• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Point & Shoot?

katt789

DIS Veteran
Hey friends! So after a mishap with my camera being lost out of my luggage the way home from the last Disney trip, I'm in need a new camera.

What is your favorite point & shoot to use? I had a Canon Digital Elph camera and liked it, but want something a little bit more "high tech", and mainly for taking good Disney pictures.

That being said I have a price range of max $250/$300, and am looking for something small, I don't want to have to lug around something with a detatchable lens.

So that all being said, what would you suggest??

Thanks!!a

I'm a fan of travel zoom cameras (most now approach 20x ) because I think it's fun to get pictures like this:
DSC02311.jpg

And I really like my Sony DSC HX-30 (HX-20 is the same camera minus wi-fi. There have been a few reports of stores selling the HX20 for $299 within the past few months)

The Canon SX-260 is another great travel zoom option, and the Panasonic TZ30 ( and I think the non-touchscreen tz20?)

I would start by looking at reviews at dpreview.com

Then get a feel for them at stores (the ergonomics of the Sony were better to me vs the Canon but I know not everyone is the same)

The enthusiast category is the other main category. The enthusiast cameras have brighter lenses and/or larger sensors to take much better pictures in low light. (but do not have the zoom reach of a travel zoom)
The Canon S95 and s100 are the most compact cameras in this group.

I really like the Canon S95 which is a large bump up from your previous camera. I also like the SONY NEX-5 however it is not really a point and shoot and it is more money...

My iPhone. I point. I shoot. Pictures get uploaded automatically so I never lose them.

51E7821D-3AE8-4050-9A3F-F13399D52E47.JPG

I am having fun with my new Panasonic Lumix ZS20. Does great zoom and action for what I wanted. Even does great multi shooting in action so I can get the girls swimming

7429135094_5e855895ef_b.jpg

7429131974_54053d8968_b.jpg

Another recommendation for the Canon S95. In my opinion (and I owned both and compared), it's even better than the newer model, the S100.

Check Slickdeals.net for good deals on point-n-shoots.

Few weeks back I picked up the Canon S100 for $299 and free shipping through Adorama's Ebay site. I like all the manual settings on it but can be put into EZ mode and handed off to someone else.

I am having fun with my new Panasonic Lumix ZS20. Does great zoom and action for what I wanted. Even does great multi shooting in action so I can get the girls swimming
I've been looking at getting the Lumix ZS15, the ZS20's sister camera. How does the ZS20 handle with night shooting? One of my biggest complaints with my last camera was its inability to capture Disney World at night. It was either a dim picture or a blurry picture (though some of that could have been user error). Have you had any experience with the ZS20 at night?

Also, would you recommend purchasing a second battery to take to the parks, or do you generally find the 260 picture battery limit sufficient? Thanks!

I've been looking at getting the Lumix ZS15, the ZS20's sister camera. How does the ZS20 handle with night shooting? One of my biggest complaints with my last camera was its inability to capture Disney World at night. It was either a dim picture or a blurry picture (though some of that could have been user error). Have you had any experience with the ZS20 at night?

Also, would you recommend purchasing a second battery to take to the parks, or do you generally find the 260 picture battery limit sufficient? Thanks!

I'm not sure about the nighttime question. Generally camera makers have certainly improved the technology with time, but there is only do much a small sensor can do with low light with motion.

On the battery question, I would absolutely recommend one.
It does depend on shooting style (video cs stills vs flash) and quantity if it is necessary. Even if the battery would have the capacity for a days use, you do not want to be that guy trying to figure out how to buy a battery because yours failed while you are on vacation.

Another vote for the Canon S95. It has some great manual features that normal point and shoots don't have and does really well with the low light setting as well. I just wish it had more zoom sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter