• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best resort for Christmas time?

cwnhokie

DIS Veteran
We are planning a long weekend the beginning of December for our family and taking the grandparents along. They have never stayed onsite before and we want immerse them in the onsite and Christmas decoration experience. We are looking at getting two studios narrowed down to WL or AKL. But would be open to BWV or BCV also since we have stayed at the first two but never the last two. Any suggestions? Pros and Cons of any?

While I am partial to BC/BCV..I do LOVE the WL around Christmas.It just feels like Christmas there to me

I think everyone will give you their opinion based on personal preferences and past memories and what's important to them. For me I love WL. I stay there as often as I can. Maybe I just want a log cabin in the woods. I can't get enough.

I have never stayed at any of the deluxe but i have been to all of theme during the holidays. I would suggest BCV/BWV. They have great christmas decoration with one having a gingerbread carosel and the other has a gingerbread gazebo. I think that they were also. There are also lots of beautiful trees and lights. At AKL and WL they have these huge trees and sometimes there are photopass people there that will take family pics. I would go with something new too but again that is JMO.

We have been at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club and the Swan at Christmas. All were lovely, but hands down my vote goes for the Beach Club. The chocolate carousel is amazing as is the gingerbread house (kids can make their own for a fee). Also, at Christmas time Disney transportation is extremely busy. Instead of waiting for a bus, we strolled to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and enjoyed the Disney :wave:wonders around us.

I've heard a lot of folks say they love WL for Christmas. My only concern is that I'm not sure I want to head south in December to stay at a place that feels like I'm up north. I'm thinking I may rather go some place that makes me feel warm in December. But I just don't know, maybe that won't feel Christmasy?

We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge while the Christmas decorations are up. My vote would be Wilderness Lodge. Location and transportation options are better there too.

I stay at POR almost every year, and I go out of my way to get over to WL at least once. It is hands down my favorite for Xmas decorations.

I have never been during Christmas season, but have read rave reviews of WL decorations at Christmas.

I've heard a lot of folks say they love WL for Christmas. My only concern is that I'm not sure I want to head south in December to stay at a place that feels like I'm up north. I'm thinking I may rather go some place that makes me feel warm in December. But I just don't know, maybe that won't feel Christmasy?

I stayed at CBR one year and it was Xmas - Caribbean style. The decorations were all in purple, orange, and yellow - so very tropical feel. They did "Xmas trees" out of poinsettas outside the entrance to the main building. They were mostly red, but with white ones scattered through it, to look like they were hanging ornaments. Really cool.

But the best part was on the way over to the Main Building, (I was staying in Aruba) the pathway had little tiny speakers hidden in the brush. They were playing christmas carols, reggae style, but the characters were singing. There is nothing like hearing Goofy sing Jingle Bells, with steel drums behind him. It was fabulous!:thumbsup2

Disney at Christmas time is so much fun. We've stayed at multiple resorts during this time period. If you're there exactly on Christmas Eve/Day, I highly recommend staying at a resort solely based on convenience (and of course decorations too). We were pleasantly surprised with the BC/YC resorts during Christmas because we liked being able to walk into both Epcot and DHS, and thus avoid having to rely on Disney transportation or our own transportation/parking. It just made things easier because the parks will be packed (to capacity in some cases). Also, there are a lot of dining choices in the BC/YC as well as Boardwalk, which is great if you don't want to/afraid of not getting into a park for a reservation. The BC, YC, and BW are all decorated to the nines as well, and are truly beautiful. The Dolphin (or maybe it was the Swan) also has a beautiful, huge Christmas tree with bright white lights. So pretty. We also stayed at the GF once during this time period and thoroughly enjoyed it. The gingerbread smell in the lobby was heavenly. In fact, all of the resorts I've mentioned thus far (with the exception of S/D) have their own unique "Christmas-y" scent. I can't get enough of it!

The one thing that drove me nuts about the GF was the crowds. Because the resort is so beautiful during Christmas, and justly so, it attracts a lot of people and the lobby can get extremely crowded (and can be, at times, not that relaxing). It should also be noted that you may not walk through the lobby every time to get to your room unless your staying in the main bldg concierge. It didn't necessarily take away from the Christmas theme, but it certainly wasn't the same as passing through the lobby of the BC or BW every time we went to/from our rooms. I should also mention that lots of people resort hop to check out the decorations so it's not just the GF that's packed with people; however, it was just more noticeable at the GF. Especially the area by the entrance to the monorail on the second (? I can't remember) floor.

Whatever you decide, Disney is truly magical at this time. Enjoy all the resorts- definitely resort hop if you get the chance.

The one thing that drove me nuts about the GF was the crowds. Because the resort is so beautiful during Christmas, and justly so, it attracts a lot of people and the lobby can get extremely crowded (and can be, at times, not that relaxing). It should also be noted that you may not walk through the lobby every time to get to your room unless your staying in the main bldg concierge. It didn't necessarily take away from the Christmas theme, but it certainly wasn't the same as passing through the lobby of the BC or BW every time we went to/from our rooms. I should also mention that lots of people resort hop to check out the decorations so it's not just the GF that's packed with people; however, it was just more noticeable at the GF. Especially the area by the entrance to the monorail on the second (? I can't remember) floor.

Whatever you decide, Disney is truly magical at this time. Enjoy all the resorts- definitely resort hop if you get the chance.

That is funny, because one of my traveling companions noticed the exact same thing; I always go the week after Thanksgiving, and had thought when I retire, I will splurge and stay at the GF. She commented on how crowded the lobby was that night, and it was a Monday!

However, when we got to the BW, she said, that was where she would stay. And I seem to be falling more and more in love with the BW every day.

Wilderness Lodge. The decorations are amazing!! Something about the "up north" feel that really makes it special.

As another person planning a December long weekend, you all have me second guessing myself..LOL!
I was sure I wanted to do AK because I'm doing a special "Mom and Me" trip with DS (7). When I took DS(15) at the same age, we stayed at WL and LOVED IT but I want to try somewhere new and thought DS would like AK.
We're all going in June to POR...
When I take each child alone, I want to do deluxe.
So anyway, now I'm thinking maybe we should do WL instead??
That being said, we live in Michigan so we get plenty of "Up North Christmas Feeling" here so maybe it won't be as special to us as it is for others...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter