the Lodge, really didn't care for the GF experience at all. Fast forward to present, throw in some stays at Y&B Club, due to daughter doing college program and working in EPCOT, and some Poly stays, again great CM discount from daughter, one AKL stay which we did not like and some WL stays and we arrive at today. Discounts are gone so unless we can snag a good AP discount at the Poly, everything is great about this resort, we opt for WL for its themeing, and pool and location. We like the MK and Fort Wilderness and getting there quick fits us to a tee. Cheapest priced of the deluxes in MK area, short hop to CR to board monorail to all resort in MK loop and access to EPCOT via same monorail.

No matter where you place your bag at any of the MK resorts, is sheer pleasure, children will enjoy the deluxe ammenities at all. Its just different themeing and prices but CR had the biggest gameroom on property but with the relocation in CR who knows the out come. We always spend time in CR either gamerooming or shopping while staying at WL. We pop over to FW for pizza and beer, Trails End has the best buffets on property, hardly ever packed and great choices.

We took our 3 kids (7, 5, 2) to the Poly. We had a blast there. They loved Ohanas, the Luau, the ease of using the monorail. The room was spacious and the grounds are beautiful. We loved watching the fireworks from the marina (with the music pumped in to the resort as a nice touch). We enjoyed water crafts and beach time.

But far and away, what they enjoyed the most was the pool. It was awesome.

Don't underestimate the value of having a monorail close by. It made afternoon trips to the resort for naps and pool time a piece of cake!

Given the ages of your kids, I would say Poly. You will be spending the majority of your time at the MK and not having to ride on a bus for 15 min is heaven. The pool is great for kids, but on the small side...I spent my honeymoon there 20 years ago, and it is still one of my favorites places. Contem is good, but the tower is very busy. I think the laid back atmosphere of the Poly is very relaxing after a hectic day at the park. Having said that, my all time favorite resort in Disney is YC/BC....but that might not be realistic, if you're spending the majority of your time at the MK. Have fun! Those are fun ages to bring the kids!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter