Best ponchos?

LISmama810

Mouseketeer
i want to take some ponchos with us for our trip in June, but I don't want the super-thin, plasticky, garbage-bag-type ones you can find for 99 cents. I'd like something a little better quality, but also not huge, and preferably not too expensive. Does such a thing exist? (I'd need kid and adult sizes.)

I buy the ones from target for $1.25 and then just throw them away instead of carrying them around.

But are they the thin, clingy kind that stick to you when you walk? That's what I want to avoid. I have some of those in the glove compartment, but I'd rather find something a little thicker and less clingy.

Here is what I bought my daughter (who is 5): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV75GNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was thicker than most ponchos and worked great for her.

This is what we bought, but does not fit what you are looking for: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWX5NA7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 however, they worked great. They were a full sleeve, compared to a lot that we saw that were half sleeve (which I don't get- why would you want half your arm getting wet?!).

I'm considering getting DS and I each one of the Ikea ponchos. They are nylon, not plastic, have a front pocket and fold up into the pocket. They aren't as small as an unopened dollar store plastic poncho but still very compact. We each have a WDW poncho that have served us well but since we go in late August they get very sticky in the high humidity

Used them all and was looking for something that worked but wasn't hot plastic. Saw a kid at DHS with this really cute one on and asked if she was staying dry. YES. I saw the tag was IKEA. So I bought them for all of us and LOVE them. No leaks, does well around the face, lightweight, no sweating, dries fast and folds up easy into a pouch.

They come in a variety of colors, and even change every few years, I think we have 4 all different colors. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50330499/

I also got matching tote that folds super tiny and
its great to throw them in when still damp
or have for carrying any sudden purchase.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80330493/

The Super Walmart in Florida (Turkey Lake Road) has similar Disney ponchos for $3 kids and $4 for adults. we got matching darth vadar and Minnie ones

The Disney ones are actually quite good despite being on the more expensive side. If they tear, Disney will replace for free and they are a good thickness. So if you will be going back, I'd recommend thinking about buying them. Plus if you have discounted gift cards and/or an AP, you should be able to get a discount that way.

We bought some Disney ones and have used them for 17 years! We actually go 2 times a year and have 2 sets we rotate in case they get wet. They are starting to turn color from clear to slighty yellow, we store them in the luggage all year when not in use. One does have a rip, how long do they replace them??? I have had several replaced with the newer style.

The Disney ones are actually quite good despite being on the more expensive side. If they tear, Disney will replace for free and they are a good thickness. So if you will be going back, I'd recommend thinking about buying them. Plus if you have discounted gift cards and/or an AP, you should be able to get a discount that way.
This is my plan this year. IF we need ponchos, I'm just going to buy the Disney ones. We seem to go back frequently enough that the 'replacement' policy is worth the extra $1.50 ...

I waited for a sale on them at the Disney store before our trip (they were having a 2 for $ deal) . We only used them once our last trip, but they are actually really nice. They are going in the suitcase for the next one!

If you are not wanting Disney themed ones. We use a rain jacket. Ours are super light weight, and fold up into a built in pouch, and take up no room in the day bag. This gives me a 2 for 1 in case it gets cool in a restaurant I can use it as a regular jacket. I like I can roll up the hood and zip it in the collar. A few good shakes and most of the water sheds right off, I have used hand dryer in the restroom before to dry them or a couple of paper towels. Fold them in the pouch and throw them in the bag. They are Columbia and North face. We travel a lot so this was a investment, in our travel gear. I can't tell you how many countless times we have used them, and they saved us from getting wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter