• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best prepaid cell phone for a 10 year old

dsmith72

Mouseketeer
My son will be 10 in April and we would like to buy him a prepaid cell phone so that when he is out playing with neighbors he can check in with us and we can call him. What is the best option? We are w/Tmobile. We have an old phone we could pay $20 for a sim card, no activation fee and spend $100 for 1 year 1000 minutes service. But I don't know if we should look at tracfone, straighttalk, etc. What are your opinions?

We have a double minute TracFone. I pay $99 for one year of service and usually get over 1000 minutes. I have never had any trouble with service being out, etc. The phone is a camera phone LG and was free, DD wants the full keyboard for texting but they aren't available with TracFone.

My mom uses the t-mobile pay as you go phone and loves it. She only uses it to call home while out or if I need to get in contact with her. She bought a $100 card and has more than enough minutes.

We got DD a Tracphone when she was 11. Then we (sort of) put her on a budget of $x each month. When she used up her money, she was "phoneless" :). Our agreement with her was if she kept the Tracphone for a year (and it was still working), we'd put her on the family plan. She did and we did.

safelink.com may be a free option too by tracfone. We are in the process of getting this for dgs with visitation and contacts to relatives. It includes a plan with 250 minutes, another has less minutes a month but unlimited texting.

My dd has a tracfone on a family plane for $9.99 a month she receives 50 double minutes to 100. I paid $19.99 for the samsung slide phone double minutes, with the extras as a case, auto charger, etc. This was over a year ago and going well.
:surfweb:

I like Page Plus Cellular. They offer prepaid plans using the Verizon network.

I bought my DD10 a used LG 8550 (chocolate) phone on eBay for about $25, and activated it with Page Plus. I then got her a $10 prepaid cell phone card (100 minutes). I only need to add minutes once every 4 months. Page Plus also has other phone plans like a $25 card (400 minutes) or a talk n text plan. Unused time carries over when additional minutes are purchased to continue service.

My boys have basic tracfones. I think I paid $8 for one phone and $14 for the other. They don't text and know I expect that they will only use the phones for needed calls, so they usually run out of time before they run out of minutes! I would say I pay about $60 a year for time/minutes per phone.

One warning, if you let them run out of time, you loose your minutes. My older son had 70 minutes left, ran out of time, and when I added time, those 70 minutes disappeared!

My son will be 10 in April and we would like to buy him a prepaid cell phone so that when he is out playing with neighbors he can check in with us and we can call him. What is the best option? We are w/Tmobile. We have an old phone we could pay $20 for a sim card, no activation fee and spend $100 for 1 year 1000 minutes service. But I don't know if we should look at tracfone, straighttalk, etc. What are your opinions?

If you have Tmobile family plan already than it is only like $5 a month to add a line and for another $5 a month you can add family allowances to control his useage. Also, you can do it without a contract. My kids are on our Tmobile plan and it has worked out nicely here.

I like Page Plus Cellular. They offer prepaid plans using the Verizon network.

I bought my DD10 a used LG 8550 (chocolate) phone on eBay for about $25, and activated it with Page Plus. I then got her a $10 prepaid cell phone card (100 minutes). I only need to add minutes once every 4 months. Page Plus also has other phone plans like a $25 card (400 minutes) or a talk n text plan. Unused time carries over when additional minutes are purchased to continue service.
I also went with Page Plus Cellular for my (then) 10-year old DD.

looked at all the prepaid plans (including Net10 and TracFone) and the reason why I chose Page Plus was their "Top up" requirement for keeping the account active is longer than their competitors. It is 120 days instead of the traditional 90 days. I didn't expect my DD to use her phone often (and I was right) so I looked at the minimum a phone would cost me to keep activated. I can buy 100 Page Plus minutes for $10 and they last 120 days. So, my yearly cost for the phone is $30. TracFone sells 60 minute cards for $20 but they only last 90 days. So, I would have buy and extra card to cover the year and I would end up spending $80 for about the same number of minutes (assuming they are doubled as many TracFone minutes are).

safelink.com may be a free option too by tracfone.
This safelink.com thing really ticks me off. No one in my family has a cell phone because we can't afford one, yet my taxes are being spent to give others cell phones. If I wasn't buying other people cell phones for them, perhaps I would have one myself. Frustrating.

I use Tracfone myself and plan to get DD one soon. DH is on Verizon but it would double our bill to go to family and add her. I am looking at a phone that comes with double minutes, and the 1500 minute annual plan. That would give her 3000 minutes and we wouldn't have to do anything for a year. $200 for the year. I actually get by on less than that myself, but if she doesn't use much, we can buy less minutes the next year. Plus, texts take only .3 minutes.

If you have Tmobile family plan already than it is only like $5 a month to add a line and for another $5 a month you can add family allowances to control his useage. Also, you can do it without a contract. My kids are on our Tmobile plan and it has worked out nicely here.

I was going to suggest adding him also except my dd's phone is $10 per month. I don't limit her usage as she only uses a few minutes a month which is likely what it sounds like this child would do. Now texting:scared1: I added her to my unlimited plan for $5. At one point she was doing over 10,000 a month.:confused3 Now she is doing a bit less but I figure for $15 total extra month it is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter